~2014 Reading Challenge~ discussion

1st book of 2011

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Missy (new)

Missy (soogie) | 204 comments Mod
what do you plan on reading for your first book of 2011? I am thinking about continuing through the Stephanie Plum series... I have finished Seven Up so maybe I will read Hard Eight (Stephanie Plum, #8) by Janet Evanovich .. I am trying to finish Decision Points by George W. Bush before the end of the year.

message 2: by Lisa S (new)

Lisa S (kasey_k_fan) I'm a mood reader, so I can't really say what I'll pick up next.

message 3: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (sheilaj) I've been wanting to read Darkfever by Karen Marie Moning Darkfever (Fever, #1) by Karen Marie Moning . I'm not really "into" the paranormal genre but this series has been highly recommended to me.

message 4: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (sheilaj) I love the Stephanie Plum series and have read all 16 of them. They are great on audiobook as well.

message 5: by Missy (last edited Dec 26, 2010 09:58AM) (new)

I did get into a "vampire/werewolf" thing for awhile but I keep going back to it. I am really enjoying the vampire break with the Stephanie Plum series.

message 6: by Nyghtmare (new)

Nyghtmare | 7 comments Mine is Diary of Anne Frank

message 7: by I'm Sandra Dee (last edited Jan 03, 2011 06:28PM) (new)

I'm Sandra Dee (imsandradee) | 12 comments Hello Missy,

I'm Sandra Dee, My first read for 2011 will be from my Covered with Cupcakes challenge - The Year I Turned Sixteen Rose, Daisy, Laurel, Lily by Diane Schwemm - I plan to bake and frost one dozen delicious cupcakes when I finish reading the book. I would love to invite the group over to enjoy a cupcake.

message 8: by Missy (new)

Sandra, what gave you the idea for the cupcake challenge? I would have never dreamed up something like that and I had absolutely no idea that there are that many books with cupcakes on the cover.

message 9: by Jen (new)

Jen | 39 comments Hi my name is Jen. I am a very avid reader and am very excited to join this challenge! The first book I plan to start reading this January is "I am Number Four" by Pittacus Lore. I also got EIGHT other books for Christmas so I have tons of reading to do. Happy reading everybody!

message 10: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (sheilaj) I've changed my first book choice to Safe Haven by Nicholas Sparks. I love his books and have been in a long queue at the library for his new book. Since it is new they only give you 1 week to read it so that is what I'm doing first. So far it doesen't disappoint.

I am vision impaired so I always request large print or audio. The LP version is about 530 pages but it is going fast. I may get it read today during football.

Happy New Year Everyone. Let the Challenge begin!!

Safe Haven by Nicholas Sparks

message 11: by Lisa S (new)

Lisa S (kasey_k_fan) My first book is Red by Erica Spindler Red by Erica Spindler

message 12: by Lisa S (new)

Lisa S (kasey_k_fan) I changed mine also. I'm gonna read The Bride Collector instead. The Bride Collector by Ted Dekker

message 13: by Seresa (new)

Seresa (pardoteach) | 29 comments Book #1 for 2011 is Remember When Remember When (In Death, #17.5) by Nora Roberts

message 14: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (sheilaj) ummm an In Death book that doesn't have in death in the title? I've been working my way through these books and just read the 5th in the series. I enjoy this series a whole lot but Peabody is my favorite character.

message 15: by Jen (new)

Jen | 39 comments My first book is "The Maze Runner".

message 16: by Tamra (new)

Tamra Samantha's first book is I Want a Pony (Pony Pals, #1) by Jeanne Betancourt A little easy for her but she found it on the book shelf and had never read this one.

message 17: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (sheilaj) I just finished my first book of the new year

Safe Haven by Nicholas Sparks 1. Safe Haven by Nicholas Sparks Done 1/1/11

This book was a little darker than the previous Nicholas Sparks books I have read dealing with spousal abuse and stalking.

message 18: by Kaitie (last edited Jan 02, 2011 01:20PM) (new)

Kaitie (katdjz) My first book with be "Escape! The Story of the Great Houdini". I'm excited to see that some of you love the Stephanie Plum series. I've read all of them up to the most recent and love them to death. Definitely one of my favorite series.

message 19: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (sheilaj) Hey Katie if they made the Stephanie Plum books into a movie who do you think should play the parts?

Stephanie
Ranger
Morelli
Grandma Mazur?

message 20: by Kaitie (last edited Jan 02, 2011 01:23PM) (new)

Kaitie (katdjz) I've thought about it before and I really couldn't come up with people for Stephanie or Morelli. I think I'd like them to be actors that aren't big name people. For Ranger, I'm not sure. Maybe Jay Hernandez or someone like that, but he'd have to seem tougher than he usually does. And for Grandma Mazur, I always picture Elaine Stritch. Who would you cast?

And they are making a movie, did you know? (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1598828/) I am not happy with the casting for the most part, so I'm conflicted on whether I'll see it. I probably will.

message 21: by Judyp (new)

Judyp | 3 comments Seresa wrote: "Book #1 for 2011 is Remember WhenRemember When (In Death, #17.5) by Nora Roberts"

good book! the entire series is winderfu judy

message 22: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Jones | 8 comments Just finished my first book of the year! Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, #3) by Suzanne Collins

message 23: by Missy (new)

Ashley, Brooke is reading that that book now she just started Hunger Games yesterday and she is addicted!

message 24: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (sheilaj) I read all 3 of them in 2010 and Hunger Games was my favorite of the three. I felt it was a really good series.

message 25: by Tamra (new)

Tamra Tamra wrote: "Samantha's first book is I Want a Pony (Pony Pals, #1) by Jeanne Betancourt A little easy for her but she found it on the book shelf and had never read this one."

