}~>O MERBOOKS: The Group For All Things Mermaid O<~{ discussion

Miscellaneous > Mermaid Songs

Comments Showing 1-50 of 62 (62 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by oliviasbooks (new)

oliviasbooks | 261 comments I love that Merman song by Emiliana Torrini

Sadly, I couldn't find a good quality version on the web. So here are only a few seconds

http://www.lastfm.de/music/+noredirec...

and the lyrics

"When you look into his eyes,
You wish that no one could see him,
Only you could be touched by him,
And you could walk alone by his side,
And if you want to dream with him,
Just close your eyes, and hold your breath,
And you'll find that you can breathe in water.

When you look into his eyes,
you wish that no one could see him,
No one else could see him,
No one else could feel him.

You feel he's telling you goodbye,
He says "I'm off into the living".
And your lungs ache filled with water.
You watch how he walks you by.
And all the fish follow him.
You smile 'cause you'll always be his lover.

No one else could feel him."

Do you know any songs (not stupid Arielle)?

message 2: by Garrett (new)

Garrett (garrettgoodreads) This isn't a song about a mermaid, but the video features a mermaid who has fallen in love with a human.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WcWHZ...
The same artist has an instrumental song called "Mermaid," too. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ws9pzv...

message 3: by Garrett (new)

Garrett (garrettgoodreads) I listened to that "Merman" song, and it's pretty good. It definitely has that underwater feel to it.

message 4: by Randi, Movies, Music, Merpeople (new)

Randi (The Artist Formerly known as Guitar Chick) (guitarchick) | 1021 comments Mod
Well, I've never heard a merperson song, but being so into music, I constantly make playlists about them. Here's the latest edition

Soul of the Sea by Heart
Swimming by Florence and the Machine
The Ocean by Led Zeppelin
The Wind Cries Mary by Jimi Hendrix
Uummannaq Song by KT Tunstall
Vanilla Twilight by Owl City
Moondance by Van Morrison
Those Voices by StarkidPoter (check a Very Starkid album on iTunes)
Cosmic Love by Florence and the Machine (acoustic is good too)
Mistral Wind by Heart
Shutterbug by Veruca Salt
Bottle It up by Sara Barielles
Moonage Daydream by David Bowie or Patti Rothberg
When It Rains by Paramore
Not Alone by Darren Criss
Wavelength by Patti Rothberg
Because the Night by Patti Smith or Bruce Springsteen
I'll come up with more later.

message 5: by Garrett (new)

Garrett (garrettgoodreads) Cool! Thanks for the playlist! Some of these might help me with the mermaid story I'm writing! Which I'm totally stumped on, by the way...

message 6: by Randi, Movies, Music, Merpeople (new)

Randi (The Artist Formerly known as Guitar Chick) (guitarchick) | 1021 comments Mod
If you need help, you could message me. I'm overflowing with ideas.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

I love Florence and the Machine!

message 8: by Randi, Movies, Music, Merpeople (new)

They are some of the best. Hope they win best new artist Grammy today!

message 9: by Randi, Movies, Music, Merpeople (new)

I've got cool ideas for playlists. Let's all compile one together and see what happens.
The Wind Cries Mary by Jimi Hendrix ( don't remember if that was in my previous list or not)

message 10: by Garrett (last edited Feb 14, 2011 05:10PM) (new)

Garrett (garrettgoodreads) I like the song Cosmic Love by Florence and the Machine. I use it as the theme song for two of my characters, who are dating. One of them is a mermaid and the other the captain of the swim team. He tries to get close to her, but every time he does she has to run away either because of water or to fight evil with her friends, so they have a pretty hectic love life.
I was mad that they didn't win the Grammys last night!!!
Oh, and GC, the image in my mind right now of what my Goth/punker mermaid chick in my story looks like is Hayley Williams! :D Thought you might like that! So, imagine Hayley with a tail...that's pretty much what my character looks like. :D

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

I love the wind cries mary!!!!!!I play it on Guitar Hero

message 12: by Mermaidfreak89 (new)

Mermaidfreak89 I LOVE THAT CHARACTER GARRET

message 13: by Garrett (new)

Garrett (garrettgoodreads) Thanks! :D I love her, too! Which is why I'm so so SO sad when I have to write the final book in the series. Something happens to her, and I'm gonna hate writing that part.

message 14: by Mermaidfreak89 (new)

Mermaidfreak89 OH NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

I love Darwin deez!!!!!

message 16: by Randi, Movies, Music, Merpeople (new)

Garrett wrote: "I like the song Cosmic Love by Florence and the Machine. I use it as the theme song for two of my characters, who are dating. One of them is a mermaid and the other the captain of the swim team. He..."

