Young Writers discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives > Story Endings

Comments Showing 1-50 of 577 (577 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

message 1: by Kim (new)

Kim Crowley (kimcrow) | 1893 comments How do you like your stories to end? Do you like a romantic ending that will melt your heart out, or one that is such a cliff hanger that you think you will fall to the bottom of some mahoosive gorge if you move an inch?

Discuss away.

message 2: by [deleted user] (last edited Dec 28, 2010 11:49AM) (new)

I hate cliff hangers. If your book is good, you won't need an absolutely atrocious cliff hanger to keep people reading. I think that books need to have some sense of closure--otherwise, they might as well be really long chapters.

message 3: by Mandy (new)

Mandy  Harmon (mandyharmon) | 10724 comments Agreed.

message 4: by Tesni (new)

Tesni (ohmarcello) | 5031 comments Rebekka wrote: "Most of mine end... openly, for a lack of a better word. What I mean is I leave a lot of unresolved questions and things for people to understand about the characters and why they did what they di..."

I love antagonists as well. Especially misunderstood troubled types with interesting histories. Their motives and such fascinate me.

message 5: by Kriss (new)

Kriss (krisslee) | 5015 comments Mod
I love antagonists. They're my favorites. Kierlan is more of an antagonist than a hero in my story, and he just screws up everything.

message 6: by Tesni (last edited Dec 28, 2010 01:28PM) (new)

Tesni (ohmarcello) | 5031 comments If ever I actually finish a novel, most of the killing off of the characters happens elsewhere in the story. However, I think The Captive will end with a death of some sort.

I'm not too big on cliffhangers, either reading or writing them, mostly because in lots of circumstances they're just un-needed conclusions that pave the way to other unnecessary follow-ups.

message 7: by Kriss (new)

I think it depends a lot on the story. I usually like "bittersweet" endings, but if there's enough reason for it, I think "happy" endings can be good to, just not all the time or like in the last book of a seiries. Sometimes the characters go through hell to get something and deserve a happy ending.

But mostly, my favorites are bittersweet or sad endings.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Kriss wrote: "I think it depends a lot on the story. I usually like "bittersweet" endings, but if there's enough reason for it, I think "happy" endings can be good to, just not all the time or like in the last b..."

I love bittersweet endings. They're a pleasant mix between realism and giving the characters a break. xD

message 9: by Kriss (new)

I hate overly happy endings usually-- still depends on the story, because sometimes people do get happy endings. But like Maxy said, bittersweet ones are more realistic, because not always in real life does everything end up horrible either.

message 10: by Brigid ✩, No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. (new)

Brigid ✩ | 11973 comments Mod
Bittersweet.

message 11: by Baxter, butts butts butts (new)

Baxter (julietrocksmysocks) | 2455 comments Mod
I'll agree with Kriss, totally depends on the story. I really have no big preference. I suppose I'm fond of coming full circle with something, and also a good old ambiguous one though.

message 12: by Brigid ✩, No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. (new)

Yeahhh it does depend. In most cases, I feel like the main character should get part of what he/she wants but he/she loses something or has to sacrifice something in the process. If the main character just gets everything he/she wants in the end, it doesn't feel very realistic to me. I do like happy endings, but I think the semi-happy semi-sad endings are typically my favorite.

message 13: by Kyle (new)

Kyle T (kyletee) | 75 comments perfectly bittersweet is what I like to call it

message 14: by Luna (new)

Luna (daughterofselene) | 87 comments I tend to kill off someone important.

Jordan, The Picture Magician (aka Probie) (thepicturemagicianakaprobie) | 2218 comments For me,the ending usually means an epic standoff with one or more of the main characters dying a horribly macabre death.

message 16: by Acacia (new)

Acacia (acaciaa) I approve of this Artemisdaughter33 person.

message 17: by Kriss (new)

Acacia wrote: "I approve of this Artemisdaughter33 person."

