Unlocking Books discussion

2012 Group Reads > Nominate Upcoming Reads

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rita, Busy Bee (new)

Rita Webb (ritawebb) | 351 comments Mod
Anyone have recommendations for our monthly read? I'm needing ideas for Older YA and Younger YA.

I'll compile the list for voting.

message 2: by Rita, Busy Bee (new)

message 3: by S.M. (new)

S.M. Carrière (smcarriere) | 43 comments I'm afraid I don't generally read YA. It's not snobbery, I promise!

message 4: by Rita, Busy Bee (new)

You can nominate a non-YA that is also appropriate for young adults. Last month, I recommended The Speed of Dark as an older YA pick. It's a great SF novel about an autistic man.

The Speed of Dark by Elizabeth Moon

message 5: by S.M. (new)

S.M. Carrière (smcarriere) | 43 comments Ah... it's the appropriate for young adults thing that has me. Since I don't generally read Y.A., I don't know what is considered appropriate or not.

I do think that fantasy buffs would get a kick out of Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erickson. It's quite dense, but absolutely enthralling.

message 6: by Rita, Busy Bee (new)

I'll add it to the list of books for voting.

message 7: by Kyle, The Damned Yankee (new)

Kyle Borland (kgborland) | 41 comments Mod
Unwind by Neal Shusterman

It is SO good!

message 8: by Wendy, Goddess of the Corn (new)

Wendy (wendyswore) | 56 comments Mod
Fablehaven! By Brandon Mull.
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/44...
If you've not read these books, you should. Plain and simple. Good for middle grade as well as YA. I've got kids across the board and they all love it.

message 9: by Rita, Busy Bee (new)

Because we are a small group, I'm not going to have voting at this time. Instead, I will just start scheduling books from this list. Any objections?

message 10: by Wendy, Goddess of the Corn (new)

Some more recent YA:
Pegasis

Firelight

Dragon's Keep

...I could go on and on. I love YA books.

message 11: by Stephanie (last edited Feb 10, 2011 07:39AM) (new)

Stephanie (chasmofbooks) I have no idea what it's like but we could read The Low Road. I have yet to read it and I told my mom I would. Pillage is a really good read. But I'd really would like to read A World Without Heroes by Brandon Mull in March.

A Break with Charity: A Story about the Salem Witch Trials is really awesome, I read it recently. I'm not sure what audience it's supposed to please but it's worth the time. And also, we should read The Lost Hero. It's actually classified with children's book (on the older end) but anyone can read and enjoy it. Think of the writing like Brandon Mull. Kids understand and enjoy it but adults are entertained too.

message 12: by Rita, Busy Bee (new)

I'll schedule those in.

How come I only heard of Brandon Mull in the last few days? And here a second person mentions him for a totally different series! I've ordered his first Fablehaven book from the library (as an audiobook). We'll get to read it as a family in the car. We've been sharing books that way a lot lately.

message 13: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (chasmofbooks) The Fablehaven series is amazing! I'll read anything he writes!

message 14: by Wendy, Goddess of the Corn (new)

I bought the Lost Hero but have yet to read it. We're still in the 5th Fablehaven. He is a great writer. :)

message 15: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (chasmofbooks) Oh my goodness; The Lost Hero is amazing! It's better than the Percy Jackson series (if you read it).

message 16: by Jeanne (new)

Jeanne (jeanne_voelker) | 61 comments I'm co-moderating a piano group and the other moderator, Klymene, mentioned Forest Born by Shannon Hale. Have the people here already read it?

We were discussing the value of music study and I'm astounded by the maturity and insight of these young piano students. Some of them are writers as well -- well, they all must be writers, because they write and express themselves beautifully.

Take a look at our first topic:
http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/5...

message 17: by Rita, Busy Bee (new)

Out of the list of suggestions, I picked Pegasus for April and The Lost Hero for May. One book a month rather than two.

message 18: by Kate (new)

Kate Quinn I loved the Lost Hero. When is the next in the series coming out?

message 19: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (chasmofbooks) There isn't an official release date for The Son of Neptune but speculation leads us to believe that it'll probably be around October.

message 20: by Rita, Busy Bee (new)

I've wanted to read Rick Riordan. Stephanie's nomination was just an excuse for me.

message 21: by Stephanie (last edited Mar 25, 2011 04:03PM) (new)

Stephanie (chasmofbooks) The Lost Hero is much better than the Percy Jackson series (if you read them). Of course, there are a lot of die-hard Percy fans...Jason is so much cooler though.

message 22: by Rita, Busy Bee (new)

I was wondering if anyone would like to nominate a book by a goodreads author because I could try to invite them in for a Q&A. Let me know if you have any suggestions.

message 23: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (chasmofbooks) There's Vampires Rule by K.C. Blake. I just finished it the other day. It has a great story.

message 24: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (chasmofbooks) I just finished reading Entwined by Heather Dixon and I must say, I've never read anything like it. I found it absolutely enjoyable. All of the characters are so loveable.

message 25: by Kyle, The Damned Yankee (new)

Kyle Borland (kgborland) | 41 comments Mod
How about Paranormalcy? It has really good reviews. I'm going to read it after I finish Invincible: The Chronicles of Nick.