Books on the Nightstand discussion

2011 Book Challenges

Comments Showing 1-50 of 58 (58 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Lil (new)

Lil | 216 comments I thought I'd start a thread to see what book challenges people may be cooking up for the new year.

My challenge is to read 20 books from my own shelves!

message 2: by [deleted user] (last edited Dec 27, 2010 08:16AM) (new)

I signed up for three challenges, all with the intent of using titles I have on hand to fulfill them! The first two I listed, I'm very confident of completing; but the third challenge that I listed was just for the fun of setting up the map. I plan on recording the settings of the titles I read, but am not going to be knocking myself out to find a book for a state if I don't already own it. The idea is for me to make a dent in my TBR stacks and TBL queues!

What's in a Name Challenge #4:
http://dogearedcopy.blogspot.com/2010...

The South Asian Challenge:
http://dogearedcopy.blogspot.com/2010...

The Where are you Reading? Challenge:
http://dogearedcopy.blogspot.com/sear...

message 3: by Ann (new)

Ann (akingman) | 2097 comments Mod
We'll have a BOTNS Retreat Author Challenge, as soon as we announce the authors -- read one book from each author over the course of the year (granted, some authors will have only one book). More details to come.

message 4: by Gerald (new)

Gerald Miller | 821 comments My challenge is very simple for 2011.Keep track of my books.Read a book a month.Visit a bookstore at least once a month.I just visited one of my areas malls new Barnes and Noble which is for me a fantasy land but I would like to visit smaller bookstores also.Ger

message 5: by Gerald (new)

Gerald Miller | 821 comments Oh a couple of more for me.Actually read the book blogs that I have bookmarked and of course,continue to listen to Books on the Nightstand! Ger

message 6: by Lori (new)

Lori (lorioz) I'm doing the war and peace on facebook 'challenge' (and am really looking forward to it.

I'm totally interested in some more challenges, I left all of my books in Turkey when I moved to Belgium so I don't have a To Be Read pile, nor do I want one! I'll be reading my way through my library, but would love a challenge to make it more interesting than my plan to start at A and make my way through.

Any suggestions?

message 7: by Eric (new)

Eric | 1175 comments Mod
Much of my reading is already a challenge, if by challenge you mean reading outside your comfort zone. Or reading books intended to improve your mind rather than to entertain. I'm always up for a challenge in that sense, as opposed to the "read three authors beginning with the letter Q" sense.

message 8: by Lil (new)

Lil | 216 comments Tanya, thanks for those links. I'm definitely going to sign up for at least one.

Gerald, I'd say your resolutions around books sound pretty comprehensive...good luck.

Eric, for me, I mean challenge only in the sense of getting myself to do something worthwhile (read the great books already on my shelves) that doesn't come easy to me.

message 9: by Ann (new)

Gerald wrote: "My challenge is very simple for 2011.Keep track of my books.Read a book a month.Visit a bookstore at least once a month.I just visited one of my areas malls new Barnes and Noble which is for me a f..."

Love this. Achievable and rewarding in itself.

message 10: by Callie (new)

Callie (calliekl) | 646 comments Ann wrote: "We'll have a BOTNS Retreat Author Challenge, as soon as we announce the authors -- read one book from each author over the course of the year (granted, some authors will have only one book). More d..."

This will be my first reading challenge! Sounds like fun!

message 11: by [deleted user] (last edited Dec 28, 2010 06:34AM) (new)

I'll definitely be doing the retreat challenge!

Others I'm challenging myself to this year:

What's in a Name 4 Challenge: http://bibliosue.blogspot.com/2010/12...
Back to the Classics Challenge: http://bibliosue.blogspot.com/2010/12...
2011 TBR Pile Challenge: http://bibliosue.blogspot.com/2010/12...

message 12: by Amy (new)

Amy | 463 comments OMG - I "challenged" myself to count the books in my TBR file under then bed (not enough bookshelves!) and I have 72! Holy cow, it will take at least 2 years to get through those, and that is without the 2 book groups I'm in and school. Oh yeah, and the other 200 books in my To Read shelf here on Goodreads. Wow - reality check. My challenge should be to reduce the number of books I buy this year (because I just can't go cold turkey).

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Amy wrote: "OMG - I "challenged" myself to count the books in my TBR file under then bed (not enough bookshelves!) and I have 72! Holy cow, it will take at least 2 years to get through those, and that is witho..."

