Heathens, Pagans and Witches discussion

Practical Pagan > which religion is safe?

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Yaw (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:37PM) (new)

Yaw | 1 comments many people are so obsessed with religion. As to which one is good who can tell

message 2: by Pamela (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:38PM) (new)

Pamela (teacupfangirl) I personally don't think there is any one "safe" or "good" religion. It's up to each person to figure out what works for themselves.

message 3: by Ben (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:38PM) (new)

Ben Gruagach | 5 comments I usually find that Isaac Bonewits' cult danger checklist works when evaluating if a particular group (religious or otherwise) is healthy or not. The checklist is such a valuable tool that I frequently recommend it to beginners exploring any spiritual path.

The checklist is available on Isaac's website at http://www.neopagan.net/ABCDEF.html

message 4: by Martin (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:39PM) (new)

Martin I think any religion is dangerous to the practitioner if it seeks to imprison rather than free its adherents.

By contrast, the contact with a sense of the divine that is at the center of all religious experience is dangerous in a good and different way, since it awakens people to their true, vibrant selves that sleep just below the surface of routine, habit and social conformity.

message 5: by Arun (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:39PM) (new)

Arun K | 2 comments Relating with TDF, it isn't the religion that is safe or dangerous but it is the interpretation of the belief.

As far as I've seen from my studies, religious text is subjective at best. There is no sincere way to judge what the words of a religion might mean.

The same words in the bible are used day after day to differentiate groups and somewhere else they might be used to bring the groups together.

THis is especially clear with buddhism.

In the last 200 years, Gautama Buddha's words of peace have been interpreted from pure and utter peace, to the use of violence to defend our peace is alright. THe militant monks in Japan in the last 200-300 (eras are probably a little rough) are a perfect view of this.

In Hinduism, you will find those who believe that all Gods (including those out of the pantheon) are just representations of one being. At the same time, you see riots happening in India and outside of India where there is severe enimity between Hindus and muslims and jews and sikhs and so many others.

Religion is a subjective ideology. It all depends on interpretation.

There is no specific religion that is good or evil or safe or dangerous or volatile or placid.
It is the mindset that interprets the principles of said religion that is ascribed these qualities and more.

message 6: by Pamela (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:41PM) (new)

Pamela (teacupfangirl) Good posting, Arun. You managed to say what I think a lot better than I could have.

It's impossible to say whether there's a "right" or "wrong" religion. It's what is done in the name of that religion that can be right or wrong, depending on your point of view.

message 7: by David (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:41PM) (new)

David | 13 comments hi there
may i recomend "truth-twisters.by harld j berry
you will find it listed in "my books"... on page 154..bottom he comments on

many contentable reglious groups use the same tactic. when explaining christ..

also look in my books,, for )mary magdaline) review.of lyn picknetts book

reliogion would be fine..!..if humans never got involved...

message 8: by Laura (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:42PM) (new)

Laura (laurastamps) I am a Wiccan Faery Witch, but it took me many paths and years to come to this point on my spiritual walk. One of the things I love about Wicca and most Pagan religions is that we are NOT evangelical. I celebrate all faiths and all spiritual paths, and most Pagans I know feel the same way. Those Pagans I know feel there is no "right" way for everyone. I truly believe whatever religion a person is involved in at the moment is the "right" one for that person at that moment. A spiritual path is an evolving process, and there are things we need to learn with each step. I have come to see it as great fun and incredibly freeing.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Good posting Laura. So true. Everything is real and all paths are right. Ultimately, we must intuit our own meanings and destinations and beliefs and eschew the dogma of others. Spirituality is a lonely pursuit, as much as we may have friends and companions along the way.

message 10: by Arun (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:53PM) (new)

Arun K | 2 comments Derek, I don't agree that spirituality is a lonely pursuit.