As do I.

message 18: by Mandy (new)

Mandy  Harmon (mandyharmon) | 10724 comments Rebekka wrote: "If I could, I'd totally write a "so happy/cute you want to ball your eyes out" ending. I don't know about you guys, but the almost-ending-part-where-the-Asian-kid-is-at-his-boy-scouts-ceremony scen..."

UP? Aww, I love that movie.

message 19: by Elliott (new)

Elliott | 22636 comments Mod
You might be able to if you tried.

message 20: by Luna (new)

Luna (daughterofselene) | 87 comments Cool I'm approved!

message 21: by Autumn (new)

Autumn (flwurautumn) | 4987 comments I like endings on both ends of the spectrum, but none of this cliffhanger/lingering questions nonsense. Those drive me crazy. But I like happy endings, because sometimes I just feel like the characters deserve for something happy to happen to them. But the really sad endings tend to be the ones that really stick out in my mind and leave some sort of meaning. Oh, and in stories where the character has been trying to make a decision and then they somehow choose both? Those are lame. FOR EXAMPLE: In Glee (XD) there was a tie between the two groups and I just thought that was, like, really cheap.

message 22: by Elliott (new)

Yes! I hate it when they get to have both things they want most of the time. It's so LAME and cop-out-ish.

message 23: by Autumn (new)

Autumn (flwurautumn) | 4987 comments Yeah! I'm like "Wow, were you really so lazy you can't decide?"

message 24: by Elliott (new)

Sometimes they probably just don't want to anger people.

message 25: by [deleted user] (last edited Dec 29, 2010 03:51PM) (new)

I agree about the cop-out endings.

I watched Inception last night, and it gave me a new perspective about ambiguous endings. (I don't think that spoils anything for the people who haven't seen it.) There are ambiguous endings like the one in Inception, which are meant to confuse you and make some sort of statement. Then there are the ambiguous endings that are just lazy, like the author just didn't want to tie anything up. I hate the latter. The former can have a remarkable effect in the proper context.

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

I kind of mean when it's only ambiguous for the sake of being ambiguous. The writer wants it to be all puzzling and open-ended so everyone can imagine what they want, but with the way the story was written, it should have had a clearer ending. When it goes against everything else that happened. For example:

Jimmy went to the store to buy a carton of milk. When he walked to the refrigerator aisle, however, no milk was there.

That's just a lazy way to end things. It wouldn't be that difficult for the author of that mini-story to just say what happened, since there are only so many possibilities. Am I making any sense at all?

message 27: by Autumn (new)

Autumn (flwurautumn) | 4987 comments The Worst Ending Ever: And when I woke up it was all a dream.

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

Cool. Haha.

I feel like I'm being really preachy about wrtiting. I'm sounding off my views on almost every topic, when I haven't actually gotten past chapter one in a story for a year...

message 29: by Autumn (new)

Autumn (flwurautumn) | 4987 comments No, you can still have opinions about other people's writing. And stuff. And books. And stuff. Yeah.

message 30: by Mandy (new)

Mandy  Harmon (mandyharmon) | 10724 comments Rebekka wrote: "Mandy wrote: "Rebekka wrote: "If I could, I'd totally write a "so happy/cute you want to ball your eyes out" ending. I don't know about you guys, but the almost-ending-part-where-the-Asian-kid-is-a..."

Me too. It's such an adorable, funny story.

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

Maxy wrote: "I hate cliff hangers. If your book is good, you won't need an absolutely atrocious cliff hanger to keep people reading. I think that books need to have some sense of closure--otherwise, they might ..."

Well, unless there is a sequel, I hate cliff-hangers too. I don't always like series, but when there's a cliff-hanger ending, I HAVE to read the next one.

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

Maxy wrote: "Cool. Haha.

I feel like I'm being really preachy about wrtiting. I'm sounding off my views on almost every topic, when I haven't actually gotten past chapter one in a story for a year..."

That's okay. You can have an opinion.

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

I only have to read the next one if I like the series already. Catching Fire and Hunger Games ended in ridiculous cliff-hangers, but I still don't have any desire to read Mockingjay.

