Between the Lines discussion

Classical Fiction & Authors > A Farewell to Arms by Ernest Hemingway

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I finished reading this about a week ago for the second time. It had been about 20 years since I read it last.

I just love Ernest Hemingway. He seems like such a tough man, but he is very sensitive and in a way a romatic.

Great story which takes place during World War I, in Italy. This is a sad story which tugs the heart strings especially in the end. A romance takes place between an American in the Italian Army, Fredric Henry and an English medical aid, Catherine Barkley.

At times I laughed at times I cried. Very moving book by a very talented writer.

I don't want to give too many spoilers but I would recommend reading this book as it is wonderful!

message 2: by Apokripos (new)

Apokripos (apokalypse) Totally with you Emilee...
I like most of all in this book is the inimitable Hemingway prose style...
I think this were Hemingway truly is in his finest...of course with the exception of The Old Man and the Sea which is a master piece of all proportion...

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Jzhunagev: I too agree with youabout The Old Man and the Sea. I have read that book so many times and will probably read it more & more!

I just love how Hemingway writes. he is utterly brillant.

message 4: by Vicky (new)

Vicky | 62 comments I read this book about thirty years ago and still remeber a lot of details, it's that good. I highly recommend it.

message 5: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (sanddune)
What can I add that hasn't already been said? His are the books one always remembers.Fantastic writer.