Young Writers discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives > Book Suggestions!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 85 (85 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Annemarie, hi (new)

Annemarie Carlson (annielawlz) | 3393 comments Mod
Do you have any books you want to suggest for people to read? Do you have any questions about books? Are you sick of me asking questions yet?

Juust kidding. Suggest books and junk here.

message 2: by Mandy (new)

Mandy  Harmon (mandyharmon) | 10724 comments Alliance Is an amazing sci-fi book. LOVE IT.

message 3: by Jillian (last edited Dec 28, 2010 11:55AM) (new)

Jillian (jilljam) | 145 comments The two books i've recently read and recommend are

Lament The Faerie Queen's Deception (Books of Faerie, #1) by Maggie Stiefvater
and
Beautiful Creatures (Caster Chronicles, #1) by Kami Garcia

message 4: by Annemarie, hi (new)

I'm reading Beautiful Creatures right now!

message 5: by Kim (new)

Kim Crowley (kimcrow) | 1893 comments I was enjoying Beautiful Creatures for a while, but then it started to bore me. I put it down two thirds of the way through quite a while back, and I haven't picked it up since. Badkim. I should really try and read it again soon, because honestly, it wasn't that bad when I actually stuck to it.

message 6: by Jillian (new)

Jillian (jilljam) | 145 comments The first half was just okay, but by the very end I just loved it :) I had my friend read it and she loved it and borrwed the second one from me, then she suggested it to our other friend and she as well loved it :)

message 7: by Brigid ✩, No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. (new)

Brigid ✩ | 11973 comments Mod
Jillian [ Kane ] wrote: "The two books i've recently read and recommend are

Lament The Faerie Queen's Deception (Books of Faerie, #1) by Maggie Stiefvater
and
Beautiful Creatures (Caster Chronicles, #1) by Kami Garcia"

I loved both of those!

message 8: by Baxter, butts butts butts (new)

Baxter (julietrocksmysocks) | 2455 comments Mod
I'll recommend...Songs of a Dead Dreamer by Thomas Ligotti. It's a short story collection. Ligotti is one of the most original horror writers ever. And most of his stuff isn't all that scary, just VERY odd and VERY surreal, which tends to make you uncomfortable. Except The Frolic, that story is just full on sleep reducing.

Some of his stories fully recognize horror cliche's (such as the narrator talking about how it'd be completely ridiculous to even imply that the thing is looking at him right now) but then he employs them into the story and STILL makes you freak out a bit. So yeah, he is basically the best horror writer since Lovecraft, which is saying a lot.

message 9: by Kyle (new)

Kyle T (kyletee) | 75 comments If anyone hasn't read the Steig Larsson Millenium Novels you HAVE to, I loved them. The characters are rounded and you can really get into the writing. And the books are all very long, the perfect length as to not blow right through them and forget them after you read your next book!

Really really good!

message 10: by Annemarie, hi (new)

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and such?

Jordan, The Picture Magician (aka Probie) (thepicturemagicianakaprobie) | 2218 comments For all you writers(which basically means everyone; if you're not a writer, then what the heck are you doing here? Anyway:) I would recommend On Writing by Stephen King. Changed. My. Life.

message 12: by Tesni (new)

Tesni (ohmarcello) | 5031 comments I still haven't read On Writing yet, though I've been meaning to for aaaaages.

message 13: by Kyle (new)

Kyle T (kyletee) | 75 comments Juliet - The GIrl with the Dragon Tattoo and such?

YEAH!

message 14: by Brigid ✩, No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. (new)

TOLI wrote: "If anyone hasn't read the Steig Larsson Millenium Novels you HAVE to, I loved them. The characters are rounded and you can really get into the writing. And the books are all very long, the perfect ..."

Yes! I really like those, too. I haven't finished the third yet, though. I'm working on it. :P

There are some things I don't like about them. Like, there are a lot of needless details, sometimes the pacing is very slow, and the author tends to write long passages about characters that aren't very important. But the story is complex and interesting, and Lisbeth Salandar is a fascinating character. So yeah, they're definitely worth reading. ;)

Just a note, these books are not kid-friendly in the least. There's a lot of sex/violence and disturbing images. So I'd say don't read them if you're younger than 14-15 or so … and even that might be a bit of a stretch. Depends on what you can handle. :P

message 15: by Kyle (new)

Kyle T (kyletee) | 75 comments yeeaahhh probably should've mentioned that, thankyou for putting that out there...I'd feel bad if there were any needless surprises when someone was reading the book.

message 16: by Brigid ✩, No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. (new)

Heh, sure thing. :) Yeah, that would be pretty bad O_o … "They stuck a parakeet up her what now?"

message 17: by Acacia (new)

Acacia (acaciaa) Wait wait wait what?

