The Next Best Book Club discussion

Newbies Corner > Oh, hi! :D

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Leila (new)

Leila (leilasbooks) I've been a member of this group for some days but I haven't posted here so I figured an introduction would be a good idea now.

I'm Leila, almost 19 and from Sweden. Don't know really what else to say? I'm obviously a big bookworm. It's been so nice to finally graduate and have summer because now I can finally start to read all the books that I want to read myself. Unfortunately, schoolwork took all the time before and the pile of 'to-read' books just grew and grew.

My absolute favourite novels are:
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
The Crucible by Arthur Miller (although that's a drama)
The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde
Pay It Forward by Catherine Ryan Hyde
By The River Piedra I Sat Down and Wept by Paulo Coelho
Angels And Demons by Dan Brown
Oranges Are Not the Only Fruit by Jeanette Winterson
Maurice by E.M Foster
Girl With Pearl Earing by Tracy Chevalier
The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy

I'm also a big fan of the Harry Potter series by JK Rowling and the Twilight series by Stephenie Meyer.

It's a bit hard to pick one. I like to read novels of different genres. I read mostly fiction though.

What else is there to say? I'm a coffee, chocolate and sugar addict. I listen to music and watch movies a great deal and spend way too much time on the Internet for my own good.

So, hi! :)

The Book Whisperer (aka Boof) Hi Leila and welcome to the best group on GR!

A girl after my own heart - coffe, chocolate and sugar! (and books of course).

Two of the books on your list are favourites of mine too - Girl with a Pearl Earring and The God of Small Things.

message 3: by Jen (new)

Jen | 278 comments Welcome, Leila! You have quite a few books on your list that I haven't read yet. I'm embarrassed to say I haven't read a Jane Austen book yet. I'm going to read Persuasion this month.

I like to see so many new members from other countries. You can keep Boof and Kirsty company when we're sleeping.

message 4: by Kirsty (new)

Kirsty (kirstyreadsandcreates) | 610 comments lol Jen, I know, we need company!

Welcome Leila!

message 5: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10095 comments Mod
I'd like to offically welcome you Leila, to the group! Thanks for participating, and so glad you like it here....

message 6: by Leila (new)

Leila (leilasbooks) Thank you all for the kind welcome. :D

Boof, that's nice! There is nothing better than sitting with a good book, some good coffe and/or chocolate or something sweet :) I adore for example bookshops that have coffeeshops in the center. Unfortunately we only have one of those :(

Jen, I hope you enjoy it! I myself can confess that I have only read Pride and Prejudice. I know what happens in the others and such but I have yet to read them. Someday!

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Welcome to the group, Leila. I'm also a coffee addict.

message 8: by Tisha (new)

Tisha Coffee, chocolate, sugar and Angels & Demons??!... i think we can be good friends! :)

The Book Whisperer (aka Boof) OK, you've just answered the message I left you on your thread, Ken.

message 10: by Marsha (new)

Marsha Welcome Lelia!

You have a few on your favorites list I have really looked forward to. I haven't read any Jeanette Winterson yet- but her name has popped up for me several times now. I think I have two of her other books on my TBR list but I had heard of "Orange" too- highly recommended.

There are not enough hours in the day.

message 11: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Welcome Lelia!

message 12: by Val (new)

Val Nichols | 159 comments Greetings, Leila! We share very similar tastes in books. Have you read any of Tracy Chevalier's other books? I love her work.

message 13: by alicia (new)

alicia grant (shesha34) Hello and am ashamed to admit that i haven't read any of those on your list.(blushing with embarrassment)I do love my coffee though.Nice to meet you

message 14: by Val (new)

Val Nichols | 159 comments Alicia, you should never be ashamed or embarrassed about what you have or have not read, especially with this group. Heck, in just looking over your list there are LOTS I haven't read...and now more to put on my to-read list. Thanks!

message 15: by Leila (new)

Leila (leilasbooks) Hi all and thank you for the kind welcome :)

Tisha, it's a good thing we have things in common :D

Boof, I love tea as well to be honest but it is true that Scandinavians are big coffeedrinkers. I still don't understand why they haven't launched Starbucks here.

Marsha, I've only read Oranges so far and I absolutely love it because it's different in a sense. The whole writing particularly. I also wrote my research essay on it so I did get to spend a lot of time analyzing it deeply and that just increased my love for that book :)

Val, that's great. I have so far also read Falling Angels and I am currently reading Burning Bright but it's going very slow. I cannot wait to read The Lady With the Unicorn though.

Isabella, that's great :D I would love to drink a latte right now to be honest haha.

alicia, don't be ashamed. There are so many books out there that it's hard enough to find time. I feel embarrassed because I myself have A LOT to catch up on the '100 must-reads'. But within time!