Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

Urban Fantasy > Small Town Contemporary Settings

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ruby (new)

Ruby (rubita) | 22 comments I'm looking for the rural equivalent of Urban Fantasy. I've read the Sookie Stackhouse books and Sunshine by Robin McKinley. Any other suggestions?

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) (ter05) | 608 comments Shiver/Linger. I assume you have heard of Twilight. LOL And I have no idea what Urban Fantasy actually is and every explanation I have had is confusing, so I will just assume "contemporary urban small town" story with fantasy!

message 3: by Mairead (new)

Mairead | 164 comments Morganville Vampires, maybe.
Beautiful Creatures.
Wicked Lovely, in a sense.

message 4: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 2659 comments Mod
Like a Charm is set in a small town in TX. This sort of intersects with the Browyn the Witch series Charmed & Dangerous is the first of that series.

Then, there is A Date with the Other Side which is only sort of PNR.

For small towns, a lot of those seem to be more in the "light and fluffy" style of PNR books.

message 5: by new_user (new)

new_user | 1389 comments Ilona Andrews' Edge series, starting with On the Edge. It takes place in the real world but an imaginary, rural small town.

Also, Stormwalker takes place in Magellan, AZ, very small town.

message 6: by Nairabell (new)

Nairabell | 193 comments Any of Michele Bardsley's Broken Heart novels (starting with I'm the Vampire, That's Why) or Vicki Lewis Thompson's Hex books (starting with Over Hexed) although these are both PNR :)

message 7: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 2659 comments Mod
Actually Pack Challenge, which is the first of the Magnus Pack books is set in a small town. The next 2 also are mostly in small towns. The Pride books tho--they are mostly "big city" altho in the last one currently out Beast Behaving Badly is partially set in a small town in Maine.

message 8: by Joseph (new)

Joseph  (bluemanticore) | 216 comments I just discovered a new series that has been compared to Sookie Stackhouse. It is the Jane True series by Nicole Peeler and starts with Tempest Rising. It takes place in a small town in Maine.

message 9: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 449 comments Casting Spells by Barbara Bretton is set in a small town in New England. There are two other books in the series.

message 10: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Gleason (skoopatroopaskooperstar) | 1 comments Read Madison Murphy, Wisconsin Weirdo. It's a quick novella, but enjoyable. Centers on Were's.

message 11: by new_user (new)

new_user | 1389 comments Just remembered, Virginia Kantra's Children of the Sea series definitely has that small town feel. First book is Sea Witch.

message 12: by AlbertaJenn (new)

AlbertaJenn The Nice Girls series by Molly Harper are set in a small town.

Nice Girls Don't Have Fangs (Jane Jameson, #1) by Molly Harper Nice Girls Don't Date Dead Men (Jane Jameson, #2) by Molly Harper Nice Girls Don't Live Forever (Jane Jameson, #3) by Molly Harper

message 13: by Megan (new)

Megan Dolle-blaisdell | 13 comments Molly Harper's Naked Werewolf series takes place in Grundy, Alaska.

Christen (GoldiloxReads) | 57 comments Hello! I haven't actually read this series, but Would-Be Witch (A Southern Witch Novel, #1) by Kimberly Frost is set in a small town and has a Southern feel.