I like the idea, but make sure you make a differance between their personalities. Make her unique.
Florence and the Machine and Harry Potter are my biggest obssessions. So sad she didn't win Best New Artsit Sunday:(
Grace Potter and the Nocturnals are some of my favorites as well.

message 17: by Garrett (new)

Garrett (garrettgoodreads) Will do! And who the heck was that Esperanza chick anyway? I mean, you think for someone to be the Artist of the Year you would have at least heard OF them before.

message 18: by Randi, Movies, Music, Merpeople (new)

I know! I sat through Beaver Face and eminem and this weird tripppy Cee Lo Green thing just for that!

message 19: by Garrett (new)

Garrett (garrettgoodreads) LOL! :D

message 20: by Mermaidfreak89 (new)

Mermaidfreak89 hey i like jb but anyways ya i agree about esparanza.........who is she?

message 21: by Randi, Movies, Music, Merpeople (new)

NO idea. It annoys me.

message 22: by hapˈhazərd (new)

hapˈhazərd (haphazrd) | 33 comments ALL I SAW WAS FLORENCE AND THE MACHINE AND I AUTOMATICALLY LOVED THIS GROUP!

Also, Mermaid by Regina Spektor http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBObc7...

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

I LOVE FLORENCE AND THE MACHINE!!!!!!

message 24: by hapˈhazərd (new)

hapˈhazərd (haphazrd) | 33 comments YES!

message 25: by Mermaidfreak89 (new)

Mermaidfreak89 ME TOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Mermaidfreak! I made the mermaid RP!!!!

message 27: by Randi, Movies, Music, Merpeople (new)

Her music is surprisingly addictive.

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

I know right???!!!

message 29: by Garrett (new)

Garrett (garrettgoodreads) Here's the Italian version of one of the songs on Mermaid Melody Pichi Pichi Pitch. It sounds so sad, especially if you know the backstory of the mermaid who is singing this song.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABYYYa...

message 30: by Garrett (new)

Garrett (garrettgoodreads) So here's a playlist I made of songs that have to do with mermaids, sirens, or just the ocean in general. I made it to help me get inspiration for my writing. And some of these songs are just so, so good! Here they are:

Infinite Legends - Two Steps From Hell (not mermaid related, but I heard it in a trailer for a mermaid movie and loved it)
Into the Ocean - Blue October
There, There - Radiohead (mentions sirens and shipwrecks)
Swimming - Florence + The Machine (LOVE the beat to this one!)
Siren Song - Bat For Lashes
Storm - Lifehouse (one of my faves, so sad-sounding)
Ocean Night Song - Laura Veirs
Hurricane - 30 Seconds To Mars
Song to the Siren - This Mortal Coil (Love the ocean imagery in this one)
I Need To Know - Kris Allen (had to put it because of the line "feels like I'm breathing underwater)
In The Deep - Bird York (second fave!!!)

message 31: by Randi, Movies, Music, Merpeople (new)

Swimming has been on every single one of my mermaid book playlists so far (and I'm working on three). So excited for their new album!!!

message 32: by Randi, Movies, Music, Merpeople (new)

I've got so many more songs in mind that if you'll let me collect my thoughts I'll have the master playlist set up sooner or later. I might post it to the merblog as another layer of the mermaid movies series thing I had in mind.

message 33: by Garrett (new)

Garrett (garrettgoodreads) Oh yeah, you should totally do that! We could have a kind of post on mermaid songs. That'd be awesome.

message 34: by Randi, Movies, Music, Merpeople (new)

