Girls Night In discussion

The FIRST ROUND August 20-Dec. 20

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Diana (new)

Diana (goodreadscomdiana_moeck) | 13 comments Here is what the first round would look like:

1. Bgale - 8.20
2. Brandi - 9.20
3. Cheryl - 10.20
4. Claudia - 11.20
5. Dawn - 12.20

If one or more of the persons above does not respond to this, we will move onto the next person.

Remember: if it is a busy month, already read the book, don't feel like reading the book - You can skip!

I would post the next 5 "pickers" on 11.21.08

Let me know what you guys think.

message 2: by Stacey (new)

Stacey | 5 comments I can't wait to see what the next book is....

message 3: by Diana (new)

Diana (goodreadscomdiana_moeck) | 13 comments Me too!

Ladies in the first round, please pick your books. If you want to opt out of this round, we can put you on the bottom of the rotation and replace you with the next person in line. The good thing about knowing our next books is that we can borrow from someone, search and buy used or check out from the library in time for the read.

message 4: by Barbara (new)

Barbara | 1 comments My pick for books is 'Belong to Me' by Marisa de los Santos. I already read it and enjoyed it and think it would be a good read for most. It is on the GoodReads list for top books of 2008 and is on many people's 'to read' list. Amazon is selling it for $16.47 ($25 at the big stores). Enjoy! Bgale.

message 5: by Rose (new)

Rose (wwwgoodreadscomrose) | 8 comments This was on my "to-read" list and I do own the book, so good choice.
Note: This is the sequel to "Love Walks In" which is available in paperback. I think you can read "Belong to Me" without having read "Love Walks In," but wanted to let the group know so that you could read the first book first if you want to.
Here is an excerpt from a reviewer comment on Amazon: "I definitely would have read them in order and most assuredly would already have had a connection with the main character Cornelia Brown. It sounds to me that Love Walked In was a good book and introduced the reader not only to Cornelia but to her "almost" daughter Clare and to her "definitely" gorgeous husband Teo. There's a lot to be said for reading books in order and I think this is a perfect example." Another reviewer comments that "Belong to Me" is a standalone book not necessary to have read the first book. So, your choice.

message 6: by Claudia (new)

Claudia | 7 comments wow, I missed a lot! lol

The book I recommend is Me & Emma by Elizabeth Flock. I read this book about 1 year ago and would give it 3.75 stars. The book itself isn't very long and is a quick read cover to cover.

Question: Am I supposed to wait to pick my book?? until Nov? if so I might have another book in mind...I haven't started it yet though...

message 7: by Claudia (new)

Claudia | 7 comments Has anyone read The Kindness of Strangers? I want to start this book, I heard it is a little heavy so maybe Ill recommend this one instead...

message 8: by Joannah (new)

Joannah | 13 comments Haven't read either of those books Claudia but why not 4 stars for "Me & Emma"? haha.

I would like to read "Love Walks In" before "Belong to Me" since they go together so I'll be getting both books. I'm only a couple chapters away from finishing "Ten Year Nap" so hopefully I can finish both books before the ending date of 9.20.

message 9: by Joannah (new)

Joannah | 13 comments I just finished Love Walked In and I really loved it! I'm starting 'Belong to Me' today and can't wait to read more about Cornelia. ;) Anyone else started the book?

message 10: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 25 comments Mod
I read 'Belong to Me' without reading 'Love Walked In' before that. It makes sense to read 'Love Walked In' first but you definitely dont need to - there was no confusion in just reading 'Belong to Me'.

message 11: by Liz (new)

Liz Heit | 12 comments I don't know how everyone has so much time to read!!! I finally got my hands on my first fall fashion magazine this year, time is just flying on by. Still working on my beach read, since being at the beach does NOT mean reading to me with a kid in surf camp and a kid eating sand. ha. I'd love to try both books, and will pop in when/ if I do.

message 12: by Rose (new)

