We Love Lisa Kleypas discussion

Bekah's Fun House! > Got Resolutions?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 51 (51 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Bekah, Fellow Kleypasaholic (new)

Bekah (bekah317) | 2750 comments What are they???

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Hmmmmm Here is an unusual one....
Lose weight at least 50 pounds??????
I believe in miracles.

Fani *loves angst* (fanip) Go to the gym at least twice a week and buy less than 5 books (audiobooks included) per month:)

message 4: by Bekah, Fellow Kleypasaholic (new)

Bekah (bekah317) | 2750 comments hmm..i should probably come up with some... I've stopped in years past, but I think its a good idea...it feels nice to at least have the intention to be better, right???

Number 1 for me would be get a job
2. Get finances in order and become debt free
3. Start a fund for a down payment on a house
4. Be healthier
5. Continue growing savings

message 5: by Megan (new)

Megan | 546 comments I agree with Bekah, I have the intention to do the following, lol

1. Take better care of myself and get more "me time" to do the things that make me happy (play piano, read, scrapbook, etc.)
2. Get finances in order and save more for the future, set financial goals
3. Get house organized (for good! lol)
4. Seriously consider having another child. My husband and I have been talking a lot about it lately. It feels wrong to type "be pregnant by this time next year" lol, but that might be the idea, once we are ready for it.

message 6: by Bekah, Fellow Kleypasaholic (new)

Bekah (bekah317) | 2750 comments wow, thats a big one Megan!!!! Would love to hear how that resolution turns out.

message 7: by Megan (new)

Megan | 546 comments Bekah wrote: "wow, thats a big one Megan!!!! Would love to hear how that resolution turns out."

LOL, I'm hesitant only because I was soooo sick with my first child. I was honestly sick multiple times every day for 8 1/2 out of the 9 months. It was ridiculous. Plus I've gotten use to sleeping at night and don't want to give that up yet. :) I'll just wait and see what the new year has in store for me.

message 8: by Bekah, Fellow Kleypasaholic (new)

Bekah (bekah317) | 2750 comments how old is your first?

message 9: by MashJ (new)

MashJ | 733 comments I think that reolutions 3 and 4 my fight against each other Megan! My home has never recovered from the birth of sprog number 2 (he's now 4 and a half). Good luck though.

message 10: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Certifiable St. Vinnie's Ninny (last edited Dec 30, 2010 05:40AM) (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 3737 comments 1. Try not to be so stressed and such a worry-wart.
2. Be consistent with my exercise routine, and eat better.
3. Only buy books that I know I will read and not just languish on my tbr pile. Be a more discerning book-huntress!
4. Get my yard and garden back into shape. It's looking not so good.
5. Get my garage organized.

message 11: by Megan (new)

Megan | 546 comments Bekah wrote: "how old is your first?"

she is 3 1/2, and a lot of work, lol

message 12: by Megan (new)

Megan | 546 comments Mshj wrote: "I think that reolutions 3 and 4 my fight against each other Megan! My home has never recovered from the birth of sprog number 2 (he's now 4 and a half). Good luck though."

lol, I at least want the illusion of organization. I don't know how other people keep there houses running so smoothly. By the time I work all day, get groceries etc., cook supper, do dishes, clean, laundry, take care of family and spend time with them (we have been playing a lot of Candy Land and Scooby Doo Bingo since Christmas, lol) its midnight and I'm tired and haven't got to read yet, and my house is still not perfect. Its exhausting.

message 13: by Bekah, Fellow Kleypasaholic (new)

Bekah (bekah317) | 2750 comments I can only imagine...I watch some of my friends with kids and think how can you do it every day??? Then on the days I have my little niece and she spends the night Im tuckered out!! And so glad to hand her back to mommy!!

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

My daughter has 6 ages 12, 10, 8, 6, 3 and 2. I don't know how she does it but she does. She home schools home births and runs her husbands business. She keeps a neat house too. When they stay over our house it is trashed even when only 3 stay it is trashed. LOL
I know about tuckered out....
My younger daughter says she doesn't mind if she doesn't have children.... she'll just take one of them. hehe

message 15: by Bekah, Fellow Kleypasaholic (new)

Bekah (bekah317) | 2750 comments wow....just wow

message 16: by Pamela(AllHoney) (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 469 comments I've only got one. She is 10 and a handful for me. I could probably survive 2 children but no more that that. (Although, I did foster care for a while and had up to 4 on several occasions). I'm slowing down a lot in my old age. lol.

Ever see that show called 19 and Counting? No way could I do 19 children...

message 17: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Certifiable St. Vinnie's Ninny (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 3737 comments 19, no way! I always wanted 3 or 4. Probably won't happen now.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

LOL
Yes I saw 19 and counting!!!!!!!!!!! Ouch!!!!!!!!!!!!!
They are so organized .... I bought one of them for my daughter so she could see how they organized everything. She has her own way of doing things though.
All I know is my daughter and son in law, love and enjoy their kids and have a lot of PATIENTS. I think that's why they are good at it. I only had 2 girls and it was great. She has 3 boys.... AHHHHHHHH
They are the ones that tire me out. Well two of them anyway.

message 19: by Bekah, Fellow Kleypasaholic (new)

Bekah (bekah317) | 2750 comments me too Danielle! 4 seemed a good number to me..though I'm terrified of labor.

