}~>O MERBOOKS: The Group For All Things Mermaid O<~{ discussion

Welcome! (Introduce Yourself)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 176 (176 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Garrett (new)

Garrett (garrettgoodreads) Are you new to Merbooks? Swim on by and say hi!

message 2: by Mermaidfreak89 (new)

Mermaidfreak89 I HAVE JUST JOINED GOODREADS AND I HAD TO JOIN THIS GROUP.AS YOU CAN PROBABLY TELL BY MY USERNAME AND PROFILE PIC U CAN PROBABLY TELL I LOVE MERMAIDS.SO ANYTHING I SHOULD ABSOLUTELY KNOW FOR THIS WONDERFUL GROUP?

message 3: by Randi, Movies, Music, Merpeople (new)

Randi (The Artist Formerly known as Guitar Chick) (guitarchick) | 1021 comments Mod
I don't think we have any strict rules and such. You'll probably have to ask the mods.
But have fun and welcome to our small group!

message 4: by Mermaidfreak89 (new)

Mermaidfreak89 wats ur fav mermaid book?

message 5: by Garrett (new)

Garrett (garrettgoodreads) There's no rules to the group! :D Just have fun talking about our favorite creatures - mermaids!!

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Hey! What's up? I'm friends with mermaidfreak89! Havn't ever read any mermaidish books, so I joined this group to get recomendations...so recomendate! Plz!

message 7: by Garrett (new)

Garrett (garrettgoodreads) Well, if you like lighter, more humorous stories, I recommend Forgive My Fins (Fins, #1) by Tera Lynn Childs , but if you want a darker retelling of Greek mythology, you might like Sirena by Donna Jo Napoli , which is my favorite book. You might also like these Ingo (Ingo, #1) by Helen Dunmore Tide Knot (Ingo, #2) by Helen Dunmore The Deep (Ingo, #3) by Helen Dunmore The Crossing of Ingo (Ingo, #4) by Helen Dunmore if you're into fantasy.
Hope I helped! :) Enjoy the group!

message 8: by Mermaidfreak89 (new)

Mermaidfreak89 I AM IN THE MIDDLE OF SIRENA AND IT IS LIKE NO OTHER MERBOOK. I WAANT TO READ CROSSING OF INGO.

message 9: by hapˈhazərd (new)

hapˈhazərd (haphazrd) | 33 comments Hi people.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Hey!!!!

message 11: by hapˈhazərd (new)

hapˈhazərd (haphazrd) | 33 comments Hola.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

I have a question. Has anyone ever tried a mermaid spell? If so, do they work?

message 13: by Randi, Movies, Music, Merpeople (new)

Randi (The Artist Formerly known as Guitar Chick) (guitarchick) | 1021 comments Mod
Oooh, don't go there. It's an evil scam.

message 14: by Emily, Merfreak & Tribute (new)

Emily (emilimcg) | 251 comments Mod
Hello Someone! Welcome to the group! :)

message 15: by Mermaidfreak89 (new)

Mermaidfreak89 i watched this so called mermaid spell on youtube and it was so fake

message 16: by Emily, Merfreak & Tribute (new)

I'm pretty sure they all are.

message 17: by Dana (new)

Dana (piyo) | 57 comments *waves*
Hellos! My name's Dana. I've been on GR a while now and am surprised at not stumbling across this group sooner. The last mermaid book I read was "The Mermaid's Mirror" by L.K. Madigan; I have two to read and about 10 in my wishlist. I'm excited to actually get to talk to other people about mermaid books, since no one else I know is really all too interested in them.

message 18: by Garrett (new)

Garrett (garrettgoodreads) Hi, Dana! Welcome to Merbooks! It's so great to get another member in the group who loves mermaid books as much as we do! :)

message 19: by Emily, Merfreak & Tribute (last edited Mar 12, 2011 06:35PM) (new)

YAY! Welcome to the group Dana! This is definitely the right place to be if you love mermaids!:)

message 20: by Dana (new)

Dana Wright | 3 comments Another Dana! Awesome!

I am reviewing some mermaid books as a series on my YA blog if anyone wants to visit.

Http://Danasyabookpile.blogspot.com/

Hope to see you there.