Rose (wwwgoodreadscomrose) | 8 comments Just finished "Love Walked In" and I liked it too. I read this first, before "Belong to Me" because just in case I really liked the second book, I wanted to be able to read the first one without knowing how it all ended. I'm glad I did.

message 13: by Rose (new)

Rose (wwwgoodreadscomrose) | 8 comments I liked Love Walked In a bit better than Belong To Me. Maybe because the author's style was new to me in the first book. You can read each in a few hours.
How do we do this? Are we not supposed to post our thoughts on Belong to Me before Sept 20?

message 14: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 25 comments Mod
Let's definitely wait until 9/20 to discuss so that everyone (or most) are finished!

message 15: by Liz (new)

Liz Heit | 12 comments I got Belong to me!! that's the book, right?? I was confused if we were supposed to read LWI before, but I just went with it. Can't wait to begin!

message 16: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 11 comments When do I need to pick my book by?

message 17: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 11 comments Is anyone opposed to starting the Twilight Series or have most read that? I know it's a "young-adults" book, but a very addictive series!

message 18: by Diana (new)

Diana (goodreadscomdiana_moeck) | 13 comments The new book club read started on the 20th. So now - You have until the next month on the 19th to finish if you would like to discuss and rate with others.

In regards to the Twilight series. It looks like many people have this on their list of "TO READ" and "already READ" - When it is your turn to pick the next book, then go ahead and take a look at everyone's picks and see where they stand with the book, many may have already read a few in the series so it may be tough having everyone on the same page. (Then again, no one has to read the book if they choose not to.)

Please Read the beginning posts of the book club to understand the procedure of how this club picks. Thanks!

message 19: by Nicole (last edited Sep 23, 2008 04:53PM) (new)

Nicole | 25 comments Mod
Dead Until Dark is the next pick for Sept 20th - Oct 20th. If you would rather read Twilight, then do so - no one has to read the book club's picks but to be organized, we are allowing ONE person to do the picking each month. If you would like to suggeset a book like Twilight, then please wait until it is your turn to pick a book for the club.
On another note, Liz had a GREAT idea: The current 'chooser' should also come up with some discussion questions to encourage better/more in depth conversations about the books we are reading - both during reading and when we are finished. Discussion questions can probably be googled.... haha. Great idea Liz - we are almost organized enough for this to actually work...
Cheryl, you are the next book chooser for Oct. 20th... let us know what you decide to choose!

message 20: by Diana (new)

Diana (goodreadscomdiana_moeck) | 13 comments Yes, Nicole's post is to follow. As discussed and agreed on in our "Picking" procedure, the next book to read is DEAD UNTIL DARK chosen by Brandi.

Dawn, we all take turns, in alphabetical order, on picking books. We felt that this was only fair. I will let you know when it is your turn to pick a book. Next is Cheryl and she will choose the book for October 20- Nov 20th.

RE: An outline and questions. Great to have this, but since everyone has a different pace in reading, can we pull this off?

message 21: by Diana (new)

Diana (goodreadscomdiana_moeck) | 13 comments PS - Dawn, if you scroll up to the top of this conversation, you will see that you pick on 12.20 unless the two girls before you PASS. I will keep you posted.

message 22: by Joannah (new)

Joannah | 13 comments I like the idea of having the person who picked the book post some outline and questions for the book discussion on the date that we are to be finished with it. If you choose to participate you can, if not, no biggie. Let's try it! I'll harrass Brandi to come up with some book club discussion questions for 'Dead Until Dark' and have them posted by the finish date which is 10/20. It gives us more to think about and will be interesting to hear how other's viewed the book rather than just saying "good book" or "didn't like it".

message 23: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 11 comments I think that is a great idea to have the questions posted on the 20th when the book is to be finished and we can chat about what our thoughts were on the book.

Sorry, I didn't mean to make everyone think I picked the book early and out-of-turn. I just am thinking of ideas for when my turn is and had asked about that book. I'm rather new to this and I tend to be a bit OCD worrying about being unprepared! ;o)

message 24: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl Goldberg | 3 comments Ok, hang in there everyone, I will post my pick in a week.