Terminalcoffee discussion

Helping You To Know The News > East Coast Blizzard of Dec.2010

Comments Showing 1-50 of 55 (55 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Michele (new)

Michele bookloverforever (lovebooks14) | 1970 comments Well, how did you do over the recent blizzard? We did better than expected. Here in Merrimack, NH we got (so far) 13". windy: 30 mph. some gusts. have not lost power yet (8:42 AM). Had to shovel twice: once at 9 PM on the 26th and again at 6 AM the 27th. Roads not too bad. still snowing steadily . still windy.

message 2: by Brittomart (new)

Brittomart I'm in Eastern NC and we got about 8 inches

message 3: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) 8 inches is as good (bad?) as 2 feet in eastern NC. Right?

message 4: by Brittomart (new)

Brittomart Right.

message 5: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments 50 mph wind acted like a giant snow blower and sent all of our snow somewhere else. Winds are still howling but the roads are clear in Baltimore.

message 6: by Arminius (new)

Arminius In my area of PA we received only around an inch. The sun is out but the wind is in the 40mph range.

message 7: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17346 comments Mod
Is this the same storm that started in California, moved across Utah and Arizona, whalloped Indiana and Chicago and is now over NYC? Wow.

message 8: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) No.

message 9: by Sally, la reina (new)

That would be a big, unnatural storm.

message 10: by Michele (new)

Michele bookloverforever (lovebooks14) | 1970 comments this storm did start on the west coast but then dipped south hitting Alabama, Georgia and moving up the east coast in a northerly direction. It has now moved out to the canadian maritimes. still windy here which means the snow from across the street blows into our driveway so we end up shoveling, shoveling and more shoveling of their snow. Points south of Merrimack and points east (along the coast) got hit a lot harder. Wind expected to persist today and tomorrow. Temp about 28 but expected to drop 10+ points later. wind about 30mph. wind chill city here.

message 11: by Sally, la reina (new)

So I WAS right!

message 12: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) You're right in that it's the movement of the jet stream from West to East that caused it. But the storm went up the east coast in the classic pattern of a Nor'easter.

message 13: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11694 comments ::sniffs curiously::

Do I smell a pedant in here?

Yea, a kindred spirit (or should the spirit be in the ghost thread)!

message 14: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Why, I never.

message 15: by Sally, la reina (new)

::gently pokes pedant::

Does it wiggle?

message 16: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Is there a Pedantal School?

message 17: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments What happens if you put a pedant on a pedestal?

message 18: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Oh I thought we were talking about pendants.

message 19: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11694 comments Larry wrote: "Why, I never."

Really? Not even that once in Poughkeepsie?

message 20: by Sally, la reina (new)

Depends.

message 21: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) We were talking about depends?

message 22: by Sally, la reina (new)

Don't be pedantic. ::prods purposefully::

potsticker?

message 23: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I love potstickers.

message 24: by Michele (new)

Michele bookloverforever (lovebooks14) | 1970 comments well, lets just say the plows did not exactly scrape the pavement bare and there is still a lot of snow on the roads and ice under the snow. I will drive very slowly to the library today praying the whole way. Also, it is still a little windy but the snow is not swirling as badly. More snow blew into the driveway overnight but it is only a dusting.

message 25: by Sally, la reina (new)

Let us do say that. I take side roads on days like this. Be safe, lurking friend!

message 26: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments Geez, I didn't know the East had a blizzard until today. Take a couple days away from electronics and you miss alot. I may have to give up my reading every thread too, there are a lot of messages to plow through.

message 27: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I'm still not convinced the east coast went through a blizzard. They might just be kind of wussies.

message 28: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I think it was just like moon landings -- all staged.

message 29: by Brittomart (new)

Brittomart Hi, Jim.

Well, we got more snow than the blizzard we had 10 years ago.

message 30: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments Hey Britt!

message 31: by Sally, la reina (new)

Message 27: like! like! LIKE! LIKE!

message 32: by Sally, la reina (new)

I'm stealing it.

message 33: by Sally, la reina (new)

*runs to facebook*

message 34: by Brittomart (new)

Brittomart We are here for you, Bun!

My dad is a truck driver, and he parks the truck in the yard. He was going to leave on a route yesterday, but the truck was stuck in the snow, it couldn't get out. So the company sent a wreck truck today to come get the truck out of the snow.

Well, the wreck truck gets here, and it backs straight into the ditch.

message 35: by Sally, la reina (new)

I love Bun.

message 36: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments BunWat wrote: "I'm trapped at my mother's house for four more days people!! TRAPPED, with my MOTHER!! Its the worst blizzard in history!!!!!"

Oh no!

Can anyone who was on the East coast last year compare this storm to the ones that Baltimore got last year? I have to admit since we got so little I'm having trouble imaging what everyone else got.

I keep hearing Massachusetts politicians say "What's the big deal? This is just winter."

message 37: by Michele (new)

Michele bookloverforever (lovebooks14) | 1970 comments Bet those Massachusetts politicians don't live in Scituate!

message 38: by Jammies (new)

Jammies Oh, poor Bun! *rallies the Saint Bernards*

message 39: by Carol (new)

Carol | 1679 comments We didn't get ANY snow from this event, boo. We need a fresh dusting to make it pretty again.

message 40: by Sally, la reina (new)

Snow in the forecast for me on Thursday, followed by very cold temperatures.
What is coming after that, that upsets me, is the freezing cold. I don't mind the snow, but I hate the cold worse.

message 41: by Jammies (new)

Jammies Ugh, no snow in my forecast, just clouds and freezing rain.

message 42: by Janice (new)

Janice (jamasc) Jammies wrote: "Ugh, no snow in my forecast, just clouds and freezing rain."

I'd rather have snow than freezing rain.

message 43: by ms.petra (new)

ms.petra (mspetra) Sally wrote: "Snow in the forecast for me on Thursday, followed by very cold temperatures.
What is coming after that, that upsets me, is the freezing cold. I don't mind the snow, but I hate the cold worse."

me too, Sallers! I am not looking forward to the next two days!

message 44: by Jammies (new)

Jammies Janice wrote: "Jammies wrote: "Ugh, no snow in my forecast, just clouds and freezing rain."

I'd rather have snow than freezing rain."

Me too. :sad zombie:

message 45: by [ A ] (new)

[ A ] We got approx. 19" here in good ol' Peabody, MA. Winds were pretty crazy. We've been through a lot worse though, this was just a fairly large storm with strong winds.

message 46: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11694 comments Snow in the desert.

message 47: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments The dog does not look impressed.

message 48: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I don't think I ever saw that much snow in Washington, Utah. Cedar City, maybe.

message 49: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I saw on the news today that rapper 50 Cent is offering to shovel his neighbors' Connecticut driveways for 100 bucks.

http://specials.msn.com/A-List/Entert...

message 50: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11694 comments Barb wrote: "Wow Phil. That must have been exciting for the kid."

We spent some serious father/son time tossing snowballs at each other. Good thing his snow stuff still fit.

« previous 1