Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Previous BRs - Authors; A - D > Auel, Jean M. - The Mammoth Hunters (Earth's Children, #3) Feb 15 2011

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments This topic is open for discussion of The Mammoth Hunters by Jean M. Auel. Please be prepared for SPOILERS.
The Mammoth Hunters (Earth's Children, #3) by Jean M. Auel

The UHQ Nasanta (uhqs) | 829 comments I'm up to the part after Ayla and Jondalar have told their tale. Lots of tension from Jondalar, and confusion from Ayla because of culture differences.

Anyone else?

message 3: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments I think we're at the same place.

A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol) (avidreader68) | 724 comments I'm on Chapter 13. I had to put this book aside for the time being. Need to finish some others.

message 5: by Shay (new)

Shay | 923 comments I'm almost 1/5 of the way through. I like Mammoth Hunters more than Valley of the Horses. But, less than Clan of the Cave Bear. I think because the first book, like a lot of first books, has that uniqueness.

The UHQ Nasanta (uhqs) | 829 comments The first book does have a uniqueness to it. I still think I like The Mammoth Hunters more - or at least I like it better than The Valley of Horses. I feel that Jondalar really changes in this book.

I'm about the part when Jondalar and Ayla go back to the valley.

About Jondalar
(view spoiler)

The UHQ Nasanta (uhqs) | 829 comments I'm at the part just before they celebrate the Spring Festival.

Anyone else?

message 8: by Shay (new)

Shay | 923 comments I'm at the point where Ayla (view spoiler)

message 9: by Shay (new)

Shay | 923 comments niquae wrote: "The first book does have a uniqueness to it. I still think I like The Mammoth Hunters more - or at least I like it better than The Valley of Horses. I feel that Jondalar really changes in this book..."

I think Jonalar, like most of us, is conflicted. It's both that he wants to save her from feeling embarrassed and being embarrassed of her. In a way, stopping Ayla from over-sharing her life story will protect her since few would sympathize and most would be openly hostile. But, that's self-interest on Jondalar's part because it makes it easier for him, too. I think he doesn't get that Ayla already went through not being accepted for who she was during her time with the Clan. He's weak, but not bad- like most of us.

message 10: by Shay (new)

Shay | 923 comments I'm kind of disappointed that we aren't finding out anything about what's going on in the Clan. I'd like to know what's happening to Ayla's son with Broud in charge. Maybe later in the book or series we'll find out?

message 11: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Okay, finally found time to start reading again. Up to page 190.

A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol) (avidreader68) | 724 comments I'm hoping to start reading again tomorrow.

message 13: by Shay (new)

Shay | 923 comments I really want to get done with book #5 before book 6 comes out. I have Book 6 on request at the library and if I don't read it, I won't get it again for months.

message 14: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments I intend to buy it so if you need to you can always borrow it from me.

message 15: by Shay (new)

Shay | 923 comments Lisarenee wrote: "I intend to buy it so if you need to you can always borrow it from me."

Thanks! I hope it's good. I'm always a little apprehensive about the book that ends a series. Will all of the questions be answered? Will they be answered in a way that makes sense? Also, sometimes I noticed authors have a tendency to want to make a statement about something or create a "legacy" instead of just writing a good book.

message 16: by The UHQ Nasanta (last edited Feb 28, 2011 10:11PM) (new)

The UHQ Nasanta (uhqs) | 829 comments I reached one of my favorite parts of this book - (view spoiler). I really love Frebec there. My other favorite part will be coming up soon - (view spoiler)

message 17: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments So Frebec gets nicer? He was a jerk to Ayla when they wanted to adopt her.

message 18: by The UHQ Nasanta (new)

The UHQ Nasanta (uhqs) | 829 comments People change in this book. :)

message 19: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments That's nice I really didn't want another Broud.I'm now past the part where they adopted Ayla and it was revealed that the may holy man (can't remember the M word for him) revealed he knew her clan. I suspected as much when Ayla knelt before him and he tapped her on the shoulder.

message 20: by The UHQ Nasanta (new)

The UHQ Nasanta (uhqs) | 829 comments I'm done with the book. I rushed partly because I wanted to read the parts at the end, and partly because I have library books due and another book I had meant to read in February. I will wait until the middle of March or so to read The Plains of Passage.

I was on the train when I got to a part that teared me up. I also liked how Ayla learned from Crozie about letting things go, and from Rydag about how lucky she is that Durc was accepted by the Clan. Ayla is so perfect in many ways that I think one of my favorite things about this book is that she too changes, showing that she is not quite so perfect after all. It is not just Ayla, but I loved reading about Jondalar's change (although I do frequently get tired of both Ayla and Jondalar angsting over their situation) of attitudes, and the hard lesson that he learned. I loved reading how the people in the Lion Camp changed their attitude, as well as the others of the Mamutoi. That is not to say everyone changed, but that's even better because despite the attraction Ayla draws from so many people, there are still many people who reject her because of her background and it is stated that not everyone who rejects her is a bad person.

Despite being such a Mary Sue character, I think that it is a testament to the author's ability to draw the readers into the world that it took me many rereads and critical reviews by other reads pointing out that Ayla is such a character. Until then, being submerged into Ayla's POV, knowing her background and her inability to understand the culture of the speaking people, Ayla's confusion about her situation with Jondalar and her discomfort due to the awed reactions of all the people regarding her control over the animals felt really authentic to me as I was reading this book.