If it was such a lonely pursuit, the large masses of the world would not be so enthralled and happy with it. Human beings, as a species, are most definitely not introverted. When you call spirituality a lonely pursuit, you shackle it into one path when you yourself say there are many paths.

message 11: by Ancestral (new)

Ancestral Gaidheal (gaidheal) Which one is good? The one that aligns with your particular beliefs. The religious path I tread is one that reflects my own ethical and moral codes. Its not for everyone, and I'm okay with that.

message 12: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Mackey I believe that each religion can be right for a certain person. Each and every person has the ability to choose if a certain religion is good for them or not. It just happens that I was raised as a Christian, but that religion was not right for me, so I converted into Paganism.

message 13: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (triplegoddessmatriarch) I used to say the one thing I would not discuss with people was religion, because inevitably I would always offend someone. I got older and lost my ability to care.

I was born & raised Jewish and I still hold those traditions close to my heart. Being Wiccan is very natural to me, probably because I was raised with Jewish Mysticism as opposed to the more formal sects of the religion, and I adopted Wicca completely when I went back to school in 2001 for my ParaPsi degree.

I don't have a lot of faith in organized religion, so I do my own thing. I think that's really all any of us can do. We live in a world where we're almost told not to question anything, but my motto is question EVERYTHING. If something doesn't feel right to you, think it through clearly. No matter what it is.

message 14: by Stasa (new)

Stasa "I used to say the one thing I would not discuss with people was religion, because inevitably I would always offend someone. I got older and lost my ability to care."

LOL. Religion is now what I do full-time, and I've been to several dinner parties recently (related to Beloved Spouse's work) where total strangers, trying to help me feel welcome, asked what I do. This is always interesting to try to explain.

I tried to let people off the hook by saying, "I know that what I do is not polite dinner table conversation." Either academic scientists care less than other people, or they're more fearless, because that didn't discourage anyone. And they asked good (and honest) questions, so that was cool. :)

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

i believe that its each person's own choice to which religion or god or whatever works for them. it worked for me.

message 16: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (triplegoddessmatriarch) Religion is a personal choice, and whichever choice you make is only as safe as you allow it to be. With certain religions, it's important to set up some boundaries to help keep yourself grounded. I have personally found that a spiritual path where you, yourself are the governing body is the safest you can get. You have to make sure you maintain whatever core beliefs you came in with (things you won't compromise on), and not be afraid to grow and learn. It's important not to be passive or gullible as well.

message 17: by Kendra (new)

Kendra (ravenacres) Arun wrote: "Derek, I don't agree that spirituality is a lonely pursuit.

If it was such a lonely pursuit, the large masses of the world would not be so enthralled and happy with it. Human beings, as a species,..."

I'll have to agree with Derek. Spirituality is lonely, as it's what you and deity or no deity of choice work on together or by yourself. Religion, and the need for group approval is something totally different. IMO.

That said, lonely is only as one feels. I am solitary, and enjoy it. I get online for the little talks and "companionship" I desire, but I enjoy my aloneness. I know people who essentially couldn't exist if they didn't have some one or many people to deal with.

message 18: by Leannear24 (new)

Leannear24 Yaw wrote: "many people are so obsessed with religion. As to which one is good who can tell"

i think that it depends on the person
everyone is different so they will have different norms n values which makes the varies of religions
i think that u just have to pick the one that is right for u n no one else

message 19: by Lavender (new)

Lavender (lavendercrystalbear) | 111 comments As I lay here in the woods listening to the birds sing, I ponder the previous question. Religion is what you need it to be. Nothing more nothing less. Whatever makes you feel safe happy secure and hopefully gives you a set of morals to live by. I am new to Wicca but not to that way of life. The last 8 words if the Wiccan rede say it all.

message 20: by Leannear24 (new)

Leannear24 that is kinda poetic

message 21: by Lavender (new)

Lavender (lavendercrystalbear) | 111 comments Thanks. I'm trying to work on it. Among other things.

message 22: by Lavender (new)

Lavender (lavendercrystalbear) | 111 comments Btw. Any of you on facebook?

message 23: by Leannear24 (new)

Leannear24 its good
i am on facebook
:D