Pick-a-Shelf discussion

Welcome & Ice Breakers > What book are you reading now?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 1,519 (1519 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 30 31

message 1: by Maddy (new)

Maddy | 1 comments The Golden Compass

message 2: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrilovescrows) The Long Quiche Good Bye - Avery Aames

message 3: by LynnB (new)

LynnB | 1667 comments Elizabeth I: A Novel by Margaret George (an ARC, it's due out this spring).

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) | 2834 comments Mod
LynnB wrote: "Elizabeth I: A Novel by Margaret George (an ARC, it's due out this spring)."

Can't wait to read this one, Lynn. Margaret George is one of my favorite historical fiction writers.

Lily of the Nile by Stephanie Dray. An ARC that is due out in January or February about Cleopatra's daughter.

And the last 50 pages of The Stand by Stephen King

message 6: by Erin E (new)

Erin E (elizamc) Just finished The Summoning and now I am on to The Awakening

message 7: by LynnB (new)

LynnB | 1667 comments I'm still reading Elizabeth I: A Novel which is long, so when I need a break, I am also reading short stories in Too Much Happiness by Alice Munro Too Much Happiness by Alice Munro.

message 8: by Tara (new)

Tara | 742 comments I just finished Ice by Sarah Beth Durst . It was a wonderful modern fairy tale set in the arctic... perfect read while looking at all the snow and ice here.
I thought I could use it as a shelf book, but it was under "contemporary" not "contemporary fiction". Oh well, I just figured I would share it with you guys here.

message 9: by Crystal (new)

Crystal Tara wrote: "I just finished Ice by Sarah Beth Durst. It was a wonderful modern fairy tale set in the arctic... perfect read while looking at all the snow and ice here.
I thought I could use it as a shelf bo..."

Looks good to me. Thanks for the suggestion!

message 10: by Crystal (new)

Crystal I am reading Animal, Vegetable, Mineral by Kingsolver and Bay of Angels by Brookner along with a few others.

message 11: by Ally (new)

Ally | 3 comments A Blue So Dark by Holly Schindler:)

message 13: by LynnB (new)

LynnB | 1667 comments Lyn M wrote: "Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese"

That's one of my 5-stars from last fall. It was really good. Hope you enjoy it too!

message 14: by Ally (new)

Ally | 3 comments Fall For Anything by Courtney Summers:)

message 15: by LynnB (new)

LynnB | 1667 comments I'm part way through The Space Between Us by Thrity Umrigar The Space Between Us which I find I'm liking a whole lot more than I expected.

message 17: by LynnB (new)

LynnB | 1667 comments I'm just starting Out Stealing Horses by Per Petterson Out Stealing Horses.

message 18: by Vicki (new)

Vicki LynnB wrote: "I'm part way through The Space Between Us by Thrity Umrigar The Space Between Us which I find I'm liking a whole lot more than I expected."

I really found it to be powerful.

message 19: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jengray72) | 5 comments The Adventures of Tom Sawyer--I'm on a classics kick.

Halfway through Their Eyes Were Watching God and just started You Are Next by Katia Lief

message 21: by Hege (new)

Hege (hegesvendsen) | 1 comments I read mor than one book at a time, so right now I'm reading Jane Eyre, Blameless, The leavig of Liverpool and a few norwegian books as well ;)

message 22: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 2597 comments Dog Tags (mystery) and Warrior (Fantasy/steampunk). listening to (or starting to listen to) The Penelopiad: The Myth of Penelope and Odysseus (I needed something short for the commute today, before I start my Feb challenge listening book)

message 23: by Sam (new)

Sam (ecowitch) | 409 comments I'm reading You Are Next by Katia Lief, which I won on GR and thoroughly enjoying it so far.

I'm also reading OBSERVER'S BOOK OF WILD ANIMALS OF THE BRITISH ISLES by W J STOKOE (EDITOR), which a friend of mine gave me on the weekend (he knows of my love for old books).

Sam wrote: "I'm reading You Are Next by Katia Lief, which I won on GR and thoroughly enjoying it so far.

I'm also reading [book:OBSERVER'S BOOK OF WILD ANIMALS OF THE BRITIS..."

Sam - I read that one. It was really good. Hope you like it.

I am currently reading The Borgias and Their Enemies: 1431-1519 by Christopher Hibbert. Learning a lot about the family and European alliances at that time.

message 26: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (perks53) The White Queen by Phillipa Carr

message 27: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 2597 comments The Cruelest Miles: The Heroic Story of Dogs And Men in a Race Against an Epidemic for the mid-point challenge; The Ghost Map: The Story of London's Most Terrifying Epidemic--and How It Changed Science, Cities, and the Modern World - for another picked shelf book; listening to The Help, then a mystery (Blood of the Wicked) and a couple of random smutty books...book ADD struck big time in the last week and I haven't been able to concentrate on anything

message 28: by Erin E (new)

Erin E (elizamc) Finally started The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and I am working or re-reading Jane Eyre before the new movie is released to theatres.

message 29: by LynnB (new)

LynnB | 1667 comments I just finished The Piano Shop on the Left Bank: Discovering a Forgotten Passion in a Paris Atelier which is a wonderful little memoir about pianos, piano music and living in Paris. May not be for everyone, but if you love music, it's a great little book.

message 30: by Monica (new)

Monica (nutz4reading) I am currently reading Kabul Beauty School An American Woman Goes Behind the Veil by Deborah Rodriguez

message 31: by Ana (new)

Ana (anaelisasm) I'm reading Blindness by José Saramago. It's very intriguing but the language is complicated, it take a while to get used to his style.

message 32: by Ana (new)

Ana (anaelisasm) I finished Blindness yesterday! (I think I'm going to watch the movie too). Today I picked one I bought some months ago and didn't have time yet - Around the world in eighty days, by Jules Verne. Classic!

message 33: by Sam (new)

Sam (ecowitch) | 409 comments I've just started Buried Fire by Jonathan Stroud, kids book I know but I couldn't resist it!

message 34: by Steven (new)

Steven (yam655) | 26 comments I'm reading Mort by Terry Pratchett. (I've ready quite a bit by Pratchett, but couldn't find this one when I was running through them earlier.)

