Read Aloud Books discussion

What will be your first read aloud?

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kyle (new)

Kyle Kimmal | 9 comments Mod
It is hard to believe that school starts soon! What is your first read aloud?

message 2: by Mary Lee (new)

Mary Lee I just decided yesterday! I start with short reads and picture books. My first read will be BIG PLANS by Bob Shea (illus. by Lane Smith). I think it'll get noisy (in a fun way) and then we'll talk about our big plans for 4th grade.

My first chapter book will likely be Clementine's Letter by Sara Pennypacker. Lots in that book about dealing with a new teacher (a sub in the book; me in real life) and knowing what the rules of the classroom are. Hopefully they all know Clementine. If not, I'll read the first book, then this newest one.

message 3: by Kristin (new)

Kristin | 6 comments Being in sixth grade, I like to read The Golden Goblet first. It is an excellent book that very few people know and I have never had a student who had already read it. It is a historical fiction that takes place in ancient Egypt so it ties in with my social studies.

message 4: by Mary Lee (new)

Mary Lee Hmmm...David Elzey at The Excelsior File (http://excelsiorfile.blogspot.com/200...) just reviewed BIG PLANS. He hates it. (to put it mildly)

Does that change my thinking about using it for my first read aloud? Not really. Just makes me go, "HMMM..."

message 5: by Megan (new)

Megan | 8 comments I'm with Mary Lee. I am starting with lots of picture books. I usually try to read the The 55 Essentials by Ron Clark to help with community building next. Then I am not sure where I will go from there.

message 6: by Amy (new)

Amy (cookiebrains) | 7 comments Kristen-thanks so much for the point to The Golden Goblet. Sounds like a great book for me and my class.

my first novel will probably be Tangerine. on the first day we'll likely read a short story, not sure which one yet.

message 7: by Monica (new)

Monica Edinger Mary Lee,

I read aloud BIG PLANS to my class (4th grade) last year and they were amused by it. While I agree with David that the boy is not likable, I think that is the point of the book. He deserves to be in the corner! He is mad and taking it out on everything around him. That all said, I'm not sure I see it as an opening day sort of book. I mean, I wouldn't want any of my kids to have those sorts of Big Plans!

message 8: by Monica (new)

Monica Edinger When do you all start school? I'm off to Peru on Friday; we don't start till after Labor Day.

message 9: by Mary Lee (new)

Mary Lee Another HMMM...

One more and I'll probably come up with some other "big plans" for a first read aloud. Anyone else want to chime in? Go ahead, be honest! (Thanks, Monica!)

I have our district's Leadership Academy starting Tuesday next week, then our school's retreat on the 18th, teachers report on the 20th, and kids come the 25th. Summer is effectively over for me. I'd rather be going to Peru.

message 10: by Misty (new)

Misty I go back on the 11th, and the kids return the 18th. I'm taking a short trip to the beach next weekend...return on Sunday, go to work on Monday. I'm looking forward to it, though; I'm at a new school this year! 7th grade after 5 yrs of 9th grade.

I'm looking forward to read-alouds this year. I'm not sure what to start with, so I'm enjoying the suggestions.

Asimbe, I really enjoyed Tangerine and plan to recommend it as a "read-alike" for one of our summer reading books, Heat by Mike Lupica. What grade do you teach?

message 11: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (mackenziec) | 4 comments The teachers go back on the 18th, kids return on the 25th. The Golden Goblet is required reading for the sixth graders in our district as it ties in with the ancient civilizations study in social studies.

message 12: by Amy (new)

Amy (cookiebrains) | 7 comments I'm off for a pool side read-a-thon with my sister in Fresno this week, then a workshop on using the new basal reading text book (blech). Our prep days start Aug. 20th. The kids come back Aug. 26th.

Misty--I've taught for six years all over in 4-6 including several blended classes. This will be my first year with a straight 6th.

I love the Lupica books that I've read: Heat and Travel Team. Some of my boy students last year also got way into John Feinsteins sport mystery books.

message 13: by Megan (new)

Megan | 8 comments Wow, you guys have a lot of reporting days. We are starting a new thing this year with 2! reporting days before kids come. One of them being ALL day meetings. Of course, everyone always starts working DAYS before this. So, my first report day is August 25, but I'll be there starting next week each day to get the class back together.

message 14: by Justin (new)

Justin Matott (justinmatott) | 2 comments I hope this isn't too marketing sounding. I am trying to get my work to branch out through classroom reading. I have a chapter book about a boy who is bullied at school, but it turns out well for him. I have zany poetry books and picture books and an alien book that flips to 1728 different combinations.

Any teacher who gets a book off my website can request another of my books for free. A buy one get one free offer for as many titles as you like for the month of August.

If this is objectionable to post on a site like this in any way, please let me know and I will refrain, but it is in the spirit of reading and being read that I do so. You will see if you read my profile that I do not make 1000s of "friends" to promote my books here.

Cheers, Justin Matott

www.justinmatott.com

message 15: by Nicola (new)

Nicola Turner (madamet) | 2 comments OK, I have just discovered Benjamin Dove by Fridrik Erlings and that is going to be my new read aloud for my 5/6 class. I am at a Developmental Designs workshop this week. It's fabulous.
Just found out my new school is under "corrective action" for its dismal AYP status...joy.

message 16: by Mary Lee (last edited Aug 09, 2008 02:55PM) (new)

Mary Lee I've got a list of some of my favorite first picture book read alouds here:
http://readingyear.blogspot.com/2007/...

I'm also just finishing up NIGHTMARE AT THE BOOK FAIR by Dan Gutman (2008) and I think it may have some real potential as a read aloud. A book fair cart tips over on Trip Dinkleman and he's knocked out and trapped in all the genres on the cart: horror, sports fiction, adventure, science fiction, humor, mystery, reference, historical fiction, easy reader, animal fiction, fantasy, and fiction for girls. Each chapter is a spoof on one of the genres -- a bit (okay, sometimes more than a bit) exaggerated, but it's the exaggeration that might help young readers identify what it is that makes each genre distinct. Seems like there could be some easy applications for writing workshop using this book. Has anyone else read it? What do you think?

**EDITED TO ADD: I don't think this will be a read aloud in my 4th grade classroom. The wizard in the fantasy chapter winds up being Tink's MOTHER, not his father -- he is transgendered and explains, "Once, long ago, I was a woman, deeply in love with (the villian). We had a child together." etc etc. I ain't goin' there with 9 year-olds. (But I'm glad I read all the way to the end!)

message 17: by Megan (new)

Megan | 8 comments At first I was thinking... "Oooo, I love it!" After your editorial comment, I am thinking... "Uh, no, me neither, I ain't goin there."
I am reading No Talking by Andrew Clements right now. I think this may have some potential for a read aloud. Especially for fifth grade since that is the age of the students in the story. I think kids could REALLY relate to this story and the characters.