Books I Loathed discussion

Loathed Titles > House of Leaves

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dorothy (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:36PM) (new)

Dorothy | 3 comments This book sounded so cool. I have a weakness for creepy house stories, I loved The Haunting of Hill House and Hell House. That's what I was hoping for with this book. I couldn't have been more wrong. The house that is bigger on the inside than the outside is almost an afterthought. This book was drowned in a sea of postmodern parlor tricks that took me out of the story to think irritatedly, boy this guy thinks he's smart. Now don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of some rather postmodern authors, Jeff Vandermeer, Catherynne M. Valente, and K.J. Bishop are all excellent...but guess what? They write beautiful compelling stories and with the exception of Vandermeer (hey, at least squid are interesting) none of them resort to gimicks to make their stories seem more "real". Oh and call me old-fashioned but I had a hard time identifing with the drug addict or caring what the Navidson Record did to his already abused brain. Gag. No one word per page sentences are not tension-buiding, neither are lists of architectural sites intruiging...you know what is though? Good writing, let's stick to that. Thanks.

message 2: by Stephanie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:36PM) (new)

Stephanie | 4 comments I actually liked it, and the strange way he wrote it-backward pages, spirals, one sentence pages, separate story in the footnotes-only added to the creepiness of the whole thing for me. I went into it not expecting to like it but it honestly creeped me out the entire time I was reading it. I think that's what kept me coming back for more. Now don't get me wrong, it might very well be one of the strangest books I'll ever read but I liked it.

message 3: by Xysea (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:37PM) (new)

Xysea  (Xysea) House of Leaves was one of the few books I actually threw away. And I'm an unabashed book recycler. It not only gave me the creeps, and not in a good way, it gave me a headache to read it.

And I do like horror, suspense etc.

message 4: by Michael (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:37PM) (new)

Michael For me, the most enjoyable parts of HOL were the concepts - the delving into the unfathomable dark - and not so much the stylistic elements. I can totally see how people would be turned off by Danielewski's overly-affected way of writing.

And yet I still want a copy with the pictures pasted in ...

message 5: by MM (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:38PM) (new)

MM (localwest) | 5 comments I've been wondering when this book would come up.

I completely loathed it. I'm generally not a harsh critic but I detested this book. Yeah, it was "different" but when you are trying that hard to be clever it usually comes off as pompous nonsense - and this is one of those occasions.

Does anyone else remember that fear mantra? Laughable, right?