Book Buying Addicts Anonymous discussion

General > Nook

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 510 comments I was given a Nook for Christmas gift. I was never against e-readers, but its not something that I don't think I would've ever purchased for myself. At first I felt like some sort of traitor, but now I realize that I won't neglect my written book collection, but can only increase the amount of books I read. Does anyone have any cool tips or advice for a new owner?

message 2: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 510 comments Oh, can kindle books be converted somehow so they can be read on a Nook? I googled this question and came acroos yes and no answers. Has anyone actually done this?

message 3: by Dee (last edited Dec 27, 2010 06:33AM) (new)

Dee (austhokie) not legally they can't...both the kindle and the nook use different DRM schemes (digital rights management), as well as formats. If they don't have the DRM, then there are programs you can get which will convert files, but you have to strip to the DRM (you can do this, but I never have)

I have a kindle, so i'm not completely in the loop on the Nook - but check daily for free books...I know someone over on Amazon posts a list daily for us - and I think a lot of the same ones are available on Nook...not everyones cup of tea - a lot recently have been christian fiction

message 4: by Teawench (new)

Teawench I now have a nook, too. But I've been collecting free books from different places for months, especially after I found out nook supports PDFs.

On the B&N website they have a blog, Unbound, and every Friday they post at least one free book you can get.

message 5: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 510 comments Delicious Dee Challenge Addict wrote: "not legally they can't...both the kindle and the nook use different DRM schemes (digital rights management), as well as formats. If they don't have the DRM, then there are programs you can get whi..."

Thanks! From some of the info I found, I was wondering if it was illegal or not. Like downloading music or something. But checking daily for free books is something I can do as regular as brushing my teeth, LOL!

message 6: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) i don't know if there is a website or not for nook, but I signed up for kindleiq.com - and twice a day it checks for freebies and sends you an email...the trick with freebies is to jump on them as soon as possible...sometimes they'll only be free for a couple of hours, other times for a couple of weeks

message 7: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 510 comments Teawench wrote: "I now have a nook, too. But I've been collecting free books from different places for months, especially after I found out nook supports PDFs.

On the B&N website they have a blog, Unbound, and eve..."

Thanks Teawench. I have some PDF books too, I think. Now I'll definitely get more.

message 8: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 510 comments Just downloaded some more free books. I can't believe they're just free. It's too good to be true!