Fans of Maps discussion

Share travel/ cartography books > Tracks, by Robyn Davidson

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl  (cherylllr) | 645 comments Mod
Tracks, by Robyn Davidson, is about a woman who traverses much of rural Australia, alone with camels, in the 1970s. I'm about 1/2-way through and enjoying it a lot.

message 2: by Cheryl (new)

I gave it five stars. I copied my review here:

More than a travelogue, more than memoirs. Even though this presents to being more about her than the Bill Bryson I've read & only somewhat about the places & people, and camels, it ends up being much more illuminating of the settings & context than his works which present as travelogues.

If you're not sure you want to read it, start at Chapter 10 (p. 193 in my edition) and read towards the end. I bet you'll want to get back to the beginning and find out more. One example of what got her across the desert: "I... had a reinforced concrete strip down my back which successfully hid the yellow one."

An example of how well she expresses what some people never learn: "In different places, survival requires different things, based on the environment. Capacity for survival may be the ability to be changed by the environment."

Short, but not really a quick read - too intense, almost spiritual (but not difficult or artsy-fartsy).

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Great review Cheryl. I'll have to add it to my TBR. :)

message 4: by Cheryl (new)