Why won't it happen?

message 20: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Certifiable St. Vinnie's Ninny (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 3737 comments I'm 37 going on 38 right now. Not married. So, unless I get married pretty soon, I'll be of 'advanced maternal age' when I finally get around to having kids.

message 21: by Bekah, Fellow Kleypasaholic (new)

Bekah (bekah317) | 2750 comments ah, well part of my dream of four kids involved adoption...I think it can be a wonderful thing!

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

Three of my friends had a child at 40 and 41.
Still time if you want.....lol

message 23: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Certifiable St. Vinnie's Ninny (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 3737 comments I used to say I wouldn't have kids in my 40s, but I've changed my mind about that. Had to. Bekah, I'm fine with adoption. I was discussing it with my friend who is a year older than me and in the same boat.

message 24: by ATron (new)

ATron | 23 comments I'd say my "good intentions" would include:
1) (I'll copy Lady D. here) Maintain a more reliable/stable exercise routine, i.e., 3 days a week.
2) Maintain last year's weight loss. I was lucky enough to drop the weight... I gotta make it last.
3. Keep a more organized house. (looks like I'm mimicing many of you)
4) I'm gonna throw a completely zany, out of left field one on here... Get my belly button pierced or get a tattoo... I've always wanted one or the other... I'm thinking with turning 40 in a couple of weeks I could call it my "mid-life crisis". ;D

message 25: by ATron (new)

ATron | 23 comments Lady Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "I'm 37 going on 38 right now. Not married. So, unless I get married pretty soon, I'll be of 'advanced maternal age' when I finally get around to having kids."

You never know, sweetpea... Your delicious hero could already have 3-4 kids himself... ;)

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Amen to that ATron!

message 27: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Certifiable St. Vinnie's Ninny (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 3737 comments Oh I'd be fine with meeting a guy with a houseful of kids, so long as they were well-behaved and not evil teenagers. :)

message 28: by ATron (new)

ATron | 23 comments I'll borrow from Faithmarie and say, "Amen to that, Lady D." My oldest becomes a 12-year-old preteen in February. Gee, I can hardly wait. ;)

message 29: by MashJ (new)

MashJ | 733 comments Lady Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "Oh I'd be fine with meeting a guy with a houseful of kids, so long as they were well-behaved and not evil teenagers. :)"

You could have mine!

message 30: by D.G. (new)

D.G. A few of my resolutions for next year:

1. Decide whether I'll have children or not
2. Change jobs
3. Exercise more

I've been married for almost 10 years and we haven't had children by choice. I'm just 34 but my husband is 50 so if we are going to have children, we need to decide this soon.

We're both good with children so we know we'd love them and care for them, it's just that we've been married for so long and we're comfortable and happy. I know children put lots of stress in marriages and I don't want to give mine up.

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

1. Lose that 25 (now 30) pounds!
2. Brand new devotional book to start Jan 1. Plan to stick with it.
3. Keep the house neater. finding goodreads is NOT conducive to this happening!!

message 32: by Bekah, Fellow Kleypasaholic (new)

Bekah (bekah317) | 2750 comments 10 years is a very solid and strong foundation D.G., unless you have specific cause to worry...I'm betting your marriage will survive children. Though it will be a HUGE change to your lifestyle...but it may bring out new dimensions in each other with which to adore even more.

Congrats on the 10 years.

message 33: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Certifiable St. Vinnie's Ninny (last edited Dec 30, 2010 10:16AM) (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 3737 comments DG, I am no one to give an educated opinion, since I am unmarried and I have no kids, but from what I've heard, children add a bond to marriage as well. Marriage is stressful period. Like Bekah, I don't see how kids could ruin a marriage that lasted ten years. I think that having a child between you can create something special between a couple. But I could just be naive.

message 34: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Certifiable St. Vinnie's Ninny (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 3737 comments Mshj wrote: "Lady Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "Oh I'd be fine with meeting a guy with a houseful of kids, so long as they were well-behaved and not evil teenagers. :)"

You could have mine!"

You say that now, Mshj. Just remember your kids will take care of you in your old age. Ask my mother about that.

message 35: by MashJ (new)

MashJ | 733 comments Lady Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "DG, I am no one to give an educated opinion, since I am unmarried and I have no kids, but from what I've heard, children add a bond to marriage as well. Marriage is stressful period. Like Bekah, I..."

Absolutely seriously kids have put a huge strain on my marriage. My husband and I recently had our second night together away from the kids in seven years.

message 36: by Bekah, Fellow Kleypasaholic (new)

Bekah (bekah317) | 2750 comments would you make different choices if you had the chance Mshj?

message 37: by MashJ (last edited Dec 30, 2010 10:41AM) (new)

MashJ | 733 comments Bekah wrote: "would you make different choices if you had the chance Mshj?"

yes, I recognise that I shouldn't have had kids.