Lady Gaga released the You And I video today and her mermaid alter ego thing named Yuyi is featured! The plot is basically Yuyi getting legs and fallin' in love and gettin' married in Nebraska. There's come cool imagery in the video, although most of the dance set-ups kind of suck and don't go with the video.

message 35: by Garrett (new)

Garrett (garrettgoodreads) I saw it, too! The tail was better in this one that when she performed it live! I really like her mermaid portrayal, like the gills on her face. :)

message 36: by Randi, Movies, Music, Merpeople (new)

Yeah I really enjoyed it. I liked the song before hand anyway, but it got even better with the video. Can you believe that's Gaga in drag on top of the piano?

message 37: by Garrett (new)

Garrett (garrettgoodreads) Lol, I know! I watched it on Youtube's VEVO thing, and it had a picture of her in drag out to the side, but I didn't know it was her until I watched the video. :D

message 38: by Randi, Movies, Music, Merpeople (new)

I think it's quite hilarious since all those crazy people are always saying she's a man or a tranny or whatever. But yeah, the video's good. Probably my favorite one from Born This Way.

message 39: by Garrett (new)

Garrett (garrettgoodreads) Why is it I can't stop swaying every time I listen to "Swimming" by Florence and the Machine? :D It's like I can't stop swaying to the beat, no matter how hard I try! GC, I blame you for introducing me to such an addicting song! :D

message 40: by Rogier (new)

Rogier (rorocapri) | 32 comments Garrett wrote: "Why is it I can't stop swaying every time I listen to "Swimming" by Florence and the Machine? :D It's like I can't stop swaying to the beat, no matter how hard I try! GC, I blame you for introducin..."

me2 lol

message 41: by Randi, Movies, Music, Merpeople (new)

If you listen to all of her other songs (she released some new stuff recently, there's some decent live youtube versions) it's impossible to stop listening. I've had the album a good year and I still listen to something from Flo + And the Machine every day. It's the most addicting band in the history of addicting bands.

message 42: by Rogier (last edited Sep 02, 2011 02:59PM) (new)

Rogier (rorocapri) | 32 comments think this would be a awsume song 4 a merfolk,sirens,selkies book
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYwLb3...

message 43: by Garrett (new)

Garrett (garrettgoodreads) That song was EPIC! I love Plumb (one of their songs was featured on the Vampire Diaries, and I loved it!) I think this song is going to become the theme song for one of my mermaid story ideas. :)

message 44: by Randi, Movies, Music, Merpeople (new)

I know Plumb :) They're on Christian radio all the time, which my mom's really into.

message 45: by Randi, Movies, Music, Merpeople (new)

GUYS GUYS GUYS FLORENCE WELCH SANG PART OF YOUR WORLD AND IT'S FUNNY AND SWEET AND YOU NEED TO HEAR IT RIGHT FLADOODLING NOW!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nRGCe...

message 46: by Garrett (new)

Garrett (garrettgoodreads) Ahh!!! That was so awesome!! Plus, she kinda has the whole Ariel-hairstyle going on. Loved it!

message 47: by Randi, Movies, Music, Merpeople (new)

She could totally play a mermaid. I think I mentioned her in that blog series I did.......I gotta update that.... *zips off to the blog*

message 48: by Garrett (new)

Garrett (garrettgoodreads) Yeah! That'd be a great blog entry! I saw where Gaga performed part of the song, too.

message 49: by Rogier (new)

Rogier (rorocapri) | 32 comments Guitar Chick wrote: "GUYS GUYS GUYS FLORENCE WELCH SANG PART OF YOUR WORLD AND IT'S FUNNY AND SWEET AND YOU NEED TO HEAR IT RIGHT FLADOODLING NOW!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nRGCe..."

awsume

message 50: by Garrett (new)

Garrett (garrettgoodreads) Evanescence has a couple new songs from their new album that could be considered mermaid-y.
The first one is called "Oceans" and this would be for the darker, sinister, badass mermaids.
The second one is more of a mermaid song. It's called "Swimming Home," and I'm, like, 99.9999999% positive that this song is actually mermaid-inspired. It has the whole "mermaid" feel to it.

« previous 1

}~>O MERBOOKS: The Group For All Things...

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Drowning Mermaids (other topics)