Stephen King Fans discussion

Michael Crichton
This topic is about Michael Crichton
Other Books (Non-King) > Michael Crichton

Comments Showing 1-50 of 66 (66 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) We've been talking about his books a lot in the Worst King Book thread, so I figured we should actually make a thread and discuss Crichton in a more appropriate place. ;)

Discuss away!

message 2: by Jc11king (new)

Jc11king | 103 comments As a kid, I loved (and I still do) the Jurassic Park trilogy.

Thus, I want to read Jurassic Park and The Lost World so bad.

Pirates Latitude seems nice also

message 3: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) I have read Jurassic Park, and I really enjoyed it. I haven't read The Lost World though...

message 4: by Gatorman (new)

Gatorman | 561 comments The Lost World is good but not as good as Jurassic Park.

message 5: by Dustin (new)

Dustin I've heard that Pirates Latitude is Crichton at his best...is that the general consensus?

message 6: by Gatorman (new)

Gatorman | 561 comments Dustin wrote: "I've heard that Pirates Latitude is Crichton at his best...is that the general consensus?"

I've actually heard the opposite, that it is basically a rough draft of a novel he never got to clean up before his death and was rushed out to print before it was ready. I have not read it as I was not happy with his last few novels that were finished by him. I will probably read it eventually.

message 7: by Christine (new)

Christine (christine007) | 28 comments Dustin wrote: "I've heard that Pirates Latitude is Crichton at his best...is that the general consensus?"

In my opinion while it was great to have one more thing published after his death it was not his best work. Fun, maybe a little but I was not that big a fan.

message 8: by Steven (new)

Steven Belanger | 53 comments Christine and Gatorman are right. The plot was fleshed out, and some mustache-twirling bad guys (typical Crichton cardboard characters) were laid out, but it was clearly skeletal and bare bones. He seemed to get the plot down, then flesh out his characters as he went. Anyway, clearly it was just his publishing company cutting its losses and cashing in. I don't blame them, necessarily, as they'd probably already paid him upfront, and this was the best this work was going to get. They owned it, basically.

And, yeah, Lost World does not compare to Jurassic Park, which is probably the pinnacle of its type.

message 9: by Dustin (new)

Dustin Dustin wrote: "I've heard that Pirates Latitude is Crichton at his best...is that the general consensus?"

Thank you, guys (I appreciate your input!)

message 10: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 609 comments The only Crichton I've read is Timeline, and that was pretty good I thought. That was a few years ago though. I'd like to give some of his other stuff a try maybe one of these days. I've always liked the movie of Jurassic Park :)

message 11: by Dustin (new)

Dustin Hi, Kit!

Timeline is great, IMO. You should definitely try some of Crichton's other stuff.

message 12: by Scott (new)

Scott | 401 comments The only one of his that I read was Congo. I liked it. The movie really sucked though.

message 13: by Gatorman (new)

Gatorman | 561 comments The earlier Michael Crichton books are excellent, up through State of Fear. After that, the quality started to go downhill, IMO.

message 14: by Dustin (new)

Dustin State of Fear is a wonderful read!

message 15: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 609 comments Lol it's been years since I watched Congo, but I liked it when I was a kid. My book buying season is coming up, so I'll keep an eye out for some of his work.

message 16: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) I have a bunch of books of his that I'm selling if you're interested Kit... (I'm trying to raise and save money for a move.)

Here's the ones I have and their condition:

Timeline by Michael Crichton - Very Good
Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton - Good
Rising Sun by Michael Crichton - Good/Very Good
Next by Michael Crichton - Very Good
The Terminal Man by Michael Crichton - Very Good
State of Fear by Michael Crichton - Like New
Sphere by Michael Crichton - Good/Very Good

PM me if you're interested. :)

/advertisement

message 17: by Misty (new)

Misty | 29 comments I loved Jurassic Park, but The Lost World really annoyed me. It just felt like a total sell out to Hollywood - like he wrote the book to be a movie sequel. I enjoyed Disclosure and Sphere as well.

message 18: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 609 comments Becky wrote: "I have a bunch of books of his that I'm selling if you're interested Kit... (I'm trying to raise and save money for a move.)

Here's the ones I have and their condition:

Timeline by Michael Crich..."

Man that's a lot! I'd love to snag 'em up, 'specially all in a big chunk like that, but sadly I'm unemployed and living off the charity of my family at the moment, much to their not-so-happiness lol. Thanks for the offer though :)

message 19: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Orr Although the characterisations are pretty poor at times, I have thoroughly enjoyed the 6 or 7 Crichton books I've read. Airframe and Prey have been my favourites.

message 20: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 219 comments He was the first adult author that I picked up.

message 21: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 219 comments Also I think he writes his books like a screenplays, even though most of them have been turned into movies.

message 22: by Nick (new)

Nick Crichton was my favorite science fiction writer out there. Jurassic Park and Timeline are just fantastic, and Sphere is also really good.

I've read mostly all his books and they're all at least good but I was disappointed with The Lost World. Also, they should not have released Pirate Latitudes, it had the makings of a great novel but it was definitely not a finished work.

message 23: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Stephen wrote: "Although the characterisations are pretty poor at times, I have thoroughly enjoyed the 6 or 7 Crichton books I've read. Airframe and Prey have been my favourites."

