~Opinions~ discussion

Statistics > Fastest growing religions/Number of people in religions

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emma (new)

Emma (zeeberg) Now, many religions claim to be the fastest growing religion in the world. Truth is, it's hard to make a precise statistic when it comes to number of religious people. However, according to the statistics that have been made, the numbers are these:

Fastest growing - Slowest growing

Zoroastrianism : 2.65%
Baha'i Faith : 2.28%
Islam : 2.13%
Sikhism : 1.87%
Christianity : 1.36%
Hinduism : 1.9%
Buddhism : 1.09%
Taoism : 1.00%
Judaism : 0.91%
Jainism : 0.87%
Confucianism : 0.73%
Shinto : -1.09%

For more information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claims_t...

Biggest - Smallest
(In millions)

Christianity : 2,000-2,200
Islam : 1,570 -1,650
Hinduism : 828–1,000
Buddhism : 400–1,500
Folk religions : 600?
Chinese folk religions (including Taoism and Confucianism) : 400?
Shinto : 27–65
Sikhism : 24–28
Judaism : 14–18
Bahá'í Faith : 7.6–7.9

For more information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_re...

message 2: by Amina (new)

Amina  (journalistam) No offense, but I think this is just lies. I saw somewhere (reliable source) that Islam is the fastest growing relegion... in the west. Ok, so it might be different with "west" incuded, donno.

message 3: by Emma (new)

Emma (zeeberg) Why would your information be more reliable than mine Amina? According to this, Islam is the third-fastest, and the two above it aren't really big religions, so it's safe to assume that they probably weren't in the statistics you saw.

The good thing about Wikipedia is that it's updated all the time, so it's more reliable than most places.

but you're welcome to post you reliable source.

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 244 comments Amina wrote: "No offense, but I think this is just lies. I saw somewhere (reliable source) that Islam is the fastest growing relegion... in the west. Ok, so it might be different with "west" incuded, donno."

The first article discusses how it is difficult to determine what the fastest growing religion is because different sources use different definitions for "fastest growing".

message 5: by Amina (new)

Amina  (journalistam) It says christianity in the second list..

message 6: by Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (last edited Dec 25, 2010 07:09AM) (new)

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 244 comments Emma (Merry Fucking Christmas) wrote: "Why would your information be more reliable than mine Amina? According to this, Islam is the third-fastest, and the two above it aren't really big religions, so it's safe to assume that they probab..."

Is it possible that one source is using percentage of growth while the other is using numbers?

message 7: by Amina (new)

Amina  (journalistam) Yeah, mine was fastest growing random

message 8: by Emma (last edited Dec 25, 2010 07:15AM) (new)

Emma (zeeberg) It says christianity in the second list..

Because, in numbers, Christianity is the fastest growing religion.

Is it possible that one source is using percentage of growth while the other is using numbers?

Of course it is. I used percentage on this very page, and according to them Islam is the third-fastest, and the two other are very small religions.

But Christianity is so much bigger than Islam, of course it grows faster in numbers. People are born into Christianity, and with more Christian families, more Christians will be.

If we just take the old Islam vs. Christianity here:

By percantage, Islam is growing faster than Christianity.
In numbers, Christianity is growing faster than Islam.

It's logical that the biggest group grows faster, even if the smaller has a higher growth-percentage.

message 9: by Andrez (new)

Andrez (andrez-ssi) I don't like that article very much because there is not just THE Christianity, there are many religions who believe in Jesus (catholics, protestants, anglicans, and lots more) and there's probably more of the others too, so i think that article should be more specific

message 10: by Amina (new)

Amina  (journalistam) Islam and Christianity are equal in"biggest relegions", I think. Of course, no proof, since I'm just going accorindg to what I see.

message 11: by Andrez (new)

Andrez (andrez-ssi) you live in an islamic country though, so most (or all?) people you know there are muslims. Since I live in a Catholic country, most people I know are Catholics, and I don't know any non-Christian people

hmm Iguess its safer if we don't go with what each of us sees

message 12: by Emma (new)

Emma (zeeberg) You can go with what I see. I live in Denmark, and I know people of just about every "kind". Muslims, buddhists, Jews, Hindus, Christians, Atheists and folk religions. Also, it's such a small country. We're pretty globalized now a days, and we have to know what goes on the the world, or we'll never make it.

And from what I see, those statistics are pretty correct.

message 13: by Annemarie (new)

Annemarie Carlson (annielawlz) | 470 comments This isn't really surprising. I think that Emma's sources are probably accurate, its not like she would post it if they weren't and yeah... Interesting.

message 14: by Amina (new)

Amina  (journalistam) I'm not saying she deliberatly posted something incorrect. Juts saying it seems weird to me. But I see what you're saying about % and numbers.