:). Dana

message 21: by Zoraida (new)

Zoraida | 77 comments Hey all,

I'm new to goodreads. My mermaid novel just sold. Check me out here http://dirtypages.blogspot.com/

I've been obsessed with merpeople since I was three!

I'm 23, I live in New York, and my favorite place is Coney Island because, well, even the streets have mermaid themed names.

message 22: by Emily, Merfreak & Tribute (new)

I wasn't sure where to post this, but just thought the group should know, if you didn't already hear that L.K. Madigan the author of The Mermaid's Mirror The Mermaid's Mirror by L.K. Madigan passed away on February 23rd due to pancreatic cancer.

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

Omg! That's super sad... Awww! My thoughts and prayers are with that family and L.K. Madigan.

message 24: by Andre and Sophie (last edited Apr 30, 2011 08:56PM) (new)

Andre and Sophie (sophiem) | 11 comments Hi!I'm Sophie and I'm new to the mermaid genre. I've been curious for a while but it just dawned on me the other day "Why not read a book on mermaid?!" I'm usually more into Vampires. So any suggestions?

message 25: by Garrett (new)

Garrett (garrettgoodreads) Hi, Sophie! So glad you joined the group! If you're looking for something a little darker, you might want to try Sirena by Donna Jo Napoli . If you'd like a love story, you might want to try Sea Change by Aimee Friedman . A series that has also been out for a while is Hannah (Daughters of the Sea, #1) by Kathryn Lasky Daughters of the Sea May by Kathryn Lasky .
This book comes out soon and looks like it might appeal to fans of vampires, too, in that it's darker and edgier: Tempest Rising by Tracy Deebs .
Or, you could try this book out, written by one of our group members. Fins by Ashley L. Knight It's definitely a fun read! Another splashy, fun mermaid book is Forgive My Fins (Fins, #1) by Tera Lynn Childs .

Hope I helped, and enjoy the group! :)

message 26: by Emily, Merfreak & Tribute (new)

If you've never read a mermaid book I'd start with Ingo by Helen Dunmore, Sirena by Donna Jo Napoli, or Midnight Pearls: A Retelling of "The Little Mermaid" by Debbie Viguie.

Ingo is more of a younger YA book. It's about a brother and sister who live in Cornwall and discover that they have mer-blood in them. Personaly it's my favorite mer-book. Sirena is more of a romantic story and has a lot of mythology intertwined into the story. Midnight pearls is a really good twist on The Little Mermaid story. All three would be excellent if you want to get a taste of the mermaid genre :)

message 27: by Zoraida (new)

Zoraida | 77 comments Sirena is one of my favorites. I mean, WOW, what a book.

message 28: by Emily, Merfreak & Tribute (new)

Yeah, Donna Jo Napoli is just an amazing writer in general. I've read two of her other books. One was Daughter of Venice and that's also an awesome book!

message 29: by Andre and Sophie (new)

Andre and Sophie (sophiem) | 11 comments Garrett wrote: "Hi, Sophie! So glad you joined the group! If you're looking for something a little darker, you might want to try Sirena by Donna Jo Napoli. If you'd like a love story, you might want to try [bookco..."

DUDE, THANKS! I'll get looking them up now!

message 30: by Claire (new)

Claire | 2 comments Hi I've just joined after reading Forgive My Fins it was my first mermaid book that I've read and I want to read more mermaid books as I really enjoyed this book. I have just brought Fins and Sirena and I can't wait to read them!!

message 31: by Garrett (new)

Garrett (garrettgoodreads) Hi, Claire! So glad you joined! And by the way, all three of those books are excellent choices! Hope you enjoy them! :)

message 32: by Randi, Movies, Music, Merpeople (new)

Hello Claire :)

message 33: by Zoraida (new)

Zoraida | 77 comments Howdy Claire!

message 34: by Maari (new)

Maari (mergrl) | 11 comments HEY! GUYS!!! I AM SOOOOO CRAAZY ABT. MERMAIDS!!!!!!!!! I HOPE TO READ MUCH MORE MER-BOOKS!

message 35: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 15 comments OK, so as usual I join, I lurk and then notice that there's a page to introduce yourself...sorry. I saw the challenge on Twitter and love mermaids and look forward to reading more mermaid books. I love Forgive My Fins...hmmm...I teach high school English. I'm really enjoying this group.