I have not read anything by Crichton (I know shame on me) but I am about to start Prey on audiobook. Is this one of his better novels? Is this one a part of a series?

message 24: by Gatorman (new)

Gatorman | 561 comments It's not part of a series. I've read most of Crichton's books and thought Prey was just ok. His earler books are better than his later ones. Try Jurassic Park or Sphere for a great read.

message 25: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Thanks Gatorman

message 26: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 69 comments I liked The Lost World. Sometimes cheesy sequels are really fun!

message 27: by Dustin (new)

Dustin Hi, Tracy!

Most of Chrichton's work are fairly well done. I particularly enjoyed Rising Sun, State of Fear, Jurassic Park, and Congo..

message 28: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Thanks Dustin!

I have read Congo (recently) and I may try one of your other suggestions.

message 29: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (ashnphx) | 22 comments State of Fear by Michael Crichton I loved this book so much I have it in paperback, ebook and audiobook. Fantastic.

message 30: by Dustin (new)

Dustin Yes, State of Fear is one of my favorite Chrichton novels, Ashley!

And you are welcome, Tracy.:) What did you think of Congo?

message 31: by Tracy (new)

Tracy It was very interesting, Dustin.

message 32: by Staci (new)

Staci Johnson | 102 comments Stephen wrote: "Although the characterisations are pretty poor at times, I have thoroughly enjoyed the 6 or 7 Crichton books I've read. Airframe and Prey have been my favourites."

I really liked Airframe; he was very technical writer. I found that I would read Chrichton novels only when I had the time commitment for a thorough read/comprehension. It's always been worth the time.
I've read most of his books except Eaters of the Dead and Next.

message 33: by Dustin (new)

Dustin Tracy wrote: "It was very interesting, Dustin."

Yes, I thought so, too!

message 34: by Joey (new)

Joey | 9 comments Pirate Latitudes should have never left the shelves. The book was found in his desk and was not ready to be published and it shows!

message 35: by Dustin (new)

Dustin I've heard mixed-reviews on Pirate Latitudes, actually.. I'd read it simply because it's his last..

message 36: by Adriane (new)

Adriane (zombiepan) Crichton used to be my favorite author, till I found King, Jurassic Park is my all time favorite, but Sphere, Prey, and State of Fear were pretty good too. Wasn't a fan of Next or Airframe though.

message 37: by Felina (new)

Felina I've read Jurassic Park and Sphere and thought they were excellent. Timeline was a snoozefest that I gave up on and I thought Next was pretty lame. With Timeline and Next the science was amazing but the story lines were unimpressive.

message 38: by Gatorman (new)

Gatorman | 561 comments I really liked Timeline and Airframe. Next and Prey, not so hot. Jurassic Park and Sphere are the best.

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

I have both jurassic park books sitting on my kindle waiting to be read.

message 40: by Nick (new)

Nick I really liked Jurassic Park but wasn't so thrilled about his Lost World.

@Felina: Some books you just have to stick with, and they become worth it. For Timeline, i did not have any trouble reading it, and I liked it so much I've read it again.

message 41: by Megan (new)

Megan  (trixiekitten) | 25 comments Jc11king wrote: "As a kid, I loved (and I still do) the Jurassic Park trilogy.

Thus, I want to read Jurassic Park and The Lost World so bad.

Pirates Latitude seems nice also"

I tried to read the first Jurassic Park a year or so after the movie came out, but at that age I couldn't get into it. Deffinately going to try again!

message 42: by Dustin (new)

Dustin Jurassic Park is definitely a good read, IMO!

message 43: by Gatorman (new)

Gatorman | 561 comments Dustin wrote: "Jurassic Park is definitely a good read, IMO!"

Agreed.

message 44: by Gatorman (new)

Gatorman | 561 comments My favorite Crichton is Sphere by Michael Crichton

message 45: by Gatorman (new)

Gatorman | 561 comments Kyle wrote: "Read it. Awesome book. I didn't like the movie as much."

The movie sucked big-time. Prey was ok. I prefer his earlier stuff.

message 46: by Bondama (new)

Bondama (kerensa) | 868 comments Kit* - please, please do me a huge favor: there is a book called "The Doomsday Book" by Connie Willis - it was published about 3 yrs before "Timeline" (and, incidentally, won the Hugo and the Nebula for the year it was published.

It presents a far, far more accurate picture of the time that Michael Crichton wrote about in "Timeline" The mechanisms for going back into the past are different, but Willis goes into a much, much more interesting and thorough picture (For one thing, the woman who goes back to the Dark Ages has to have some nerves in her nose deadened because believe me, the Middle Ages STUNK - big time. No pretty flower blossoms as Crichton describes. The people never, ever bathed (they believed it was sinful and vain to do so.)

You will never forget this book - it's what turned my college studies to Medieval History.

message 47: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 609 comments Great, thanks! I will definitely check it out. The whole stinky-ness factor is something I tend not to think about in my daydreams of going back in time lol, I guess it probably would've been pretty nasty back then huh?

message 48: by Bondama (new)

Bondama (kerensa) | 868 comments Apparently, it was absolutely awful!!! I know, I used to daydream ALL the time about traveling to the Middle Ages, but my dreams were DEFINITELY not founded on the reality of the times!

Along with being a much more factual book than "Timeline", "The Doomsday Book" is a much more exciting one!

message 49: by Bondama (new)

Bondama (kerensa) | 868 comments Kit* --Doomsday Book by Connie Willis

message 50: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 609 comments Added it to my want-list, thanks for the rec, it does look very interesting. :)

« previous 1