Read This Next! discussion

Books > Soulless

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Charlie (last edited Jan 02, 2011 09:56AM) (new)

Charlie (bitsyblingbooks) | 28 comments Mod
Here are some questions I come up with as I read chapters 1-3

1. Countess Nadasdy. Is she suppose to represent the infamous Blood Countess, Elizabeth Bathory who married Count Nadasdy. If so, what works about this association with a historical folklore figure. What makes you think this is a 'different' Nadasdy?

2. What do you think about the BUR and its role in social progress?

3. What do you think about government monitoring in order to bring about social tolerance of outlining groups? Is this good or bad?

4. Why hives and clones to describe vampires? What characteristics do they share or not share? Is this fitting or would you choose another insect or animal group to describe them?

message 2: by Bea (new)

Bea  (beasbooknook) Sadly, I don't have my own copy. I read it from the library. I enjoyed it and have requested the next one also.

message 3: by Babs (new)

Babs (babsbookbistro) I will have to try and get it from the library

message 4: by David (new)

David Brown | 8 comments doing the ebook of this one. Just had time to start, and so far really loving the cheeky voice.

message 5: by David (new)

David Brown | 8 comments Through the first two chapters. Well paced so far, easy reading, and likable characters.

message 6: by Babs (new)

Babs (babsbookbistro) UGH my library does not carry it go figure

message 7: by Charlie (new)

I'm trying to figure out how I feel about this book. It has some interesting sub-themes that make for discussion topics--like supernatural taking over the world - vs. humans taking back control ect. I will have to give this some more thought. I haven't yet finished. I'm about 80% done with book.

message 8: by David (new)

David Brown | 8 comments I'm just chugging through to Chapter seven. I have enjoyed it so far. The victorian manners and prudery creates an interesting battlefield for character development and conflict, and allows for something as simple as a kiss to be charged with all sorts of tension. I can't say that I am certain of where the book will take me yet, either. So that is good...

message 9: by Charlie (new)

Here is my book review of Soulless

message 10: by SallyJo (new)

SallyJo | 1 comments Ran by my small, local bookstore hoping they carried it. Success! Looking forward to catching up.

message 11: by David (new)

David Brown | 8 comments Pushed over the middle hump. The romance and era gibberish was getting a little thick for me, but the plot finally came back. Why is it that most novels have this mushy area in the middle? Just a lack of restraint on the author's part?

message 12: by David (new)

David Brown | 8 comments O.K. I think I have decided that I am just not into romance as a genre. I finished Soulless last night. Was anyone else left unsatisfied with the author's attempt to integrate such disparate genres? or is it just me?

message 13: by Charlie (new)

I agree. The romance was ill-timed and a bit strange. Too much rolling around on the floor while life in danger going on. I think it was to stress the animalistic side of behavior, but it got awkward. It doesn't have to be real, but it does have to be believable and I think that was what I had trouble with -- I didn't fully give in to believing.

message 14: by David (new)

David Brown | 8 comments Glad to know it wasn't just me. Other than those couple of scenes I found the read enjoyable. But I didn't notice myself being challenged into any sort of reflection during the read or after. Overall, I fell un-impacted by it.