message 36: by oliviasbooks (new)

oliviasbooks | 261 comments Welcome!

message 37: by Randi, Movies, Music, Merpeople (new)

Hi Stephanie! I just ordered Forgive My Fins from Books-A-Million. I'm kind of taking a leap of faith in reading because I usually like the darker novels better, but what the heck, right?

message 38: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 15 comments just so you know Forgive My Fins is very light and silly, but good fun. What are some of the darker ones?

message 39: by Randi, Movies, Music, Merpeople (new)

Stephanie wrote: "just so you know Forgive My Fins is very light and silly, but good fun. What are some of the darker ones?"

I figured, lol. I could use a fluffy novel.

Um, as far as darker ones, Lost Voices by Sarah Porter would be one. They take more of a siren approach to mermaids (singing people to their deaths). Selkie Girl (which technically isn't mermaids, but people who can transform into seals) has some dark overtones as well.

message 40: by oliviasbooks (new)

oliviasbooks | 261 comments Stephanie wrote: "just so you know Forgive My Fins is very light and silly, but good fun. What are some of the darker ones?"

Lies Beneath (Lies Beneath #1) by Anne Greenwood Brown features a kind of moody Edward with fins and a mean, ice-cold mermaid family. Recommended.

I also recommend the Ingo Series and Sea Change by Aimee Friedman , which are both not liked by everyone.

message 41: by Maari (new)

Maari (mergrl) | 11 comments Guitar Chick wrote: "Hi Stephanie! I just ordered Forgive My Fins from Books-A-Million. I'm kind of taking a leap of faith in reading because I usually like the darker novels better, but what the heck, right?"

Forgive my fins is an excelent book i highly recomend it

message 42: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Knight (ashleyknight) | 98 comments Hi everyone! I've been somewhat absent as of late - finishing FOREVER - the third and last book in the FINS Trilogy. It's off to beta readers and editing. How are we all? Well I hope! If you're interested, come on by my website: www.ashleylknight.com or blogspot which is: http://ashleylknight.blogspot.com/
I admit, I don't blog every day - especially when it comes down to editing, but i'm on there. Halfway through a new book "Falwyn" - a tale about fairies!

message 43: by Randi, Movies, Music, Merpeople (new)

Ashley wrote: "Hi everyone! I've been somewhat absent as of late - finishing FOREVER - the third and last book in the FINS Trilogy. It's off to beta readers and editing. How are we all? Well I hope! If you're int..."

Hang in there! Finishing books isn't easy at all. Good to see you back though :)

message 44: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Knight (ashleyknight) | 98 comments Guitar Chick wrote: "Ashley wrote: "Hi everyone! I've been somewhat absent as of late - finishing FOREVER - the third and last book in the FINS Trilogy. It's off to beta readers and editing. How are we all? Well I hope..."

Thanks chicka!

message 45: by Randi, Movies, Music, Merpeople (new)

Ok :) Nice to meet you.

message 46: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Knight (ashleyknight) | 98 comments My cover illustrator has presented 5 different covers for Forever. I've narrowed my choice down! It's beautiful!

message 47: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Mermaidfreak89 wrote: "I AM IN THE MIDDLE OF SIRENA AND IT IS LIKE NO OTHER MERBOOK. I WAANT TO READ CROSSING OF INGO."

The Ingo series is so good :) Read them a while ago and are still my fav books!

message 48: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Ashley wrote: "Hi everyone! I've been somewhat absent as of late - finishing FOREVER - the third and last book in the FINS Trilogy. It's off to beta readers and editing. How are we all? Well I hope! If you're int..."

Is the rest of that series good? I read Forgive my Fins and really liked it :)

message 49: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Knight (ashleyknight) | 98 comments Sarah wrote: "Ashley wrote: "Hi everyone! I've been somewhat absent as of late - finishing FOREVER - the third and last book in the FINS Trilogy. It's off to beta readers and editing. How are we all? Well I hope..."<

hi Sarah - FINS is a whole different book from Forgive my fins. Check it out!

message 50: by [deleted user] (new)

hello, i'm ness and i've been in love with mermaids since i was 2

« previous 1 3 4