Don't feel bad Amy, my to-read pile was 201 as of early December (not much change since then with the adds and ones I've now read) -- I am a bookaholic.

message 14: by Helen (new)

Helen Dunn (hmonkeyruns) | 110 comments I've also signed up for the War & Peace read-along so that's technially my first challenge.

Now that I hear about the Retreat Author's challenge I'll be doing that one too. (And hints on when we'll start to hear about the authors?)

I'd like to read more books in 2011 than in 2010 -- so that means my goal is 46 books. (I'm at 44 complete now but should be at 45 by years end.) Ideally, I'd like to hit 52 for the year.

message 15: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (pinkrain718) | 33 comments I made up my own challenge although it seems to follow along one suggested. My goal is to read the first 25 books listed on my Goodreads TBR list. The list continues to grow and I always seem to ignore the earliest books I added! I also plan on taking part in the BOTNS Retreat Author Challenge and I can't wait to hear what authors are participating!

message 16: by Helen (new)

Helen Dunn (hmonkeyruns) | 110 comments I actually just printed out the BOTNS "best books" lists from 2008 and 2009 and 2010. I've read quite a few from each list but I think I'm going to try to read the ones I've missed in 2011.

That's a nice little project.

message 17: by Shona (new)

Shona (anovelobsession) | 178 comments My 2011 challenge is to read off my BOTNs recommendations shelf from goodreads. Ann and Michael have increased my TBR pile by over a hundred books, so I need to make a dent in that, so my primary reading will be from their recommendations. I will also be reading War and Peace as part of the Facebook challenge and of course the Retreat Author Challenge sounds fun - since I won't be able to be there I'm going to try that one as well.
First thing up for 2011 - The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay

message 18: by Linda (new)

Linda | 2842 comments Mod
I'm going to try to make a dent in some of the books I own, have not read and get them out of the house to the library book sale. Meaning read books I own and have not read. I'm not sure how many to commit. I'm sure I could find a bunch of easy-to-get-through mysteries around here.

I, too, am taking part in the War & Peace, and the book retreat challenges.

Anecdote: For the last library book sale, I came across a very old book of poetry. One of the poets was named Warren Pease. I tucked that name away to use in a story I'll write.

message 19: by Michael (new)

Michael (mkindness) | 537 comments Mod
Warren Pease. That's awesome!

message 20: by Eric (new)

Eric | 1175 comments Mod
I think Finnegan's Wake and Infinite Jest are beckoning to me.

Finnegans Wake by James Joyce Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace

message 21: by Lil (new)

Lil | 216 comments I have had Infinite Jest on my shelves for years and have been hoping that someone I knew would read it and tell me it is worth it! Maybe I'll work on it later in the year when I have more than one hand free to read.

Progress so far...I started Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid by Bill Bryson to fulfill both my personal challenge of 20 books off my own shelves and the What's in a name challenge. This might be a book that I didn't finish if there wasn't a challenge.

message 22: by Shannon (last edited Jan 01, 2011 09:57AM) (new)

Shannon Wells | 13 comments I'm going to join the +11 book challenge.... in 2010 I read 20 books LESS than I did in 2009.... I read more blogs and magazines, etc in 2010 (thanks to my Kindle, I am sure), but this year I want to get back to reading more of my books. Especially since my "To Be Read" pile just keeps growing and growing! I have 257 books on my Kindle Wish List alone! And almost 250 books on my TBR list here on Goodreads. So, my goal is to read at least 52 books this year -- that works out to 1 book a week exactly! And that should be easy for me to reach (if I can just stay focused on my books and stay off the blogs and magazines!!!!).

message 23: by Brandon (new)

Brandon (brandonsears) I read about 35 books in 2010. I'd like to increase that in 2011 to about 50 books. Can I do it? Only time will tell.

