Sweeping Sagas discussion

Group Reads > Southern Cross Terry Coleman Part 2

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 478 comments Mod
Spoilers from Part 1 may be freely discussed so consider yourself warned.

message 2: by Jill (new)

Jill Grrrr. I have just finished Part I and I am not happy.
Baudin dies???!!! I thought that this was a saga of Baudin and Susannah.

Anyone else a little surprised?

message 3: by Misfit (new)

I think the jacket description on the paperback is very misleading (good thing Harriet never reviewed it). I'm guessing now that she is going to have a great love, but it will be someone else.

The writing is coming off as kind of cold and distant to me, although I can't quite put my finger on what he's doing. I'm just not connecting with Susannah as much as I'd like to.

message 4: by Misfit (new)

Good god. Tyrone is a nutter. Must go and see if he was real.

message 5: by Jill (new)

Jill Okay, I'm finished.
While I quite enjoyed this book, I think I was a little put off after Part I when I realised it wasn't the book I thought it was going to be. I started off thinking it was to be a lifelong love affair between Susannah and Baudin, set against the backdrop of a developing Australia. After Baudin died near the end of Part I I lost some enthusiam.

As Misfit mentioned, the writing was a little cold to me as well. Although honestly I couldn't say for sure if I'd found it that way with different expectations at the outset of the book.

I enjoyed the history, though not as much as I usually do. Maybe this was because for me, it wasn't balanced out with a satisfying family saga. I mean the family lost someone important early on.

Still it was good, just not great.

Anyone else done?

message 6: by Misfit (new)

I'm about half way through. DON'T TELL ME, but I suspect I'll be angry if Boudin is that grand passion the jacket mentioned and no one else comes along later.

I agree about the expectations, if I go in expecting grand romance and passion in a saga and then get a dryer historical that can and will have an impact on the reading experience.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Well I'm only in the middle of Part II. I didn't really care for Part I at all....like Jill, I didn't feel any connection or great romance between Sue and Boudin. It felt distant and calculating, not like a love saga at all, so I didn't mind when he croaked.

I'm liking Part II better (but only just).

message 8: by Misfit (new)

I was just getting into Part III when I nodded off last night.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Did you like Part II better than pt I?

message 10: by Misfit (new)

Michele wrote: "Did you like Part II better than pt I?"

Just a bit, some improvement but nothing to write home about.

message 11: by Misfit (new)

BTW, remember that book I requested from Bookmooch that never got sent for weeks and I finally cancelled the order and went through PBS for it? She mailed it, and well after I cancelled. Postmark is 12/30. I think I can make it look like an unopened package and return it.