YA Apocalyptic and Dystopian Fiction discussion

Off-topic > Movies!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 103 (103 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Dec 28, 2010 03:07PM) (new)

Ok everyone! What's your favorite Post Apocalyptic movies? Or your favorite movies in general. For PA I'm partial to zombie movies haha :) The Resident Evil franchise is my fav! But my all time favorite movie is Star Trek.

What about you guys??

message 2: by Summer, MIA since 2014 (new)

Summer (sunsset) | 49 comments Mod
I've never even seen star trek xD I've tried my best to stay away from it.

Umm my favorite Post Apocalyptic movies are 28 days later and 28 weeks later. The Resident Evil ones are really good too. I just have a thing for fast zombies :)

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

OOO! I like those ones too! Have you seen I am Legend? with Will Smith? That one's pretty different and I liked it.

Never seen star trek?! Dude it's awesome! Haha :)

message 4: by Summer, MIA since 2014 (new)

I love Will Smith so much! He's god-like in my mind. That movie was okay, but I hated how he was the ONLY person practically the whole movie.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah, I can see your point with that, but I thought they did a good job of pulling that off :)

Hey did you know they're making a Hunger Games movie? I'm so stoked!

message 6: by Summer, MIA since 2014 (new)

Really?! Ahhh!
My excitement level is now way too high for me to be considered sane!
Now that Harry Potter's almost over, I need something else to sustain me :)

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

HP Part 2! Yes! So excited!

Yes I'm so excited for a HG movie, but I don't think they even have a cast for it yet. It's not slated to come out till 2013.

If you have time, watch this clip. It's about 10 mins. It's an audition tape and I totally think that girl should be Katniss. This video is amazing!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_jw3z...

In other news, have you seen/want to see Tron?

message 8: by Summer, MIA since 2014 (new)

With my luck, we'll all be dead in 2012 Dx
Hunger Games movie better come out before then!

Nah, I haven't seen it or had an urge to. What's it about anyway?

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

You know, I heard the whole 2012 end of the world calculation was wrong! Lol :)

It's about a guy getting trapped in a computer game and trying to save his dad. It's pretty good if you're into that kind of movie. Also, Garrett Hedlund, the main character is super hot! I've decided he's my new boyfriend since my last boyfriend Jake Gyllenhaal is going out with Taylor Swift.

message 10: by Summer, MIA since 2014 (new)

I dunno, haha. I just wish I had a bunker to hide in that whole month!

Damn Jake Gyllenhaal moving on so quickly! I guess Garrett Hedlund will have to do for now. I think I might have to see it now. maybe.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

So I've recently watched Zombieland for the first time and I totally loved it. Haha so funny...

I also watched Book of Eli with Denzel Washington. That's a pretty good movie too. Has anyone else seen it?

*Suzy (ereaderuser)* (suzyereaderuser) Has anyone watched The Walking Dead on AMC?

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

OOO! I just watched the first three episodes! It's awesome and I love it! Hmm...I think I'll make a thread for it! Yay! :) Totally awesome series!

*Suzy (ereaderuser)* (suzyereaderuser) Here's a list of a few good books included in a list of upcoming movies.

http://www.nextmovie.com/blog/upcomin...

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks Suzy! That list is totally awesome! :)

*Suzy (ereaderuser)* (suzyereaderuser) I need to read I Am Number Four before it comes out. I like to read a book before a movie is released.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

I want to read that one too! But I've just read so many crappy reviews of the book so I'm skeptical. I'll probably only read the book in order to bask in the hotness of Alex Pettyfer when I see the movie...

*Suzy (ereaderuser)* (suzyereaderuser) Really...I didn't look at the reviews. Bummer.

message 19: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 26, 2011 09:20PM) (new)

I know, I need to stop looking at reviews before I read a book. Bad reviews usually don't stop me from reading a book though, because I like to form my own opinion. Also, in the case of books being turned into movies - I have to read the book first, or I'd probably have a spaz attack haha. And if there's a hot guy in the movie, it gives me extra motivation to read the book first. *Dreamy Sigh* Alex Pettyfer...

*Suzy (ereaderuser)* (suzyereaderuser) I couldn't help myself...I just watched the trailer. He is dreamy! And I'm definately reading the book! The story seems pretty awesome to me.

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Yep, I'm definitely gonna be reading the book soon too!

message 22: by Starry-Eyed Jen (new)

Starry-Eyed Jen (starryeyedjen) you guys should totally read the book! :) it's a good read, not great, but good, and it borders along the lines of superman, if you're into that kind of thing...i am. ;) plus, it's only the first book in a series...the second book comes out in august. and, yeah, if alex pettyfer isn't motivation enough, nothing is. =)

*Suzy (ereaderuser)* (suzyereaderuser) I happened to see a preview of a new show starting later this year called Falling Skies. Has anyone heard anything about it?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1462059/

message 24: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 30, 2011 08:28PM) (new)

I hadn't heard of it before now, but wow, that looks really good! Thanks for sharing the link! Can't wait! :)

message 25: by Amber (new)

Amber Carson (momtwo3) | 30 comments wow Suzy! I had not heard of that but i just went and watched the Trailer and it looks pretty promising! maybe it will be good enough to drag me away from my reality TV shows...lol

message 26: by Katie (new)

Katie Amy wrote: "I want to read that one too! But I've just read so many crappy reviews of the book so I'm skeptical. I'll probably only read the book in order to bask in the hotness of Alex Pettyfer when I see the..."

