Memoirs of a Geisha Memoirs of a Geisha discussion

My fav

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mei (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:36PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mei mei Never read this book but already see this story at cinema, i like this story. There a lot message that i can get from this story.

message 2: by Bookie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:37PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bookie The movie version was good but the book has more detail and of course the book's story is a little different than what they made in the movie.

message 3: by Olivia (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:44PM) (new)

Olivia I thought this was a beautiful book. I was (cliche as it may be) transported. Perhaps Golden was a geisha in a past life?

message 4: by Lynda (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:51PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lynda I took a great preview in youtube (parts) and looked at wikipedia. I'm currently reading this book but I can tell there were some mistakes in the movie while the book has a lot of detail. You can tell the process of her struggles until she finally meets the happy ending.

Helene I loved the book and Goldin's writing created such clear images in my mind. I'm glad I read the book before seeing the movie - so much was missing from the movie - inner thoughts, state of mind, personal fears. All of these were real in the book and I was transported to another time and another place.

Jessica Anne I thought the movie was stunning. The imagery and colors and music were absolutely mesmerizing. Watching the movie was so different than reading the book that I sometimes forget it was the same story. I think you really had the opportunity to get into the characters mind and heart and personality through the book. That's next to impossible to do in a 2 hour movie but I appreciate the effort. Definitely, definitely, definitely, read the book!

Zsuzsanna I loved the book,it was simply amazing!It's my favourite one!!!1The movie,too,but I prefer the book!From the movie I liked Zhang Ziyi-she's really charming,and the beautiful Japanese gardens!

Reena book is anytime batter..read d book 1st n den watchd d film..movie as lot of mistakes or thy might hv chngd d scripts a lil for batter commrcial purpose...while book containt a lot of details..one cn actly go in dat era n see evrythng...its always a advantage dat reader cn knw wt d charectr is thinking at d moment while viewer of d movie cn only see it..n cn assume at SOME extend...

dis one is one of my fav!!! yeehhhh!!

message 9: by Adria (last edited Sep 02, 2011 06:19AM) (new) - added it

Adria This is one of my favorites as well. I like the book more, but I think the movie was still good too. I think it went a little too fast like most movies based on books do, but still a great movie and a great book.

Ginger Beautiful book and a beautiful movie! I have to say that I prefer the book as usual, more detail and insight.

message 11: by Linda (new) - added it

Linda I loved the book especially learning about the Geishas. The nit-picking and jealously was something I didn't know about. Being a Geisha is no easy thing.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

I loooved this book! They did a good job with the movie..movie versions of books usually aren't very good..but this one was a winner.

Sandra I made the popular mistake of watching the movie first. I got the book the very next day of watching the movie, and frankly I loved both. The story is absolutely beautiful, and it shows clearly how competitive and ruthless the life of a Geisha is.
Amazing story, highly recommend it to anybody.

Natasha εïз Loved both the book and movie!

Marina Kamber I was soo amazing with book.
I loved the book especially learning about the Geishas. I had too high expectations of the movie I was disappointed.

Kevin Izworski I read this book around the time the movie was being promoted.Maybe a saw the commercials on a sub conscience basis but I never really knew much about the movie until I finished the book. I must say, when I finally did see the movie I feel it was brilliantly caste. It was like the images in my head were being being played on screen.

BookGirl I saw the movie first, and being mesmerized by the story, I decided to buy the book. This honestly became one of my favorites that I could read it over and over and still enjoy it.

message 18: by Paul (new) - rated it 5 stars

Paul Lovell I also read this book twice. I am hoping my own memoirs will interest similar readers.

PAULYANNA INTERNATIONAL RENT-BOY

Discover what goes on behind the glassy eyed smile of a male street worker. A stereotypical cliché? Perhaps.

I attempt to knock away any preconceptions about damaged goods using plain spoken truth. No added glam or grit, this is my unapologetic story. A social history report. (of sorts). Regards PDL

PAULYANNA INTERNATIONAL RENT-BOY

can be found on Amazon…

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_nos...

https://www.smashwords.com/books/view...

ADD Paulyanna International Rent-boy to your
Goodreads TO-READ list.