Also, I'd like to read more biographies or non-fiction in general.

message 24: by Eve (new)

Eve (eveariel) | 13 comments I seem to have dual resolutions this year ... as a knitter and as a reader ... both involve stash. This year I'm primarily going to be knitting from my yarn stash so it follows that I should also primarily read from my book stash ... and continue the stream of donations to the library. We are scheduled to move in June (courtesy of the USCG) ... no idea of where to yet or what size a place ... so there is added motivation for reading/knitting as much as possible before that chaos descends ...

message 25: by Katie (last edited Jan 01, 2011 12:27PM) (new)

Katie | 91 comments I too am committed to clearing out my shelves by giving away books to our local public library, reading more books from my shelves and buying fewer new ones this year. I also have a backlog of Kindle books to read. I'd like to mix-up my reading with more genres, including more non-fiction. So, I am starting the New Year off with something close to home: A Crack in the Edge of the World by Simon Winchester about the SF earthquake of 1906 that I found in one of the many boxes of unsorted books in my home office.

message 26: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 279 comments I am also committed to reading more from my shelves and buying fewer books this year. I will begin with reading the new translation of War and Peace. I read the previous translation in high school and loved every word. I am also looking forward to reading the new translation of The Canterbury Tales that I received for Christmas.

message 27: by Katie (new)

Katie | 91 comments Melissa wrote: "I am also committed to reading more from my shelves and buying fewer books this year. I will begin with reading the new translation of War and Peace. I read the previous translation in high school ..."
Hi Melissa,
I'd love to know which Canterbury Tales you received. Can you post it using the "add book/author" feature that is above the comment box? When you find the edition, you can either have just the title put in, or the book cover. It's very useful! That way it links in your comment to the particular editions of books you mention. Thanks!
I assume you mean the Pevear translation of War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy ? I'm planning to read that in Feb. with BOTNS discussion. For Jan. I'll also be reading The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay along with Michael's discussion. I found a copy on my bookshelf yesterday!

message 28: by Linda (new)

I started "War and Peace" tonight since it's on the dashboard of my computer. It has 365 chapters so I will read one chapter a day!

message 29: by Lil (new)

Lil | 216 comments Just finished Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid by Bill Bryson which is 1/20 of my own shelf challenge and 1/6 in the What's in a name challenge! I'm glad I stuck with this book. It's often really funny and a sweet look back at growing up in the 50's. Ann, if you read this, I thought this would be a great book for your mother in law to read to your father in law on their car trips!

message 30: by Ann (new)

Lil, you're right! I don't think I ever did give them Life of Times of the Thunderbolt Kid, but it would be perfect! Thanks :)

message 31: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (missmel821) | 8 comments Lil wrote: "I thought I'd start a thread to see what book challenges people may be cooking up for the new year.

My challenge is to read 20 books from my own shelves!"

That is a great challenge. I have a ton of books that I own that I haven't read yet!

message 32: by Kim (new)

Kim (catmommie) I've also said a minimum of 25 books from my stash of books, with a total of 36 for the year. I've bumped up usual two books/month to three to do this.

I've signed up for the extra +11 in '11, and participate in various challenges in three groups on GR. I prefer making monthly lists instead of yearly lists, not so overwhelming.

message 33: by Alexia (last edited Jan 06, 2011 06:51AM) (new)

Alexia (crittersmom) | 29 comments My challenge for myself is to read only books on my nightstand (BOMNs), either physical books or books on my eReader, or currently on hold at the library/eLibrary. I also won't count any books I have to read for my book club.

Having said that, I will give myself permission to purchase new books, and will most likely break my promise if I find a book I really, really want to read. In theory I have enough books to last the year but we'll see.

EDIT: I also decided to join the +11 in 11 challenge via Goodreads. GR says I read 15 books (I think I read more, if you include audiobooks, but I was bad about updating GR last year) so I am going to do 26. Very doable.

message 34: by Kristen (new)

Kristen (kjsmulvihill) | 17 comments I'm going to continue my pace and do the "+11" challenge, but each of the 11 books must come from a different genre or subgenre that I have never read before.

I'm ashamed to admit I've never read a biography of a president, so I'm going to start there this month. Colonel Roosevelt

And in February, I want to try out steampunk. Any suggestions for a first-time read?

message 35: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 06, 2011 09:57AM) (new)

Kjsmulvihill wrote: "And in February, I want to try out steampunk. Any suggestions for a first-time read? "

I just bought Boneshaker (by Cherie Priest)which is being touted as the hot steampunk novel and there's a sequel Dreadnought, that came out recently as well. I bought it because I too am curious and want to try some genre-busting; but I probably won't get to it until later this year.

message 36: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 279 comments Last year, I challenged myself to read 50 books. I counted audio books, and books I read for work. I managed to read 52, but I found myself steering clear of "big" books over 500 pages. This year, I will keep track of my books, but I will count pages rather than books. I wish Goodreads had a function for this. My main resolution is to read the books in my TBR pile before buying more.

message 37: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (tracemick) | 217 comments Melissa wrote: "Last year, I challenged myself to read 50 books. I counted audio books, and books I read for work. I managed to read 52, but I found myself steering clear of "big" books over 500 pages. This year, ..."

