Bodice Ripper Readers Anonymous discussion

Group Reads and Challenges > January Group Read: Prisoner of My Desire by Johanna Lindsey

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennefer (new)

Jennefer (jenneferpracticex3) | 444 comments Mod
Our first group read of 2011! Whoo hoo!
Prisoner of My Desire by Johanna Lindsey 1991
Prisoner of My Desire by Johanna Lindsey
'Everybody Loves a Lindsey'... well maybe not everyone, but she is a sure thing for a quick easy read! Should be a fun one!
Average GoodRead rating: 3.88
GoodReads description: Captive Of Love
Spirited Rowena Belleme must produce an heir — or incur the dangerous wrath of a ruthless stepbrother who stands to forfeit his ill-gotten wealth. And the magnificent Warrick deChaville is the perfect choice to sire her child—though it means imprisoning the handsome knight. . .and forcing him to bend to her amorous whims.
Slave Of Passion
Vowing to resist but betrayed by his virility, noble Warrick is intoxicated by Rowena's sapphire eyes and voluptuous beauty. Yet all the while he plans a fitting revenge — eagerly awaiting the time when his sensuous captor becomes his helpless captive. . .and is made to suffer the same rapturous torment and exquisite ecstasy that he himself has endured.
Availability: This one is currently in print so super easy to come by from Amazon new or used or from AbeBooks

Discussions: The group in the past has comment on Lindsey's simple and straightforward style, did this fall in line with those observations? This story has a bit of a twist on the captor/captive scenario, did Lindsey pull it off or did it not work for you? What did you think of the plot and flow of the story? What was your favorite scene? Favorite character? How would you rate this book on a BR scale of 1-10 (1 being very tame 10 being WTF OTT!)?

Please be considerate of others and use 'spoiler spaces' when revealing key plot elements.

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) I've already read this one about 3 or 4 times through the years. Guess I'll get it out again :)

message 3: by Joeera (new)

Joeera  | 107 comments I will start reading it tomorrow

message 4: by Jen (new)

Jen Ooo, the premise seems pretty intriguing

message 5: by Jen (last edited Jan 02, 2011 10:32AM) (new)

Jen Jen wrote: "Ooo, the premise seems pretty intriguing"

Ok,I finished it. It took me a while before I realized that I'd read it once before around 2004 or so.

Honestly, Lindsey's books are always kind of hard to get through. The pacing seems to be slow for me. I'm just glad that at no point did their love become cheesy. I half-expected it to toward the end, though.

I'm not sure I liked Warrick very much, but Rowena was groovy in my mind.

The antagonist was kind of lame, as far as bad-guy archetypes go...but for me, in a romance, that's always a good thing.

The joy of reading a romance, for me, is watching the way the love unfolds, not watching people clash swords and such.

Definitely a 10-rating for me. Tons of sex, but that's not necessarily bad.

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) Just reread it again and I still love it. Ms Lindsey's style is easy for me to read. Not too much extra stuff to get through to get to the story. I've always been a bit of a fan of the captive/captor theme and this one does work for me. That doesn't mean I agreed with everything that happened. Warrick was a hard man but he had to be. Rowena bothered me at times. She was too forgiving and compliant. I give it 5 stars for my enjoyment but the BR rating for me was about a 8.

message 7: by Jennefer (new)

Wow! Jen and Pamela, you two are already done?!? I haven't' even had a chance to go pick up my copy from the library yet!!! LOL

I will be getting to this one in a week or two. I have enjoyed (but not loved) everything I have read by Johanna Lindsey so I am looking forward to this one. Should be a nice entertaining read :)

message 8: by Lorelle (last edited Jan 06, 2011 03:47PM) (new)

Lorelle | 25 comments I just reread the book and I enjoyed it more the second time. It reminded me of how much I used to love her books when I was a teenager.

message 9: by Loudice (new)

Loudice (yoys) | 6 comments Read the book a couple of years ago and I LOVED IT!

message 10: by ibNell (new)

ibNell | 1 comments A little ways into it – realized I’d read it years ago – but was to into it to stop. Good Book.

message 11: by Dottiebears (new)

Dottiebears | 6 comments I read this last month or maybe it was in November after seeing it discussed on one of the Amazon boards, so I guess I don't have to reread it quite so quickly.

I like this book, but Lindsey is an easy read for me also. The beginning part was a bit, um, odd, but it did turn out to be one of the those books I didn't put down until I finished it. Rowena was a bit too much of a doormat for me in parts of the book. She seemed to swing back and forth between being assertive and then compliant.

message 12: by Tara (new)

Tara | 21 comments This is one of Lindsey's better novels and one I've re-read a few times over the years. It is a nice smooth read with some angst thrown in but nothing too over the top.
I liked both Rowena and Warrick...they had chemistry. And it was a true BR as as far as I'm concerned (think of when Warrick abducted her and what happened afterwards) maybe just not a complicated one.

