Jodi Picoult Books Reading Group. discussion

Recommendations > Best of JPs books~

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Sandysconnected | 7 comments How many of you have read more than 5 of JP's books, and if you've read 5+ what would be your favorite, and why?

message 2: by NatalyaVqs (new)

NatalyaVqs These are the books I read by her so far in the order of preference:
- My Sister's Keeper, what a moral dilemma, seemingly impossible to resolve, I was heartbroken at the end for all of them
- Salem Falls, an eyeopener of what it could be like to be wrongfully accused, and what kind of person it would take to build a life after gang rape
- Plain Truth - loved all Amish detail and how it relates to the main drama
- Picture Perfect - I liked the battered wife insight, couldn't relate to Native American stuff; 19 Minutes - I liked the mother of the shooter perspective but choosing to tackle mass shooting was daring
- The Tenth Circle (lightweight), The Pact (unresolved, really)

message 3: by NatalyaVqs (new)

NatalyaVqs I am surprised nobody has participated in this trend for six months, when I like an author I end up getting more books by them to the point of saturation and I always think pro's and con's versus the author's other books

message 4: by Laura (new)

Laura C The ones I've read (in no particular order):

Sing You Home
Nineteen Minutes
Handle with Care
My Sister's Keeper
House Rules
Change of Heart
Keeping Faith
Currently reading Salem Falls

Out of all of them, my favorite is Nineteen Minutes. The book kept me guessing until the very end, and all of the little things in each of the characters' lives helped you connect to each one of them. Change of Heart and Keeping Faith are kind of similar, and I loved them both. I literally sat and just thought about the endings when I finished them. Ms. Picoult is a fantastic author :)

message 5: by Megan (new)

Megan Collier (megsie106) | 12 comments The Jodi Picoult books I have read are:
Nineteen Minutes
The Pact
Picture Perfect
My Sister's Keeper
Songs of the Humpback Whale
Currently reading: Salem Falls

Out of the books I have read I loved Nineteen Minutes the most. The characters were complex and it kept me guessing. It was so good I didn't want to put it down. My least favorite was Songs of the Humpback Whale, to me it was so different then the other books of hers I have read and I was unable to get into it.

message 6: by Lagenia (new)

Lagenia Macy (lagenia02) | 4 comments I've only read four JP books. (Order of Preference)
Plain Truth
Seclond Glance
Change of Heart
My Sister's Keeper

I can't wait to read all of her books :)

message 7: by Alexis (new)

Alexis | 41 comments I've read quite a few Picoult books. My favorite was House Rules. I liked the complexities of the characters. Although the mystery was obvious, I believe Picoult. Was striving to educate the reader about Asperger's syndrome. I liked that aspect of the novel. Jacob's character was also well developed.

message 8: by Leah (new)

Leah | 1 comments i have also read quite a few Picoult books, my favourite being 19 minutes with The pact coming a close second. A good Picoult book will always kept the mind turning over,which i like. I think my next foray into her books will be Sing me Home..I've read the synopsis and it intrigues me.

message 9: by Gayle (new)

Gayle | 1 comments I am currently reading my very first Jodi Picoult book and I can't put it down. I'm in the middle of Handle With Care and its nothing I've ever read before. I love it!

message 10: by Selena (new)

Selena My favourites are:
Sing You Home - I sobbed through most of it.
Plain Truth
Nineteen Minutes
Salem Falls
My Sister's Keeper

message 11: by Betsy (new)

Betsy (mistymtladi) | 36 comments Hi,
I've read about 15 0f Picoult's Books. The Favorites are as follows:
1. My Sister's Keeper
2.Keeping Faith
3.Second Glance
4.Sing You Home
5.Nineteen Minutes

message 12: by Katrina (new)

Katrina Lynn (booklynn) I think my favorite so far would be handle with care... it was the first I read and and and thought it was absolutely breathtaking

message 13: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Rebersak (shananigan35) I Have read:
The Pact
My Sisters Keeper
19 minutes
Change of Heart
And House Rules
...to name a few and house rules was my favorite because it was the most educational to me, I saw a new side to Asberger's that I haven't known before! Also I love her surprise plot twists that always leave the reader guessing.

message 14: by Alexis (new)

Alexis | 41 comments Shannon, I agree, House Rules was educational for me as well. although I have a few friends with Asperger's, I was unfamiliar with the condition as a whole. I also found the forensics facts fascinating.

message 15: by Nikki (new)

Nikki I have read a lot of JP's books and "The Pact" would have to be the one I like the most - followed by "Nineteen Minutes" and "Salem Falls". I think I like "The Pact" so much because it is such a current topic among young people these days and the twist at the end made me want to read it again!

message 16: by Melinda (new)

Melinda I am in the middle of reading House Rules. I found myself absolutely mortified when I heard about the Sandy Hook shooting, and learned that the shooter had Asperger's syndrome. Here I am reading a fictional book about a young boy living with the same diagnosis and is accused of murder... Then I turn on the tv and ind out it has really happened. I am in no way blaming the act on his Asperger's, the timing was just very ironic for me. I look forward to finishing the book (my 7th Jodi Picoult book), and hope for a happy ending in this story...

message 17: by Cheryln (new)

Cheryln Bologna | 3 comments Second Glance is my favorite. Jodi Picoult combined a ghost story and history with her amazing writing.

message 18: by Betsy (new)

Betsy (mistymtladi) | 36 comments I also loved Second Glance!I'm glad to see someone else mention it Cheryln

message 19: by Alexis (new)

Alexis | 41 comments Melinda, we don't know whether the shooter in CT had Asperger's or not. I really dislike it when the media claims that the perpetrator of acts of violence has Asperger's or autism. Asperger's does not correlate to violent tendancies. How would you feel if every news reporter said that such and such a perpetrator did X crime because of his gender? Well, that's how Aspies feel when every single mass shooting is blamed on this condition. Media people really need to get a clue about Asperger's and what it does and does not correlate to with regards to someone's behavior.

message 20: by Lacey (new)

Lacey I have read all of Jodi Picoults books, and can not wait for the next one.
My favs are: nineteen minutes, handle with care, change of heart, the pact & my sisters keeper.

Kelly 💜☕️ (kellyrenee1979) I've read the majority of her books & think that the reader HAS TO like the basic subject matter. That's the key to enjoying each book because they are all very different.

My Favorites:
(1) Lone Wolf = brilliant story that I couldn't put down
(2) Handle With Care = loved the relationship aspects and recipes mixed into the story
(3) Salem Falls = I literally threw this book across the room at the end
(4) Sing You Home = interesting view of gay marriage & parenting that's relevant in today's society
(5) The Tenth Circle
(6) My Sister's Keeper
(7) Nineteen Minutes
(8) The Pact

Not so much (from worst to mediocre):
-- House Rules = it's a total rip off of "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time" which I had read a few months before
-- Harvesting the Heart
-- Songs of the Humpback Whale
-- Vanishing Acts
-- Keeping Faith
-- Change of Heart = not that memorable to me?

Haven't Read:
-- Perfect Match
-- Second Glance
-- Mercy

Also some of the MOVIES have been pretty decent (best to worst):
(1) Plain Truth [2004] = pretty close to the book
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0420075/
(2) Salem Falls [2001] = also pretty close to the book
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1132288/
(3) The Tenth Circle [2008] = enjoyable
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1132288/
(4) The Pact [2002] = not my favorite book, but movie was okay
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0327085/
(5) My Sisters Keeper [2009] = too many plot changes & Cameron Diaz was horrible
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1078588/