Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brittomart (new)

Brittomart OMG. So for those of you who aren't iTunes-savvy, podcasts are becoming the new radio, I think. Podcasts are...geez, how do I explain what a podcast is? Maybe wikipedia can help me out:

A podcast (or non-streamed webcast) is a series of digital media files (either audio or video) that are released episodically and often downloaded through web syndication.

I love listening to podcasts while I'm eating lunch or just chillin' in my room, walking from class to class. Even if you don't have an iPod, you can still enjoy podcasts. Most of the time, if someone has a podcast, they upload the episodes on their website AND on iTunes, so it's great.

My favourites are:

1) Doug Love Movies, hosted by comedian Doug Benson. Every week Doug and 3 or more guests discuss movies and play the Leonard Maltin game. I suggest this podcast for movie lovers everywhere.
2) The Nerdist Podcast, hosted by Chris Hardwick, host of Web Soup. For all things nerdy, and they have a lot of comedy discussions.

Do you have favourite podcasts?

message 2: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I listen to the podcasts of Wait Wait Don't Tell Me and This American Life when I miss them on the radio.

I listen to the AVClub Talk podcast when I particularly like or dislike a movie, but I HATE when they talk about books. Why is such a knowledgeable culture site so bad at books?

Um, what else? I like the Vintage ToonCast. Also, I've heard the Ricky Gervais podcast is great but I haven't checked it out.

Oh, and TEDTalks. I love a good TEDTalk. Temple Grandin, William Kamkwamba, Jamie Oliver, etc.

message 3: by Janice (new)

Janice (jamasc) I started and stopped with Distorted View. I downloaded them for my husband so that he could be entertained during a long plane ride. The passengers around us were entertained when he started belly laughing. The humour was indeed distorted.

message 4: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24359 comments Mod
I have listened to a lot of the Slate Culture Gabfest podcasts, but the segments on them can be hit or miss, or so uninteresting I want to weep (Taylor Swift). Same for Slate Audio Bookclub. I will occasionally find random podcasts here and there and download them to my player if I am going to be outside exercising for 45+ minutes.

Listening to podcasts reinforces how bad many people are at speaking. I don't think people necessarily need to be at the level of oratory, but people who are speaking to any audience regularly ought to work on eliminating uhs, ums, and other filler from their speech. One of my pet peeves is beginning many sentences with "so." This seems to be a new thing. I wasn't hearing it 5 years ago.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.