I've been inactive in this group for a long while. I've recently taken to using mass transit -- which gives me plenty of time to read -- and the public library is on one of the bus routes I take.

message 35: by Luann (new)

Luann (azbookgal) | 1006 comments Welcome back, Steven! One of the books I'm currently reading is Going Postal. :)

message 36: by Dionisia (new)

message 37: by Ana (new)

Ana (anaelisasm) I'm reading Eat, Pray, Love one more time!

message 38: by St Joseph (new)

St Joseph Treasury (StJosephTreasury) | 1 comments Which "Holy" Bible Should You Read

The best modern Scriptural Study available exposing the distortion of the Word of God in the hands of modern Biblical scholars - Protestants and "Novus Ordo" (Vatican II "New Order") 'Catholics' alike - face to face with the texts they themselves consider as authoritative for the revised version their respective sects require (that is, suiting the mentality of their leaders and members). Vindicates the authoritative accuracy of the Holy Catholic Douay-Rheims Version (based upon St. Jerome's Sacred Latin Vulgate Bible - the official translation of the Holy Roman Catholic Church). Shows that the differences are not mere technical differences of style but that they change the meanings of the passages significantly as well.

Compares NT passages from the DRB with passages from the Clementine Edition of St. Jerome’s Latin Vulgate Bible and the original Greek, and from 6 Protestant versions and 3 Novus Ordo “Catholic” versions.

The Novus Ordo “Catholic” versions

* The New American Bible (NAB)
* The Jerusalem Bible (JB)
* The New Revised Standard Version – Catholic Ed. (NRSVCE)

The Protestant versions:

* The King James Version (KJV or KJB)
* The New King James Version (NKJV)
* The New Revised Standard Version (NRSV)
* The New International Version (NIV)
* The New American Standard Version (NASV)
* New English Bible (NEB)

e-Book edition in excellent PDF format.

$5 @ webstore.com/~StJosephTreasury

message 39: by Nurture (new)

Nurture Waratah (seldombites) | 8 comments I'm reading 3 books right now, all paperbacks:

'The People's Manifesto' by Mark Thomas
'Sophie's World' by Jostein Gaardner
'Essential Asatru: Walking the path of Norse Paganism' by Diana Paxson

message 40: by Bridgette (new)

Bridgette | 5 comments im currently reading the dragon keeper by robin hobb and revenger by rory clements.

message 41: by Liz (last edited Apr 13, 2011 05:12PM) (new)

Liz I started Sarah's Key today, & so far I'm really liking it! I've been avoiding it for such a long time, but since it was picked for me in the "Pick-a-Book Chain Gang," I finally had to suck it up & get reading. I'm so glad for the extra push to read it!

message 42: by Krys (new)

Krys | 4 comments I am reading Lisey's Story by Stephen King

message 43: by Monica (new)

Monica (nutz4reading) I am currently reading too many books right now. I am reading The Privilege of Youth: A Teenager's Story, One Thousand White Women, Stuck in the Middle and I will be starting 2 or 3 more books this week.

message 44: by Liz (new)

Liz I'm reading Vanity Fair & am getting ready to start The White Queen.

message 45: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 1370 comments I'm listening two books: Ella Enchanted and Numbers. I'm also still reading Time and Chance, my medieval book but it's going slow! I soo like Henry II!!

message 46: by Liz (new)

Liz D.G. ~The Hydra~ wrote: "I'm listening two books: Ella Enchanted and Numbers. I'm also still reading Time and Chance, my medieval book but it's going slow! I soo like Henry II!!"

I read Ella Enchanted a couple years ago & thought it was really fun.
I also have Sharon Kay Penman's Here be Dragons on my bookshelf at home. I've heard her books are very good.

message 47: by D.G. (last edited Apr 25, 2011 11:51AM) (new)

D.G. | 1370 comments It's taken me a while to get used to the Ella Enchanted's audiobook because the narrator sounds soo young! (She's supposed to be 15 but sounds like 12.) Also, there's a lot of music to set the mood which is great but but sometimes it's too loud.

I've only read one book by SKP, When Christ and His Saints Slept which is the prequel of the book I'm reading now and it was AMAZING. I like Henry II a lot and everything is going very well at the beginning of this book but I KNOW everything will go to hell in a hand basket and I sort of don't want to get to that part! That's why it's going so slow.

I'm planning to read SKP backlist but I want to do it in historical order so I get the gyst of what was going on. So first I'll have to finish this series, Henry II & Eleanor of Aquitaine, and then I think I'll move onto the Welsh series (King John is one of Henry II's sons.)

message 48: by Bridgette (new)

Bridgette | 5 comments im currently reading the blade itself by joe abercrombie so far so good even though i just started it. :)

message 49: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 1370 comments Oh I want to read that book, Bridgette!!

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 30 31