I have been loving the previews for the movie and usually like to read the books first before watching the movie. I am also put off by the less than stellar reviews the book has recieved but I think I'll give it a shot in the next couple of weeks.

message 27: by Christine (new)

Christine Kersey | 4 comments I loved I Am Legend. I also enjoyed 2012 - It was a little over the top, but good special effects.

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

So, I'm just gonna admit it-I'm obsessed with Tangled. I don't go fangirl for movies like Twilight. It's all about the cute animated movies! Has anyone seen it?! Please say yes!

message 29: by Adela (new)

Adela Clancy My all time favorite movie would have to be Good Will Hunting.

But as for apocalyptic/post-apocalyptic movies, lol I have quite a few...
-The Road- I didn't really enjoy this movie all that much but I thought it provided a pretty realistic outlook on what a post-apocalyptic world might look like should it actually happen sometime soon.

Then some zombie flicks I particularly enjoyed-
The Walking Dead, Resident Evil(1,2,3&4), Dawn of the Dead(remake), The Crazies, and of course Zombieland.

There might be more but I can't think of any at the moment. lol

message 30: by Bethany (new)

Bethany I love Tangled!!! It was sooo cute. I am all about Good Will Hunting...love that movie. As far as zombie movies go, I definitely tend to enjoy the comedies more than the drama, or horrors. I hate horror Period. But I loved Shaun of the dead and I nearly peed my pants watching Zombieland...so funny!

As far as my faves...that's hard. One of my all time favorites is The Shawshank Redemption.

message 31: by Adela (new)

Adela Clancy Oh that's one of the one's I forgot, Shaun of the Dead. That was a pretty good one too :)
&The Shawshank Redemption, Loved that movie, it probably makes my fav's too ;P

message 32: by Paula (new)

Paula Williams (daystealer) | 42 comments Went to see Source Code last weekend--great movie. Husband turned to me and said, "That's my story." He'd given me the idea and I wrote 1/2 of a novel on an angel giving a girl the gift of repeating four minutes to save the world. Made me want to go back to my story and finish it. Is there ANYTHING new under the sun to write about?
BTW, Source Code was fantastic sci-fi

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

I want to see Source Code so badly! Jake Gyllenhaal is so hot! Prince of Persia is one of my favs! Thanks for the good rec Paula, now I'm definitely gonna have to go see it!

Another movie I love is How to Train Your Dragon. Man, I am a cartoon movie freak!

message 34: by Amber (new)

Amber Carson (momtwo3) | 30 comments I took my kids to see Hop on Friday and it was really funny and super fun to watch with the kids! I figured it would be a real flop so i made sure i brought my nook with me so i could read while they watched it but it was so funny and had a great storyline. I will definitely be buying it when it comes out on blu-ray. I also took them to see Rango last Monday and none of us liked it the story seemed boring to me and the kids.

message 35: by Bethany (new)

Bethany Amy wrote: "I want to see Source Code so badly! Jake Gyllenhaal is so hot! Prince of Persia is one of my favs! Thanks for the good rec Paula, now I'm definitely gonna have to go see it!

Another movie I love i..."

I LOVE How to train your dragon!!! I bought it for my Husband for Christmas..lol. I was so mad that it didn't beat Toy Story 3 for the oscar. Dreamworks is definitely putting out some good stuff. If you haven't seen MEGAMIND yet....DO IT! I was sooo good! and very funny.

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

Seen Megamind. Loved it! If it's a cartoon movie, I've most likely already seen it haha. Amber, I haven't seen Hop! It sounds cute, but it looks kinda lame. But now that I know you thought the same thing going in, I just might have to see it. I'll probably wait till it comes out on video though!

message 37: by Bethany (new)

Bethany So...I was browsing IMDB and I saw an article that Nick Pustay, who is directing Shiver is in all likelihood going to also direct Firelight. Apparently they are going to adapt Sophie Jordan's novel and bring it to the big screen...this is one I didn't know about.
Here's a list of some of the upcoming film adaptations. Many of these I knew about, but not all.

