Bookmarks Subscribers discussion

Bookmarks Best Books By Year > Bookmarks Best Books 2010

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa (last edited Dec 28, 2010 10:03AM) (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 986 comments Here's the round-up of the top 50 Bookmarks staff favorites for the year 2010:

Literary Fiction
The Invisible Bridge A Novel by Julie Orringer Matterhorn A Novel of the Vietnam War by Karl Marlantes The Lacuna by Barbara Kingsolver The Three Weissmanns of Westport by Cathleen Schine Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel Generosity An Enhancement by Richard Powers 36 Arguments for the Existence of God A Work of Fiction by Rebecca Newberger Goldstein Invisible by Paul Auster The Autobiography of Fidel Castro by Norberto Fuentes A Friend of the Family by Lauren Grodstein True Confections A Novel by Katharine Weber Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simonson The Lost Books of the Odyssey A Novel by Zachary Mason The Girl Who Fell From the Sky by Heidi Durrow The Surrendered by Chang-rae Lee The Lotus Eaters by Tatjana Soli Parrot and Olivier in America by Peter Carey The Cookbook Collector by Allegra Goodman Father of the Rain by Lily King Kings of the Earth by Jon Clinch A Visit from the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan The Help by Kathryn Stockett

Crime
Strip by Thomas Perry Spies of the Balkans by Alan Furst 61 Hours (Jack Reacher Series, #14) by Lee Child 13 1/2 by Nevada Barr The Executor by Jesse Kellerman The Information Officer by Mark Mills Blacklands by Belinda Bauer

Science Fiction
Finch by Jeff VanderMeer Sleepless by Charlie Huston Feed (Newsflesh, #1) by Mira Grant Horns by Joe Hill The Passage (The Passage, #1) by Justin Cronin The Complete Stories of J.G. Ballard by J.G. Ballard

General Nonfictions
The Good Soldiers by David Finkel Nothing to Envy Ordinary Lives in North Korea by Barbara Demick Yours Ever People and Their Letters by Thomas Mallon

Biography
Pops A Life of Louis Armstrong by Terry Teachout Woodrow Wilson A Biography by John Milton Cooper Jr. The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind Creating Currents of Electricity and Hope by William Kamkwamba A Ticket to the Circus A Memoir by Norris Church Mailer Furious Love Elizabeth Taylor, Richard Burton, and the Marriage of the Century by Sam Kashner

History
The Big Burn Teddy Roosevelt and the Fire that Saved America by Timothy Egan Hellhound On His Trail The Stalking of Martin Luther King, Jr. and the International Hunt for His Assassin by Hampton Sides The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot Operation Mincemeat How a Dead Man and a Bizarre Plan Fooled the Nazis and Assured an Allied Victory by Ben MacIntyre

Science
The Science of Liberty Democracy, Reason, and the Laws of Nature by Timothy Ferris The Disappearing Spoon And Other True Tales of Madness, Love, and the History of the World from the Periodic Table of the Elements by Sam Kean 101 Theory Drive by Terry McDermott

message 2: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 986 comments How many of the staff favorites have you read? What is still on your TBR?

message 3: by LynnB (new)

LynnB I've only read 9 of these, but I have these on my TBR: one fiction, Matterhorn A Novel of the Vietnam War by Karl Marlantes and 4 non-fiction, Nothing to Envy Ordinary Lives in North Korea by Barbara Demick The Big Burn Teddy Roosevelt and the Fire that Saved America by Timothy Egan Operation Mincemeat How a Dead Man and a Bizarre Plan Fooled the Nazis and Assured an Allied Victory by Ben MacIntyre The Disappearing Spoon And Other True Tales of Madness, Love, and the History of the World from the Periodic Table of the Elements by Sam Kean .

message 4: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 986 comments I've read 10 out of the 50. These are the books I've read:
The Lacuna by Barbara Kingsolver The Three Weissmanns of Westport by Cathleen Schine Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simonson The Girl Who Fell From the Sky by Heidi Durrow The Cookbook Collector by Allegra Goodman A Visit from the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan The Help by Kathryn Stockett Blacklands by Belinda Bauer The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot

I'll be starting The Invisible Bridge A Novel by Julie Orringer in the next few days.

I hope to get to these soon:
Matterhorn A Novel of the Vietnam War by Karl Marlantes The Lotus Eaters by Tatjana Soli True Confections A Novel by Katharine Weber The Passage (The Passage, #1) by Justin Cronin The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind Creating Currents of Electricity and Hope by William Kamkwamba The Disappearing Spoon And Other True Tales of Madness, Love, and the History of the World from the Periodic Table of the Elements by Sam Kean

message 5: by Tasha (new)

Tasha I am new to Bookmarks magazine so am sure I will do "better" next year but here is what I have read from this list:

Matterhorn A Novel of the Vietnam War by Karl Marlantes A Visit from the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot

The Invisible Bridge A Novel by Julie Orringer is actively on hold at the library.

The Lacuna by Barbara Kingsolver and The Disappearing Spoon And Other True Tales of Madness, Love, and the History of the World from the Periodic Table of the Elements by Sam Kean are on my list for 2 challenges set for 2011.

More are on my tbr list or will be going on my list :)

message 6: by Linda (new)

Linda | 1482 comments I've read:

Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel The Help by Kathryn Stockett The Passage (The Passage, #1) by Justin Cronin The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind Creating Currents of Electricity and Hope by William Kamkwamba The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot and half of Matterhorn A Novel of the Vietnam War by Karl Marlantes

On TBR:

The Invisible Bridge A Novel by Julie Orringer The Three Weissmanns of Westport by Cathleen Schine Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simonson The Girl Who Fell From the Sky by Heidi Durrow The Cookbook Collector by Allegra Goodman Woodrow Wilson A Biography by John Milton Cooper Jr. Pops A Life of Louis Armstrong by Terry Teachout The Big Burn Teddy Roosevelt and the Fire that Saved America by Timothy Egan Hellhound On His Trail The Stalking of Martin Luther King, Jr. and the International Hunt for His Assassin by Hampton Sides Operation Mincemeat How a Dead Man and a Bizarre Plan Fooled the Nazis and Assured an Allied Victory by Ben MacIntyre

I'll never catch up!

message 7: by Betsy (new)

Betsy (ebburtis) | 1266 comments I'm with you Linda. I rely on a book swap for my books, so while almost all of them are on the TBR list, I only have some of them, and sadly have read NONE of them!

message 8: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 482 comments I've read 10 of these. These are the ones so far:
Matterhorn A Novel of the Vietnam War by Karl Marlantes True Confections A Novel by Katharine Weber Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simonson The Girl Who Fell From the Sky by Heidi Durrow Parrot and Olivier in America by Peter Carey Kings of the Earth by Jon Clinch The Help by Kathryn Stockett Blacklands by Belinda Bauer The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot Operation Mincemeat by Ben MacIntyre

I am waiting for The Invisible Bridge by Julie Orringer on audio at the end of the month and as a poor practicing trumpet player (I need a little inspiration) I plan to get to Pops A Life of Louis Armstrong by Terry Teachout sometime this year.