Bookmarks Subscribers discussion

November/December 2010 > I'd Know You Anywhere - Laura Lippman

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 2: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 986 comments Lippman has written a provoking psychological mystery. Eliza Benedict is contacted by a voice from the past, which she has tried to leave behind. Walter Bowman is on death row for murdering two girls and is suspected in the disappearance of more; Eliza is the one who got away. The novel alternates between past and present as Eliza confronts the reentrance of Walter in her life and looks back on her kidnapping when she was a teen.

The story really makes you think about the effects a crime has on a persons life, their relationships, and family. Eliza thinks she has adjusted well, but as the story unfolds the reader can see what Eliza can't. There was a creepy, yet interesting bond between Eliza and Walter, which kept me wondering until the end where Lippman was going to go with it. I thought the topic was relevant considering the Elizabeth Smart trial is now in the news. Lippman has scored again.

My Rating: 4 stars

message 3: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckymurr) I liked the book & this was the first of Laura Lippman's books I have read, I would read more of her books. I gave the book 3 stars.

message 4: by Sera (new)

Sera | 1325 comments Another great read on audio. This book is my first one by Lippman, and I will doubtless read more of her work in the future. This book was a fascinating story about a woman who was kidnapped as a teenager and her tormenter reaches out to her in adulthood while he is on death row. Lippman did a great job telling the two stories in parallel (present day versus 1985 when the kidnapping occurred), setting up layer upon layer of what really happened in the past and what the kidnapper is seeking in the present. Interspersed in between are the main character's familial issues that show how life really does go on and how having been through a horrifying experience doesn't ever relieve anyone of the day to day issues that most people face.

Overall, I highly recommend this book, and if you like audio books, the reader on this one is very good in her subtlety.

My Rating: 4 Stars

message 5: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 986 comments Sera, I love Lippman's novels. I've been reading her Tess Monaghan series. I read books #9 & 10 in the series first, and have now gone back to start at the beginning. I'm next in the ebook line for In Big Trouble, #4. I also own several more of her stand alone books.

message 6: by Sera (new)

Sera | 1325 comments Lisa, IKYA, was my first Lippman book, and I really enjoyed her writing and great storytelling. I will definitely read more of her. Have you read What the Dead Know by Laura Lippman ?

message 7: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 986 comments Not yet, but I own it. I found a nice HB copy at Goodwill.

message 8: by Sera (new)

Sera | 1325 comments Nice. From what I've seen, it's one of her more notable works.