Bookmarks Subscribers discussion

Group Book Discussion > (Feb/March 2011) Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter - Tom Franklin

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 2: by Lisa (last edited Dec 28, 2010 09:10AM) (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 986 comments I received a copy of this book from BookBrowse back in October. Then, Barnes & Noble chose it as their book of the month in November. My Nook book club also chose it as a group read in November.

Ssss.....Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter slithers up on the reader like a snake in the grass or in the deep, dark woods of Mississippi. The story uncoils itself in alternating turns from past to present through the voices and memories of former childhood friends, Silas and Larry. The setting and dialogue are deeply evocative of the rural south, and the racial relationships are finely drawn. There are some surprising twists and turns along the way, which will cause the reader to question what they think they know. Hmmm, who's the bad guy? Is it black on yellow, or yellow on black? An excellent mystery, but an even better character study!

My Rating: 5 stars

message 3: by LynnB (new)

LynnB I have this on my TBR. I'm glad to hear you rated it so highly, should be good.

message 4: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 986 comments *****Discussion had already started on this book, so I moved it from the Jan/Feb folder to the Group Book Discussion folder*****

This book has been selected as a group read.

message 5: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckymurr) Looking forward to this & will pick it up this weekend

message 6: by Tasha (new)

Tasha Definitely planning on reading this one! I think you sold me on this read when you did your review awhile back, Lisa!

message 7: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckymurr) Waiting for this to arrive, I ordered it on line for a great price

message 8: by LynnB (new)

LynnB I just finished this story and gave it 3 stars. I liked this southern fiction novel. It did have some suspense, but I'm surprised it's been pegged as a mystery novel ... I didn't think there was much mystery. It was a very sad, heart-breaking story. Larry was treated so poorly by everyone and he was such a lonely person. His home life, even before the main events of the book, was very depressing. Silas, his childhood friend and the other main character, brought to the story the question of what is friendship and how deep does it go. The story was well-written and worth the read.

(I have to add that "bobwire" drove me crazy! That is how many people say it, but it wasn't used in conversation. Printed out in narrative, it should have been "barbed wire". Nit-picky, I know.)

message 9: by Tasha (new)

Tasha I finished this one last night and gave it 3 stars. Good story, interesting characters. I just didn't feel as emotionally connected to the characters as I thought I might. I did feel sadness for Larry, what a wasted life he ended up having. Silas had a difficult time too, so I tried to see past his faults, and I did. I liked how he really tried to make amends with his 'friend' at the end through his actions as Larry was not really willing to listen to his apologies.

message 10: by Angie (last edited Mar 01, 2011 05:11PM) (new)

Angie | 3 comments I checked this one out from the online library. I am glad I did not buy. The profanity is a turn off. Some suspense but I don't see this novel as a true mystery. If I had to rate it today I would give it a 1.

message 11: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose | 2 comments I thought this book had a wonderful sense of place

message 12: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Motto | 450 comments I gave this three stars. I think this is one of those books that are ok but probably won't stick with me. What does stick with me is that poor Larry was doomed right from the get go and to make matters even worse, he is thoroughly betrayed by someone he should have been able to have some faith in. The author does a good job of illustrating the power of racial prejudice to ruin lives, both black and white. As sad as this book was, the ending does seem to point to a hopeful new beginning.

message 13: by Tasha (new)

Tasha Nancy wrote: "I gave this three stars. I think this is one of those books that are ok but probably won't stick with me. What does stick with me is that poor Larry was doomed right from the get go and to make m..."

I gave it 3 stars too. You sum it up exactly how I felt about this book too.

message 14: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckymurr) I liked it, gave it 4 stars & I guess the bobwire was to show how it is used in the south, there were other "southern" style words also & I guess the profanity went right over my head LOL....I thought Larry was a likable character....sad story

message 15: by Sera (new)

Sera | 1325 comments I loved this book, giving it 5 stars. Franklin did a great job building up the story. I really enjoyed the back and forth in time approach, and I thought that the ending was perfect. Sad overall, but nice at the end. I'm smiling just thinking about how much I enjoyed it. Maybe listening to it was different from reading it?

message 16: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckymurr) Sera wrote: "I loved this book, giving it 5 stars. Franklin did a great job building up the story. I really enjoyed the back and forth in time approach, and I thought that the ending was perfect. Sad overall..."

Yeah, I thought it was a nice little story too...

message 17: by Sera (new)

Sera | 1325 comments Glad to hear that you enjoyed it, too, Becky.