But as I have them I am doing my best.

message 38: by ATron (last edited Dec 30, 2010 10:45AM) (new)

ATron | 23 comments Personally, I think, anything in day-to-day life can put strains on marriage. *shrugs* It's just the way of things. You're either working together as a team or you're at odds... Disagreements happen. Annoyances happen. I like the team approach, myself.

You both have to want the child/children for the child/children... not as a potential bond nor strain on the marriage. One of you cannot be simply conceding the desire for children to the other -- meaning you want kids, but your hubs doesn't or vice versa.

But I will say, I agree that your 10-year foundation is AWESOME whether you decide to try for kids or not. Congratulations!

Just my 2 cents...

message 39: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Certifiable St. Vinnie's Ninny (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 3737 comments Sometimes I think my parents shouldn't have had kids. :)

Seriously, I think all parents have those days, Mshj.

message 40: by Bekah, Fellow Kleypasaholic (new)

Bekah (bekah317) | 2750 comments Mshj wrote: "Bekah wrote: "would you make different choices if you had the chance Mshj?"

yes, I recognise that I shouldn't have had kids.

But as I have them I am doing my best."

how old are your kids?

My parents have always told us: "Don't have kids for us!" Granted they LOVE LOVE LOVE being grandparents, and that is one huge incentive to me for having kids, but they recognize how extraordinarily difficult it is to have children today. Its not like it used to be!

message 41: by Megan (new)

Megan | 546 comments Having children is a big decision, and it does totaly change your life and relationship. I always hate when my friends ask me advice on children and how it changes your life, becuase there isn't a right answer.

I always just say it depends on the person. Just because you have children doesn't mean they will benefit your marriage or complete your life. It just changes it. I like going to work all day, coming home to my family, just the 3 of us, eating supper and playing games and just living a simple life. Luckily my husband likes that too.

My marriage has totally changed since I had a child, and I only have one. We still love eachother as much as we did before, but we definitely don't have as much couple time just the 2 of us. But we make a point to stay connected emotionally and physically, otherwise it would be realy easy to drift apart, even if you love eachother.

BTW, having kids totally changes your sex life too, lol.

message 42: by Pamela(AllHoney) (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 469 comments Lady Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "Oh I'd be fine with meeting a guy with a houseful of kids, so long as they were well-behaved and not evil teenagers. :)"

Ever see the original Yours mine and ours? with Lucille Ball and Henry Fonda? lol

message 43: by Bekah, Fellow Kleypasaholic (new)

Bekah (bekah317) | 2750 comments like permenantly??

How??

message 44: by D.G. (new)

D.G. Oh I'm sure my marriage will survive children. It's just that I know it will be a huge change and like everybody, I'm afraid of some changes. :)

message 45: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Certifiable St. Vinnie's Ninny (last edited Dec 30, 2010 12:19PM) (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 3737 comments Pamela, that was a fun movie!

DG, I don't like changes either. But, some of the most drastic changes I've made were the best life decisions for me.

message 46: by Megan (new)

Megan | 546 comments Bekah wrote: "like permenantly??

How??"

There is just no time for it like there used to be. You have other responsibilities.

Example: Spontaneously having sex in the garage because you can and want to versus having 6 minutes until Dora the Explorer is over and she is no longer glued to the TV and the garage is the only safe place at the moment. You have 6 minutes and 6 minutes only, so don't waste time! There will be no mintue 7! lol

BTW, I have been reading too much erotica lately so my mind is kinda warped at the moment. haha

message 47: by MashJ (last edited Dec 30, 2010 01:57PM) (new)

MashJ | 733 comments Bekah wrote: "How old are your kids

I have a 7 year old girl and a boy of 4. They are both lovely kids- a beautiful caring princess and a little tearaway. They just want so much of me though!

As for sex- well I FAINTLY remember daytime sex but with two kids the dynamics are even worse!

message 48: by Bekah, Fellow Kleypasaholic (new)

Bekah (bekah317) | 2750 comments lol..funny example Megan!!!!

although, from what I remember garage sex was really good in Smooth Talking Stranger!!!

Big diff I know! :-)

message 49: by Heidi (last edited Dec 31, 2010 06:11AM) (new)

Heidi | 871 comments Hey Gals...my resolution is not to make one!

As for kids, mine are 10(daughter) & 11(son). They are 1 year and 12 days apart in age, and yes it was planned that way, would have been closer if it happened! I had them young for todays standards I'm told. I was 23 when I had my son. We had been married 2 year prior. I now see people I went to school with JUST having kids, and I'm thinking "holy crap, no way in hell would I want to be just starting"...sooooo glad I did it early and young. Once my babies are grown, hubby and I will still have lots of life left!

message 50: by MashJ (last edited Dec 31, 2010 09:16AM) (new)

MashJ | 733 comments Heidi wrote: "Hey Gals...my resolution is not to make one!

As for kids, mine are 10(daughter) & 11(son). They are 1 year and 12 days apart in age, and yes it was planned that way, would have been closer if it..."

Blimey- that's close together! I couldn't conceive sprog 2 until I stopped breastfeeding the first one when she was nearly two.

I did the life stuff before starting a family at 35- had the travel and career stuff first so I'll only just have got rid of mine when I retire.

« previous 1