}~>O MERBOOKS: The Group For All Things Mermaid O<~{ discussion

The Books > Siren by Tricia Rayburn

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Garrett (new)

Garrett (garrettgoodreads) Haven't read this one yet, so I don't know much about it. What do you guys think?
Siren (Siren Trilogy, #1) by Tricia Rayburn
And here's a link to the sequel, Undercurrent.
Undercurrent (Siren Trilogy, #2) by Tricia Rayburn

message 2: by Garrett (new)

Garrett (garrettgoodreads) Hmm...see, I have conflicting feelings toward this book. I kind of want to read it, but if there's not much mermaids/sirens, I don't think I'd like it.

message 3: by Garrett (new)

Garrett (garrettgoodreads) Thanks for the tip! I'll probably hold off on this one for a while. :D There's definitely better-looking mermaid and siren books coming out.

message 4: by Randi, Movies, Music, Merpeople (new)

Randi (The Artist Formerly known as Guitar Chick) (guitarchick) | 1021 comments Mod
I want to read it very much.
I love a good fictitious murder.

message 5: by oliviasbooks (new)

oliviasbooks | 261 comments The paperback has been shipped last week. But it will take some time until I read it.

message 6: by oliviasbooks (last edited Jan 29, 2011 03:39AM) (new)

oliviasbooks | 261 comments I am with Alyssa. I ploughed through 154 pages and gave up.
- The plot is so disconnected. Things happen without the reader being "informed". For instance you switch from the scene in which Justine storms out of the beach house to the scene after her funeral and you ask "What? Somebody has died? Who, when?"
- On the other hand you know way before Nessa what those ewomen around her are (the title, the flashy mirror eyes). Yawwwwn.
- The characters are uninteresting, too mean to be true or too dumb to be comfortable with.
- There are sirens or decendants of evil man-eating sirens, all right. But: no underwater plot, no fins, at least I didn't spot them when I was flipping through the rest of the book.
-The romance isn't believable to me. (I am glad you enjoyed that part, Alyssa).

message 7: by Emily, Merfreak & Tribute (new)

Emily (emilimcg) | 251 comments Mod
It was...okay. Didn't live up to my expectations. I started the book, but I hated how long it took for the characters to find out what was going on, when the reader clearly knows the "mystery" already. I skipped to the end, which was a lot more interesting and I have to say I kinda liked the romance. I think that the end of the book was just interesting enough for me to want to read the next one. Overall, it's not that great though.

message 8: by Garrett (new)

Garrett (garrettgoodreads) Hmmm...I'm not too sure about this one now. I looked for it today at the bookstore, but they didn't have it. :(

message 9: by Emily, Merfreak & Tribute (new)

the cover is beautiful though :)

message 10: by oliviasbooks (last edited Feb 03, 2011 04:11AM) (new)

oliviasbooks | 261 comments The new edition will sport a totally bring cover that matches the sequel. (see author's homepage):

message 11: by Randi, Movies, Music, Merpeople (new)

Randi (The Artist Formerly known as Guitar Chick) (guitarchick) | 1021 comments Mod
I like the other covers better,but these are quite pretty.
I think young adult covers are getting a bit too cliche.
They're all Empty Beautiful words with some aloof picture of some emo looking thing or very vague drawing with a picture of something from the book entangled in vines or whatever.

message 12: by Dana (new)

Dana (piyo) | 57 comments Just finished this book about an hour ago and I gotta say, it took me forever to finish (and when it comes to YA books, I can speed through them like crazy). I was glad to be able to buy the paperback, since it was cheaper than the hardback, and personally, I liked the cover better.

The story itself was only okay. It had its moments that I found myself enjoying, but for the most part it felt disconnected. There seemed to be so many things going on at once, and while you would follow one lead to all these questions, you'd get pulled towards another lead to another set of questions and you barely got any kind of answer until much later. Thank goodness for the end when everything was explained. I had figured much out, but after being pulled this way and that, it was nice to have things nicely laid out for me.

And one of my biggest problems was the fact that it never really seemed that Vanessa got to mourn her sister. I understand that she needed to find out what happened and jumped right into that so that she could ignore the pain, but it just seemed as though after what happened to Justine the story left it out like it wasn't important. Especially when you learn more about the two towards the end of the book and their relationship, I wish that we had gotten a little more than a few tears and an "I miss her" here and there.

Aside from that, I'd consider picking up the sequel. With the end, even though it was very hectic and I understood only so much of what happened with all the jumping, I'm curious to see what does happen next. It would be something I picked up once I saw the paperback was out and my to read pile was starting to dwindle down.

message 13: by Garrett (new)

Garrett (garrettgoodreads) I was thinking about reading this one, but I've just never gotten around to it. Everyone says it's just okay, and since so many books are being released that I know without a doubt I want to read, I've just forgotten about this one.

message 14: by Emily, Merfreak & Tribute (new)

Completly argree with your review Dana.

And the new covers are so boring compared to the first one. :(

message 15: by Ryan (last edited Oct 23, 2011 12:42PM) (new)

Ryan (mksheppard) | 39 comments I read the first one when it came out, and recently speed skimmed the sequel.

Both are pretty "meh" books.

(view spoiler)

...whew, sorry guys for going a bit overboard there, guys. (huge spoilered discussion)

message 16: by Randi, Movies, Music, Merpeople (new)

No don't worry about it, but here's my opinion review thing since I've read the book and all now

(view spoiler)

}~>O MERBOOKS: The Group For All Things...

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Siren (other topics)
Undercurrent (other topics)