Terminalcoffee discussion

Pop Culture / Celebrities > Have we had the Makeup Discussion?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 96 (96 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Brittomart (new)

Brittomart So I was in Target today, and I saw a little girl - she looked about, 9...10 at the most. She was wearing make up. And I mean, full work up - powder, eyeshadow, blush, lipstick, the works. And not in a "little girl got into mama's makeup bag" kind of way, but like...someone experienced did her face.

Now, when is it appropriate for girls to wear make up? I'm almost 20, and I still don't wear it, and that's a personal choice. I don't feel the need. Maybe it's my non-existent self-esteem talking or it's laziness, I don't know. If I'm going out to a party or something, I might put on a little foundation and some lip gloss at the MOST, but I mean I've seen girls who can't walk out of their rooms unless they have makeup on.

And then with my makeup thing - I see all these commercials all day, telling me to wear this lipstain or that foundation or that mascara, and it'll make me beautiful. And if I'm beautiful, I'll get a man. I put on the makeup...and my pumpkin never turns into a carriage. And so then, since I want immediate effect and instant gratification, I think, "oh, well, this didn't work, so why am I wasting my time?" I'm told that makeup is this magic wand, and obviously I know it's not, but still, in the back of my mind....I don't wear jewelry either, but that's because most of it irritates my skin.

message 2: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1107 comments I'm 16, and even I don't wear make-up unless I feel like it, which is rarely ever. It looks weird. It looks unnatural. My friends are all buying face primers and foundation and mascara, and I'm like what the hell is a primer?!

message 3: by Brittomart (new)

Brittomart You're 16? I'm no longer the youngest kid here? Dammit.

message 4: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1107 comments Hahahaha! You didn't know?

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) I don't have any daughters, but if I did, the only makeup they'd be allowed to wear before the teen years would be lip gloss and sparkly nail polish (of the paler variety).

My talent is for makeup. I've always been good at putting it on so it looks good without being overdone. I'm so lazy with my hair though. If it's a special occasion I'll blow it out straight and curl the ends under. Otherwise it's almost always in a ponytail.

message 6: by Stina (new)

Stina (stinalee) | 750 comments I love makeup! A trip into Sephora is heavenly... looking at all of the eye makeup and lipstick colors makes me swoon. I'm one of those people who rarely leaves the house without any on.

My niece wears mascara, lipstick and blush for pictures, but we're careful to make sure she doesn't look like a tiny whore.

message 7: by Aynge (last edited Dec 29, 2010 11:14PM) (new)

Aynge (ayngemac) | 1202 comments I love makeup, but it's more a girly primping kind of thing than anything else. It's fun. Makeup is like art supplies to me. Besides, every guy I've dated said I looked better without it. I don't agree but whatever.

I wasn't allowed to wear makeup until I was 14, and even then I only wore it occasionally. It takes a lot of time. I don't like seeing little kids wearing it though. That dumb show with the pageant babies... that's just wrong.

In general I tend to be lazy, and I'd rather sleep an extra 30 minutes than use that time to apply makeup and do my hair. But I still like having it and playing with it. I love Sephora. I could live there.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Pageant kids are just wrong on so many levels.

message 9: by Spellbound (new)

Spellbound (spellboundreads) | 117 comments I like makeup too. Eye makeup in particular, it makes my eyes really stand out and since I have no boobs, guys are forced to look me in the eyes. I dont't really care for the rest of the gear.
In my opinion you have to choose what you wish to enhance: either the eyes (eyeshadows) or the mouth (lipsticks) in order to avoid the mask-effect.

Young girls with makeup give me the shivers. I can't help seeing them as little sacrificial lambs. Very sad and creepy.

message 10: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Rachel looks like she has eye makeup on when she doesn't.

message 11: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I don't wear makeup except on stage, for photo shoots, and to weddings. I'm awful at it, and I don't have the patience to get it off my face at the end of the night, but if I don't, I break out. I hate it. I went through a stage at about 13 where I bought makeup and learned how to put it on, but I've since forgotten everything I ever knew.

message 12: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11694 comments My mommy helps me with my makeup. Aren't I beautiful? My dream is to be pretty enough one day to marry Mr. Hefner. Mommy says I can go blond when I'm seven.

message 13: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments If I have nightmares about that picture chasing me, Phil, it's on YOU.

message 14: by Lori (new)

Lori I am a pro with makeup, I also used to do stage makeup. Only used mascara in high school. Nothing in college. Then late 20s and early 30s started wearing some - blush powder, eyeliner, mascara and lip stick. Then in late 30s only mascara and lip gloss on special occasions. Haven't worn anything since then, except rarely lip gloss.

I do try not to judge, but if someone has their face caked up, I tend to think they have a lack of self-esteem problem.

message 15: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Phil, I can't even tell if that's a real child or something photoshopped.

message 16: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca White (rebecca_white) | 1028 comments That picture is the most horrifying thing I've ever seen. Was she alive?

message 17: by Lori (new)

Lori Eeeew, that picture is horrid, and of course brings back Jon Benet.

message 18: by Jammies (new)

Jammies According to the comments on the blog post that originally used that picture, it's a "made up then digitally altered" real child.

message 19: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I'm glad to hear she was digitally altered. She looks like a doll.

message 20: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca White (rebecca_white) | 1028 comments Something just went "ping" in my head. It always seems like they're trying to make up those little girls to look sexy or at least grown up. Maybe it's not that at all,maybe they're trying to make them look like dolls!

message 21: by Michael (last edited Dec 30, 2010 08:35AM) (new)

Michael Whether it's to look like dolls or be sexy, I think it's creepy when children wear make up. I don't know why women wear make up at all.

message 22: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11694 comments I don't know either. My mama always taught me that I'm perfect just the way I am!

message 23: by Jammies (new)

Jammies I like wearing makeup and playing with it, but most mornings I opt for quick and easy rather than a full look. My nieces, who are both under 8, are allowed colorless lip balms and nail polish (the latter can be outrageous, because green sparkly toenails don't exactly send the wrong signals, lol).

message 24: by Michael (last edited Dec 30, 2010 08:58AM) (new)

Michael I didn't mean to sound judgemental or anything earlier and imply that make up was bad, it's just something I don't understand.

message 25: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca White (rebecca_white) | 1028 comments I used to have a lot of fun playing with it. I still love opening a new powder or shadow and I absolutely love the luxury of going to the expensive make-up counters.