Well, Samantha found it too easy and decided to read Forest of Secrets (Warriors, #3) by Erin Hunter instead.

message 26: by Brandy (new)

Brandy | 20 comments Bed of Roses by Nora Roberts... Can't wait!!

message 27: by Beth (new)

Beth Knight (zazaknittycat) | 67 comments I just finished my first book for 2011 and it was The Cookbook Collector by Allegra Goodman.

message 28: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (sheilaj) how was that book Beth, I've been wanting to read it.

message 29: by Beth (new)

Beth Knight (zazaknittycat) | 67 comments It wasn't as good as I thought it was going to be. I enjoyed the parts involving the books but some of the other parts were boring and kind of slow for me.

message 30: by Carol (new)

Carol (caroljardim) | 1 comments Ashley wrote: "Just finished my first book of the year! Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, #3) by Suzanne Collins"

What did you think of Mockingjay, Ashley??

message 31: by Beth (new)

Beth (charlottesvillebookmom) First book of the year for me was The Secret Holocaust Diaries: The Untold Story of Nonna Bannister. Wonderful but heavy book to bring in the New Year:-)

message 32: by Rhonda (new)

Rhonda Romberg (rhylee17) | 5 comments My first book this year is Halo (Halo, #1) by Alexandra Adornetto on page 100

message 33: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Jones | 8 comments Carol, I liked the book, but I definitely enjoyed the 1st one (hunger games) much more! This one was a little dissapointing to me, but I can't say any more without spoiling it! Have you read it??

message 34: by Seresa (new)

Seresa (pardoteach) | 29 comments Ok . . I finally finished my first book of the year . .my first week back to school and it was a busy busy one with ballgames and then everytime I sat down after I got home I would get one chapter read and then couldn't keep my eyes open . . hahaha My first book was Remember When (In Death, #17.5) by Nora Roberts Good book but was my first experience with JD Robb and my brain had to switch tracks in the middle of this book. I think I'll try a book that is strictly Robb and see if I can enjoy it better.

Now I got my Kindle on Monday and I've downloaded about 75 books sooooo I'm hoping for a snow day on Monday so I can read read read . . .hahaha

message 35: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (sheilaj) oh oh! I see a Kindle addiction happening here Serena.

I think the in death books are a acquired taste. At first I couldn't get into them, but after reading 5 or 6 in order, I really like them. (love Peabody).

message 36: by Dar B (new)

Dar B (ruminatingbulls) | 121 comments Well, I had been ignoring my wifely and mother duties while I went through a reading binge last summer. I quit for the fall semester but I have decided to quit college until at least two of the kids leave home... it's just too distracting. I am one of those perfectionists who only accepts A's, and I cannot handle all of the stress that it brings into the family's lives.
So now, I have the time to read again and cannot decide where to start. I am in the middle of a few series:
- Marion Zimmer Bradley's Avalon series
- Jean Plaidy's Plantagenet saga
- Robert Anton Wilson's Historical Illuminatus Chronicles
But I have lost some interest... or I am just very distracted, or both...
I got George Bush's new book but I have never been able to read a nonfiction all at once. I'm not even interested, right now.
What to do???

message 37: by Missy (new)

I am reading George Bush's book right now and I really like it. I am also reading anther book and I think I am going to try and finish it before I go back to George's book.

message 38: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (sheilaj) I've been reading the Scarpetta series as well Lorraine. I am currently up to date and waiting in line at the library for the brand new one - Port Mortuary. I have been working my way through what I call my "fave five" authors. They are:

1. J.A. Jance
2. Janet Evanovich
3. James Patterson
4. Mary Higgins Clark
5. Nevada Barr

I think among those 5 authors there must be 150 books and all 5 are still actively writing so I never catch up. Patricial Cornwell was in the fave 5 until I read all of hers (except the new one of course).

I highly recommend the above 5 authors for both their series and their stand alone novels.

message 39: by Sheila (last edited Jan 17, 2011 09:45AM) (new)

Sheila (sheilaj) Thanks for the suggestion Lorraine but I think I've beat you to it. I've read all 3 books in that series.

Fear
1. Hunting Fear (2004)
2. Chill of Fear (2005)
3. Sleeping with Fear (2006)

Don't get discouraged, I LOVE recommendations.

message 40: by Judyp (new)

Judyp | 3 comments Sheila wrote: "Thanks for the suggestion Lorraine but I think I've beat you to it. I've read all 3 books in that series.

Fear
1. Hunting Fear (2004)
2. Chill of Fear (2005)
3. Sleeping with Fear (2006)

..."

SHEILA, THERE ARE SEVERAL MORE THAT SHE HAS WRITTEN ABOUT THE FBI UNIT. I JUST LOANED THEM OUT AND CAN NOT REMEMBER THE NAMES. GOOGLE HER OR CHECK E BAY AND YOU WILL FIND MORE IF YOU LIKE THEM! HAPPY READING JUDY P