Fashion Book Lovers! discussion

Dying in Style (Josie Marcus, Mystery Shopper, #1)
This topic is about Dying in Style
Past Fashion Fiction Group Reads > Dying in Style by Elaine Viets

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jamie (last edited Dec 29, 2010 12:33AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jamie  (jaymers8413) | 524 comments Mod
This is for the discussion of the January/February fashion inspired fiction book winner Dying in Style (Josie Marcus, Mystery Shopper #1) by Elaine Viets.

Dying in Style (Josie Marcus, Mystery Shopper, #1)

Has anyone started this book or plan to? What do you think about it?

message 3: by Jamie (last edited Jan 04, 2011 04:08PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Great! I have to get both books from the library so it will be a few days until I start also.

Monique (thebeautygirl) the libraries in my area don't carry this book, but thankfully it's available in a digital version. i received an e-reader for christmas, so it works out perfectly! :) as soon as it's downloaded, i'll dive right in-- great pick! :)

Great Monique!

I will be picking this book up Monday!

message 7: by Jamie (last edited Jan 09, 2011 11:37AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Thats great Kari!

I have read the first five chapters. I don't really like the anti-high fashion comments and I feel like it's not really that realistic.

I am at ch. 11 and there are so many things that seem unrealistic or cliche but it is getting better.

message 10: by Jamie (last edited Jan 23, 2011 04:17PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

I finished the book! I gave it three stars. The book got better throughout and I could see the series growing creatively as the author grows with the series. Over all, like I said before, some things do not seem realistic. They way Josie's daughter talked did not seem like a nine year old and the fact that her best friend could not leave her husband because he would take her child away seemed unreasonable (He would not legally be able to). I did not see the point of her mother having a shopping problem unless it comes out later in the series. Also the whole trafficking osmium-187 (?) to terrorist seemed a little silly.

I totally agree.

message 12: by Phair (new)

Phair (sphair) | 78 comments I'm afraid I gave up on the book after the first few chapters. Maybe I didn't really like the main character or her drive to have her kid in that la-di-da school. I was surprised at how much I disliked the book given that I read and loved several of Viets other series- the Dead End Job books.Book #1 of that series Shop Till You Drop was set in an exclusive boutique & IIRC had much more fashion content. They also had more of an ensemble cast and a lot more humor. This book seemed forced and almost paint-by-numbers. I knew from the minute Serge (or whatever his name was) was mentioned that he would be up to no good. I skipped to the last chapter for the final "chase" which seemed too over the top ridiculous.

I agree, there was not a lot about fashion though I am one to talk. My only purse is a $1.25 red canvas mini duffle bag that I wouldn't trade for all the Birkins or Pradas in the world.

I don't think you need expensive things to be fashionable. I just think if you buy expensive clothes there is no reason you should not be fashionable haha! The book shop till you drop sounds good!