A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol) (avidreader68) | 724 comments Every time I've read this book I despise Ranec a little more. He's a poacher and he's despicable. He collects the beautiful and the unusual and Ayla represents the ultimate piece for his collection. He wouldn't know true love if it bit him on the ass.

message 22: by The UHQ Nasanta (new)

The UHQ Nasanta (uhqs) | 829 comments I don't feel as strongly negative about Ranec as you but I do see where you are coming from. I've never felt comfortable that Ranec kept trying to take Ayla from Jondalar. Poacher is probably an apt description for him, as well as him being a collector. You are right. I wonder whether the author purposely emphasized this particular trait of his to show that Ranec's love was perhaps not as true as Jondalar's love for Ayla.

A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol) (avidreader68) | 724 comments From the first moment he stepped onto the page he tried his best to worm his way between Ayla and Jondalar, two people who were obviously a couple. I also see him as the worst kind of bully. He picks on people, but he does it in a sneaky way, making people believe he is humorous when he's really trying to make himself look better/feel better about himself. His wit is described as 'sly' and to me 'sly' is never a good thing. His suggestive comments about Ayla clearly made her uncomfortable yet he never stops. I find nothing to like about him.

I equally like and dislike this book. Ranec is a big reason I dislike it, but Jondalar being an ass is another.

After I finish, I'll post all my thoughts. :)

message 24: by Shay (new)

Shay | 923 comments Well, I wish authors would realize that the love triangle, as a plot device, is incredibly annoying. Most readers just loathe it. I can understand a little bit of it as the character decides, but if it goes on and on past a point where a normal person would have made a decision, it's just annoying.

A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol) (avidreader68) | 724 comments Shay wrote: "Well, I wish authors would realize that the love triangle, as a plot device, is incredibly annoying. Most readers just loathe it. I can understand a little bit of it as the character decides, but i..."

Agreed. Stephanie Plum

message 26: by Shay (new)

Shay | 923 comments Yes, Stephanie Plum, very annoying. Even though she's "chosen", she's still so wishy washy over the whole thing. If it weren't for Grandma Mazur and Lula, I'd avoid the series, I think.

message 27: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments lol Stephanie Plum. Why do I still read that series? I want Steph to just ditch Morelli and go for Ranger.

I kept thinking Jondalar should have a talk with Ayla so she knew how relationships worked in the "Other" world. You knew it was going to happen. It was only a matter of time.

A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol) (avidreader68) | 724 comments Agreed, Lisarenee. Morelli is constantly trying to change Steph, uses her for sex and doesn't respect her. Ranger loves her just the way she is. If this next book is more of the humdrum same-o, same-o then I'm done with the series.

I know conflict makes for a good story, but Jondalar really pisses me off in this book. Ayla not asking more questions about the social mores also irritates me, but I can understand considering the way she was raised. Anyway, I'm halfway thru the book, so I best get to it.

message 29: by Shay (new)

Shay | 923 comments But, it seems so odd to portray Ayla as fearless and going against society- like she did with the sling when she was with the Clan. Then, she's not brave enough to just talk to Jondalar about their relationship.

A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol) (avidreader68) | 724 comments The sling was something she could keep secret though and talking about feelings or relationships wasn't something they really did in the Clan. I agree though, she should have been a little more brave, but it's hard for her to throw off Clan social mores. Just like Ranec 'giving her the signal' then an actual command (at least to her) she did what a proper Clan woman would do and went to his bed.

message 31: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Could she truly have learned to talk about her feelings in the Clan? Yes, they communicated with hand signals, but she couldn't portray her thoughts about the rape to anyone either. Feelings never seemed to be discussed within the Clan. They didn't cry, never smiled, etc. I wonder if that has a part to play in her inability to discuss the problems she and Jondalar are experiencing.

message 32: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Shay, Another Goodreads giveaway of The Land of Painted Caves:

http://www.goodreads.com/giveaway/sho...

message 33: by Shay (new)

Shay | 923 comments Thanks, didn't see the new giveaway.

I think that Ayla really had a hard time seeing it as rape. I think that it was really ingrained in her that sex was a need like any other- like food. Or that's my perception of how it was in the Clan. Ayla got that she could object and that sometimes you may want to object because of the person asking, but that it was somehow rude to withhold sex from someone who "needed" it. It seemed to lack a certain emotional aspect in the Clan's world.

A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol) (avidreader68) | 724 comments I am so lazy when it comes to posting my thoughts! My intention is to sit down tomorrow morning and post for The Mammoth Hunters (Earth's Children, #3) by Jean M. Auel The Plains of Passage (Earth's Children, #4) by Jean M. Auel and The Shelters of Stone (Earth's Children, #5) by Jean M. Auel

message 35: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments You went on without me. *sniff* lol I'm slowly getting through this one. Hopefully by this weekend I'll be done. I'm about 500 pages in now.

A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol) (avidreader68) | 724 comments I'm sorry, Lisarenee. I got going and then didn't want to stop. lol I got side tracked this morning, but might be able to post thoughts this evening. I'm currently caught up in Anita Blake ;)

message 37: by The UHQ Nasanta (new)

The UHQ Nasanta (uhqs) | 829 comments Lisarenee wrote: "You went on without me. *sniff* lol I'm slowly getting through this one. Hopefully by this weekend I'll be done. I'm about 500 pages in now."

*pats Lisarenee* Don't worry. You still have me. :D Well, sort of. I finished The Mammoth Hunters but I won't be starting The Plains of Passage until some time next month.

message 38: by Lisarenee (last edited Mar 24, 2011 09:34AM) (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments *sniff* Thanks niquae. I'm slowly making may way through the book.