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

That is a valid point. Like how I refuse to finish House of Night. I hate those books.

message 35: by Brigid ✩, No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. (new)

Maxy wrote: "I only have to read the next one if I like the series already. Catching Fire and Hunger Games ended in ridiculous cliff-hangers, but I still don't have any desire to read Mockingjay."

Yeahhh. Bleh. I hate endings like that.

message 36: by Brigid ✩, No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. (new)

SKitts/Cassie [Team Riley THIS IS SPARTA!] wrote: "That is a valid point. Like how I refuse to finish House of Night. I hate those books."

HOUSE OF NIGHT. Those books are so freaking stupid. I hate them. But I read them anyway.

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

♥ Brigid ♥ wrote: "SKitts/Cassie [Team Riley THIS IS SPARTA!] wrote: "That is a valid point. Like how I refuse to finish House of Night. I hate those books."

HOUSE OF NIGHT. Those books are so freaking stupid. I hat..."

They make Twilight look like good literature.

message 38: by Annemarie, hi (new)

Annemarie Carlson (annielawlz) | 3393 comments Mod
House of Night... hehe. I think me and Brigid have talked about them pretty extensively.

message 39: by Kriss (new)

Juliet wrote: "House of Night... hehe. I think me and Brigid have talked about them pretty extensively."

They make me giggle.

Their horrible.

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

Kriss wrote: "Juliet wrote: "House of Night... hehe. I think me and Brigid have talked about them pretty extensively."

They make me giggle.

Their horrible."

(They're)

message 41: by Kriss (last edited Dec 29, 2010 08:05PM) (new)

SKitts/Cassie [Team Riley THIS IS SPARTA!] wrote: "Kriss wrote: "Juliet wrote: "House of Night... hehe. I think me and Brigid have talked about them pretty extensively."

They make me giggle.

Their horrible."

(They're)"

I know this o: sorry... don't really grammar check my normal posts, but I swear I know the difference between Their, There, and they're

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

Kriss wrote: "SKitts/Cassie [Team Riley THIS IS SPARTA!] wrote: "Kriss wrote: "Juliet wrote: "House of Night... hehe. I think me and Brigid have talked about them pretty extensively."

They make me giggle.

..."

*grins* S'alright. I do the same thing.

message 43: by Kriss (new)

oh my o.o so those are Danish?

message 44: by Kriss (new)

Huh, fascinating XD ... I am horrible with other languages. I'm sorta okay with Latin, but I think that's just because I wanna learn it one day.

Are you Danish?

message 45: by Kriss (new)

Oh, cool. German is an awesome language too. I like Russian as well; I like the way it sounds. Dunno why; doubt I'll ever learn it though. I probably won't ever learn Latin.

Oh, cool!

message 46: by Kriss (new)

Ohh, okay. Haha... and yeah, me to. I like all the Russian sounds. And Russian writing is so cool looking o.o

What about coffee?

message 47: by Kriss (new)

Oh god.

I like our $2.25 coffee.

message 48: by Kriss (new)

Haha, yes. I think it may be more than that, a little, or less. It depends on what you get, I think.

What is this topic, anyhow? Ummm... huh.

message 49: by Tesni (last edited Dec 30, 2010 02:30AM) (new)

Tesni (ohmarcello) | 5031 comments Kriss wrote: "Oh, cool. German is an awesome language too. I like Russian as well; I like the way it sounds. Dunno why; doubt I'll ever learn it though. I probably won't ever learn Latin.

Oh, cool!"

RUSSIAN FTW.
Я люблю изучать русский язык. Я думаю, русский язык очень прекрасно. но я очень плохо. Русская грамматика трудно.

:D

message 50: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 870 comments SKitts/Cassie [Team Riley THIS IS SPARTA!] wrote: "♥ Brigid ♥ wrote: "SKitts/Cassie [Team Riley THIS IS SPARTA!] wrote: "That is a valid point. Like how I refuse to finish House of Night. I hate those books."

HOUSE OF NIGHT. Those books are so f..."

If goodreads allowed you to like comments, I'd favourite this one!

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.