Hi Melissa,

If you look on the left side, under your shelves, there's a link that says "stats". It'll give you the number of books by year and you can also change it to number of pages by year. It's not in the most convenient place. :)

Tracey

message 38: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 279 comments Tracey wrote: "Melissa wrote: "Last year, I challenged myself to read 50 books. I counted audio books, and books I read for work. I managed to read 52, but I found myself steering clear of "big" books over 500 pa..."

Thanks!

message 39: by Jenn (new)

Jenn E. I joined the +11 challenge but I also want to concentrate more on balancing my reading between the books I own and library books. In the past, I've mostly stuck with library books and my own books are piling up!

message 40: by Dianne (new)

Dianne | 91 comments My challenge is to read 24 books and War and Peace War and Peace (Vintage Classics) by Leo Tolstoy . This does not count the numerous books I read aloud to my three children. I am currently reading Mr. Popper's Penquins to my youngest.

message 41: by Karen (new)

Karen (karenf) | 66 comments Oh my gosh, I remember Mr. Popper's Penguins! That's great. I love re-reading my favorite childhood books to my kids now that they are getting a little older.

message 42: by Linda (new)

Despite the fact that my son is 21, I still read, enjoy and count children's books in my reading life. In fact, I just re-read The Five Chinese Brothers (Paperstar) by Claire Huchet Bishop The Five Chinese Brothers which I had to request through inter-library loan. Still good after all these years.

message 43: by Libby (last edited Jan 08, 2011 09:33AM) (new)

Libby (libbyw) | 131 comments I have 28 books/books on tape that I've read this year. Thanks to Tracey for your tip on the stats tab. I may have missed a few so I'm going to aim for 40 books in 2011. Gee, if we add 12 in 2012 we'll all be reading frantically.

message 44: by Lisa R. (new)

Lisa R. | 43 comments Well, I've joined two book clubs, one with friends and one at work. It looks as though I will be reading at least 24 books this year. I also listen to audio books and will be able to add them to my tally. Can't wait to see what my final total will be for this year!

message 45: by Djdee (new)

Djdee | 14 comments My challenge is to find more reading time.I already listen to audiobooks while I knit and at the gym.I read every night before I go to bed.We do not watch much tv now but I plan to read 1/2 an hour more through the week and one hour more on weekends.Will shedule them in my day planner like an appointment.I sometimes feel guilty just sitting and reading when there are chores to do!!!Silly!

message 46: by Priscilla (new)

Priscilla | 3 comments I am new to challenges but just joined two on goodreads. 2011 reading Challenge Set yourself a reading goal for 2011. I have chosen to read 33 books this year. www.goodreads.com/challenges/2-2011-r...

And the second one is the CLUE board game challenge www.goodreads.com/topic/show/410712-c...

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

Priscilla wrote: "I am new to challenges but just joined two on goodreads. 2011 reading Challenge Set yourself a reading goal for 2011. I have chosen to read 33 books this year. www.goodreads.com/challenges/2-2011-r..."

Oh, man! That Clue Challenge sounds like great fun! Unfortunately, I'm already pretty booked up with challenges now or I would sign up. Maybe next year...

message 48: by Karma (new)

Karma (karmaknits) | 1 comments I think my challenge this year will be to read 11 books that I should have read by now. These will either be books that have been on my bookshelf for over a year or books that I probably should have read either in high school or college - i.e. Grapes of Wrath, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxay, etc. I'll have to remember to label these as 2011 Challenge in my Goodreads list.

message 49: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tracy_r) | 4 comments My challenge is to read 4 classics I have never read. I have already started Brothers Karamazov, but I am looking for 3 others, I know that Don Quixote may be one of them as well.

message 50: by Esther (new)

Esther (eshchory) I have challenged myself to read a book a week, which means I won't be reading Clarissa, or the History of a Young Lady this year.

I have also challenged myself to read through my Agatha Christie collection in chronological order of publication. As I have about 70 I don't wish to be overwhelmed so I am aiming for 1-2 per month.
Most of my collection consists of disentegrating 1960-70s paperbacks so I have promised myself to throw away and relplace all those that fall apart as I read them.

« previous 1