If I Stay (If I Stay, #1) by Gayle Forman Wings (Wings, #1) by Aprilynne Pike The Forest of Hands and Teeth (The Forest of Hands and Teeth, #1) by Carrie Ryan The Maze Runner (Maze Runner, #1) by James Dashner The Angel Experiment (Maximum Ride, #1) by James Patterson Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver Wicked Lovely (Wicked Lovely, #1) by Melissa Marr Uglies (Uglies, #1) by Scott Westerfeld The Host (The Host, #1) by Stephenie Meyer Shiver (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #1) by Maggie Stiefvater City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1) by Cassandra Clare The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1) by Suzanne Collins Beautiful Creatures (Caster Chronicles, #1) by Kami Garcia Firelight (Firelight, #1) by Sophie Jordan Heist Society (Heist Society, #1) by Ally Carter Delirium (Delirium, #1) by Lauren Oliver Incarceron (Incarceron, #1) by Catherine Fisher A Great and Terrible Beauty (Gemma Doyle, #1) by Libba Bray Vampire Academy (Vampire Academy, #1) by Richelle Mead Marked (House of Night, #1) by P.C. Cast Fallen (Fallen, #1) by Lauren Kate Valiant (The Modern Faerie Tales, #2) by Holly Black
Okay...so that's a lot! Just remember that IMDB is not 'gospel truth'. But for the most part they are reliable. So, YAY! I'm excited about soooo many of these!!!

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

I don't know why IMDB thinks they should torture us with things that may never come true...

I've also heard that the Septimus Heap books are gonna be turned into movies. I have yet to read the first one, but they sound pretty good.

Ungh! Freaking Catherine Hardwick is supposed to direct Maximum Ride...enough said.

message 39: by Bethany (new)

Bethany Oh my GOSH!!! I know...friggin Catherine Hardwick. I was so peeved when I saw that. Like, it's totally not to be mean because she's a human being and all, but I don't understand why she gets hired...LOL! I will say, however, that I went into watching Red Riding Hood with SUPER low expectations and it wasn't as awful as I thought it'd be. But still I just do not like her style. Her directing just looks like this weird low budget style of shooting....I hate it.

Okay...enough venting. LOL. I've not heard of the Septimus Heap books. It makes me think of Artemis Fowl...lol, which are probably also being opted for the big screen. who knows these days.

message 40: by Angie (new)

Angie (angiebayne) Amy wrote: "So, I'm just gonna admit it-I'm obsessed with Tangled. I don't go fangirl for movies like Twilight. It's all about the cute animated movies! Has anyone seen it?! Please say yes!"

I loved Tangled too! I just saw it a couple of weeks ago and thought it was fabulous. I also loved How to train your dragon. Animated movies are so fun sometimes.

message 41: by Jen (new)

Jen (baynej) | 169 comments Angie wrote: "Amy wrote: "So, I'm just gonna admit it-I'm obsessed with Tangled. I don't go fangirl for movies like Twilight. It's all about the cute animated movies! Has anyone seen it?! Please say yes!"

I lov..."

You know I loved it! I have a weakness for animated! :)

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

I want to see Rio really bad! I can't get my brother to go see it with me though. He's just not cool enough I guess.

message 43: by Amber (new)

Amber Carson (momtwo3) | 30 comments we are going to see Rio tonight so I will be sure to let you know what we think....

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

I would appreciate that! Wanna see so bad!

message 45: by Amber (new)

Amber Carson (momtwo3) | 30 comments We just got home from seeing Rio in 3D, it was AMAZING! it quickly made its way to the top of my list of all time favorite animated movies!! the character voices were fantastic and the storyline was easy enough for a child to follow and exciting enough that adults dont get bored. on several occasions the adults in the theater were laughing so hard the kids shushed us....lol....because it was opening night for Rio the kids all got Rio movie posters which was exciting for them. I do recommend Rio, it was great!

message 46: by Jen (new)

Jen (baynej) | 169 comments I'm a big Johnny Depp fan! Rio is on my list to see too!

message 47: by Bethany (new)

Bethany Jen wrote: "I'm a big Johnny Depp fan! Rio is on my list to see too!"

You're thinking of Rango...that's the one Johnny did. That one looks really good too. Rio is the one with all the Birds.

Rio looks Awesome...I think I'm gonna take my kids. They've never seen a theatre movie yet so I think Rio would be a good one for the experience.

message 48: by Jen (new)

Jen (baynej) | 169 comments Bethany wrote: "Jen wrote: "I'm a big Johnny Depp fan! Rio is on my list to see too!"

You're thinking of Rango...that's the one Johnny did. That one looks really good too. Rio is the one with all the Birds.
"

Bethany ~ You're right - I was thinking Rango! :) Rio does look cute too though (blue bird right?)

message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

Yep! Blue bird :) I haven't seen Rango either, but I've been wanting to! Amber, you're killing me! I'm gonna have to wait till it comes out on video because no one will go to the theater with me!

message 50: by Amber (new)

Amber Carson (momtwo3) | 30 comments I know you wont believe me but we went to a 10:00pm showing hoping that most parents wouldn't bring their kids to the movies that late and there were more adult couples and single adults then children in Rio....you should go!!

« previous 1 3