I have that book in my suitcase right now and what's this about a parakeet?

message 18: by Annemarie, hi (new)

Heheehehe

Actually.... no. I have no right to be heheing, I have no idea what the parakeet is about.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Mandy wrote: "Alliance Is an amazing sci-fi book. LOVE IT."

I looooove that book.

message 20: by Brigid ✩, No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. (new)

Acacia wrote: "Wait wait wait what?

I have that book in my suitcase right now and what's this about a parakeet?"

*whistles innocently* Nothing.

message 21: by Brigid ✩, No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. (new)

~ ♪She-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named [Yue]~ wrote: "Jordan, The Picture Magician (aka Probie) wrote: "For all you writers(which basically means everyone; if you're not a writer, then what the heck are you doing here? Anyway:) I would recommend On Wr..."

On Writing changed my life too. Amaaaazing book.

message 22: by Kyle (new)

Kyle T (kyletee) | 75 comments On Writing was amazing, I forgot about that one, really really great!

message 23: by Mandy (new)

Mandy  Harmon (mandyharmon) | 10724 comments SKitts/Cassie [Team Riley THIS IS SPARTA!] wrote: "Mandy wrote: "Alliance Is an amazing sci-fi book. LOVE IT."

I looooove that book."

Meeeeeee toooo.

Shreya=Drastically Random. Find the emoticon. | 1078 comments I guess the Absolutely True Diary of a Part-time Indian...even though it's kinda gross.

message 25: by Isaac (new)

Isaac | 8014 comments Star Wars Expanded Universe books!

*squeal!*

Maria [the clockwork creeps on useless lives] (mariachhile) | 8772 comments Mod
Read Paper Towns or you die.

message 27: by Mandy (new)

Mandy  Harmon (mandyharmon) | 10724 comments ...I did...

message 28: by Tesni (new)

Tesni (ohmarcello) | 5031 comments IF I STAY. THAT BOOK <3
It wins. I've read it four times since I first read it, which was last summer.

Jordan, The Picture Magician (aka Probie) (thepicturemagicianakaprobie) | 2218 comments On Writing-Steven King

*LOVE*

message 30: by Mandy (new)

Mandy  Harmon (mandyharmon) | 10724 comments I KNEW JORDAN WAS ONLINE. I SO CALLED IT.

message 32: by Mandy (new)

Mandy  Harmon (mandyharmon) | 10724 comments I know right? I WIN.

message 33: by Tesni (new)

Tesni (ohmarcello) | 5031 comments Yes you do. Twice isn't enough :P

message 34: by Mandy (new)

Mandy  Harmon (mandyharmon) | 10724 comments Wow! That's really impressive! *goes to read The Branding*

message 35: by Mandy (new)

Mandy  Harmon (mandyharmon) | 10724 comments Why was it deleted?

message 36: by Annemarie, hi (new)

Because it was very clear spam?

message 37: by Mandy (new)

Mandy  Harmon (mandyharmon) | 10724 comments *shrugs* Whatever.....

message 38: by Elliott (new)

Elliott | 22636 comments Mod
T e s n i wrote: "IF I STAY. THAT BOOK <3
It wins. I've read it four times since I first read it, which was last summer."

I need to finish reading that.

message 39: by Tesni (new)

Tesni (ohmarcello) | 5031 comments Yes. Yes you absolutely do.

message 40: by Elliott (new)

I shall then!

message 41: by Tesni (new)

Tesni (ohmarcello) | 5031 comments Go for it.

message 42: by Elliott (new)

*requests from library*

message 43: by Kelvin (new)

Kelvin O'Ralph (kelvinoralph) | 2 comments LS: The Beginning is a lovely paranormal romance book.

message 44: by Mitch (new)

Mitch (i-am-not-real) | 1495 comments Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher.

An emotional suspense novel that will change your life.

message 45: by Brigid ✩, No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. (new)

Eh, that book didn't change my life.
It was good-ish though.

message 46: by Luna (new)

Luna (daughterofselene) | 87 comments I like Redtails in Love and Death be not Proud. And A Medicine for Meloncoly(and other short stories).

message 47: by Cutter100 (new)

Cutter100 | 52 comments Maria wrote: "Read Paper Towns or you die."

This the ghost of Cutter100 writing. I'd suggest The Book Thief (narrated by Death), its one of my favorite books and a very interesting read, very different than a lot of other historical fiction I've read about World War II. I finally read a book called Bog Child recently, and I quite liked that as well, set in 1980s Ireland.

message 48: by Tesni (new)

Tesni (ohmarcello) | 5031 comments The Book Thief= absolutely one of my all-time favourite books ever.

Also, I haven't read Bog Child but I've read her novel A Swift Pure Cry. It was excellent.

message 49: by Cutter100 (new)

Cutter100 | 52 comments I'm currently reading A Swift Pure Cry, and quite liking it so far.

message 50: by Tesni (new)

Tesni (ohmarcello) | 5031 comments APPROVE.

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.