♥ Miss Jennifer ♥  (jennrenee) | 5 comments This was the first Bodice Ripper/Johanna Lindsey i ever read!! Absolutely loved it! Cant wait to read it again!! :)

message 14: by Karla (new)

Karla | 1668 comments Mod
I just found my PDF of it, so I'll be starting it soon.

Wendy,  Lady Evelyn Quince (ladyevelynquince) | 242 comments I have such fond memories of this one...reading it during 9th grade Earth Science labs and not paying attention to my work. One of the last good Lindsey books.

message 16: by Karla (new)

Hah! even as an adult I'm doing that - sneaking my ereader into staff meeting and sitting in the back with it shielding with a pad and idly scribbling so it looks like I'm taking notes/paying attention. :D

message 17: by Karla (last edited Jan 17, 2011 04:36AM) (new)

I'm liking this one far more than A Gentle Feuding. It's a goofy medieval with beds and chains and forced breeding. I mean, what's NOT to love? LOL

And I've realized that I read it years ago (Rowena's botched wedding night with the old lord was the bell that rang it all for me), and the bed chains are familiar too, but as to what came after that...I have no idea.

message 18: by Karla (new)

You mean you need MORE??? :P How about, she's already pregnant and she's chained to the bed and he's doing the same to her that she did to him when he was at her mercy? (That's as far as I've gotten.)

message 19: by Toni (new)

Toni | 10 comments This was definitely crack lit for me. Some of Lindsey's novels are just like that, where they are so bad, but you keep turning those pages.

What was interesting was that I thought I would like the role reversal more, but I didn't really start liking the story until he took her captive.

This bothered me, and so I thought and thought. Was it because I have a twisted martyr/rape fetish??? Yes, but no. I discovered it was in the writing. Lindsey wrote Rowena so uncomfortable and "innocent" when she was raping Warrick that it was really blah. It wasn't until he was raping her that the passion and romance began the kindle.

Interesting and I wonder if the author or the readers would handle a true heroine rapist?

The serving scenes were great. The subjugation, humiliation, and even the chains. I enjoyed it as I haven't enjoyed a Lindsey novel in quite a while.

message 20: by Karla (new)

I finished it this weekend and thought it was OK. Much better than A Gentle Feuding, and I enjoyed the role reversal - although I'll agree with you, Antoinette, that Rowena's super-innocence made that scene draaaaaaaaag! Yeah, I thought it was pretty blah as well.

The main problem I had with it was later on, though, when all of Rowena's knowledge about Warrick comes from Mildred. Rowena barely learns anything herself. She has to hear everything from everybody else. And the romance between her mother Anne and Warrick's buddy Sheldon, AND Warrick's daughter Emma pairing up with Sheldon's son.... Well...all I can say is Blah. >:P I hate that cutesy secondary romance stuff.

"YOU get a sweetheart! And YOU get a sweetheart! EVERYBODY gets a sweetheart!"

message 21: by Jennefer (new)

Never did get to this one, oh well.

message 22: by Evelyn (new)

Evelyn Fletcher (speederina) | 131 comments Jeanine ♥ Cheshire Catt ♠ wrote: "Karla (Mossy Love Grotto) wrote: "You mean you need MORE??? :P How about, she's already pregnant and she's chained to the bed and he's doing the same to her that she did to him when he was at her..."

If you like captive role reversals, you might like this one.
Captive of My Desires (Malory Family, #8) by Johanna Lindsey
And for medieval BR's, this one.
Fire Song (Medieval Song, #2) by Catherine Coulter

message 23: by Evelyn (new)

Evelyn Fletcher (speederina) | 131 comments Jeanine ♥ Cheshire Catt ♠ wrote: "LOL - both of those authors I somewhat despise. :) I might give Coulter another try but I am just done with Lindsey."

I'm curious, why do you hate Lindsey?

message 24: by Evelyn (new)

Evelyn Fletcher (speederina) | 131 comments Jeanine ♥ Cheshire Catt ♠ wrote: "Evelyn wrote: "I'm curious, why do you hate Lindsey?"

I liked her one book Silver Angel - but after reading a few others I just found her style very - blah! Not very many historic d..."

Yeah, I would tend to agree with you there. That is pretty much the whole plot of most of her books. And they are a little too tame, for BRs
at least.