One of the things I love about my mom is that she's the great non-over-reactor. She rarely, if ever, forbid anything, but in the case of makeup, she didn't encourage it either. She told me it wouldn't be so much fun when I grew up, and of course she's right. Now my niece is 12 and starting to wear a little bit. A few weeks ago she went to her first school dance. I was going out shopping with her and she asked her grandma if she could buy some mascara, grandma said "yes," so we bought the classic Maybelline Great Lash. It's kind of a sweet moment, really.

message 26: by Kristina (new)

Kristina | 136 comments I really don't think a girl under the age of 16 should be wearing makeup. They don't very often need it. And it looks ridiculous on little girls. I don't wear makeup often. When I do, it's eyeshadow, eyeliner, mascara and lip gloss. I, fortunately, have always had relatively good skin and I hate those powders and foundations. It makes my face feel smothered. I also really don't know how to apply makeup to have it maximize my appearance (make eyes look bigger and stuff like that).

message 27: by Aynge (new)

Aynge (ayngemac) | 1202 comments Dang, that looks like a Stepford child.

message 28: by Jammies (new)

Jammies Oooh, I forgot to mention that I love reading makeup and nail blogs.

message 29: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) There's makeup just for reading?

message 30: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1107 comments Larry wrote: "Rachel looks like she has eye makeup on when she doesn't."

Thanks for sayin so, Larry :D

message 31: by Jammies (new)

Jammies Larry wrote: "There's makeup just for reading?"

Okay, PedanticMonkeyBoy, you go ahead and re-write my sentence so it only says what I meant it to say. :p

message 32: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) No it's more fun this way.

message 33: by Jammies (new)

Jammies :eyes Larry's skull: You go right on thinking that...

message 34: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24360 comments Mod
I used to order makeup in the mail when I was little, but I didn't wear it and didn't even want to wear it. I just wanted to get packages in the mail. Now I hate putting it on, I hate getting it on my fingers, wasting time getting it on my face, and I wear it less often than I used to. I wear small, subtle amounts. Lipstain or lipgloss, blush, maybe some concealer if I have uneven skin tone. Rarely now, a very subtle eyeliner on the top lid. Never mascara, my eyelashes are absurdly long as it is, cowlike.

message 35: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Paschen | 7137 comments I used to get mighty freaked out at dance recital time. All the girls, even the little 3-year-olds, would have to wear eyeliner, blush, mascara and lipstick. It looked completely hideous. And most of the parents had no clue how to put makeup on a kid. The dance teachers were always telling me my daughters needed "some more color." Ick. They're little white girls who need just a tiny bit of color so they don't look washed out under the stage lights.

message 36: by Michael (new)

Michael Lobstergirl wrote: "uneven skin tone"

What is uneven skin tone and why is it bad?

message 37: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Well, I guess it's only bad if one is vain. Some parts of the face are ruddy, others pale. Or darkish circles under the eyes.

message 38: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Effects of age. Generally.

message 39: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11694 comments What if one isn't vain, but is vein? Whatcha got for that?

message 40: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Ewww!

message 41: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments Phil wrote: "What if one isn't vain, but is vein? Whatcha got for that?

"

pants!

message 42: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Maybe some gifted pants.

message 43: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments yes, some occasions call for gifted pants.

message 45: by Brittomart (last edited Jan 02, 2011 02:35PM) (new)

Brittomart Michael wrote: "Lobstergirl wrote: "uneven skin tone"

What is uneven skin tone and why is it bad?"

I have an uneven skin tone, due to severe acne and eczema. I have dark patches around my mouth, the area around my glasses is much lighter than the rest of my face. the middle of my cheeks are darker, yeah. Oh, and acne scars.

message 46: by Carol (new)

Carol | 1679 comments You can see the dark circles under my eyes in my 4th grade school picture. Now I have one cheek that's redder than the other...

message 47: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1107 comments Phil wrote: "I don't know either. My mama always taught me that I'm perfect just the way I am!

"

Phil, that picture has just made me realize I hate you for being the source of my nightmares!

message 48: by Michael (new)

Michael This thread makes me feel sad.

message 49: by Michael (new)

Michael It makes me sad because everyone has flaws and I don't like the thought that we feel a need to cover them up to be accepted or better than we already are. If we have acne scars (which I have) and uneven skin tone (which I guess I have after reading the description) then it's just a part of who we are. I can see how wearing make up might be fun, and no one should ever stop wearing it if they enjoy it, but a perfect complexion and iridescent eyes and lucious lips and less-than-firm skin mean nothing (to me) if she doesn't like to read and eat pizza.

message 50: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca White (rebecca_white) | 1028 comments I always looked at wearing it like picking out clothes. You choose stuff you like and, to an extent, what will make the most of what you've got. But looking for perfection would be a hopeless goal! And just like you don't dress up every day, I haven't worn makeup every day since I was about 13!

« previous 1