Q&A with Stephen Goldin discussion

Polly!--a satirical romance (of sorts)

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Goldin (stephengoldin) | 57 comments Mod
I’m excited and proud to announce the reissue of my recently expanded satirical novel, Polly!. In one sense, it’s a simple boy-meets-girl story—except, of course, it isn’t.

Herodotus Shapiro has had an unbelievably bad week. His wife left him. The IRS is after him for thousands of dollars. His home/bookstore burned down. On his way to take refuge at his brother's place, he got a speeding ticket. And now his car has broken down in the middle of the desert in front of a large mansion. What more can go wrong?

But now his world takes a turn for the weird. The mansion has a snowman on the front lawn--in the desert, in July. The house, which is bigger on the inside than on the outside, is owned by Polly, the most preternaturally beautiful young woman he's ever met. Polly is an acrobat, a gourmet chef, a psychologist, an international financial consultant, a physicist and a woman of who-knows how many other incredible talents. She has an unbelievable library, an art collection of all the world's great masterpieces, and a print of a previously unknown Marx Brothers film. Her toilet paper is actually silk.

And she seems to have some mysterious plans for him....

One GoodReds member has called the book “blasphemous ... highly offensive.” Several others, have given it 5-star ratings. Hugo and Nebula Award-winning author Spider Robinson has said this:

All hands on Decalogue! A protagonist readers will find it easy to identify and empathize with, a classic journey story told with wit, wisdom and deceptive ease, and the most interesting guest star ever--what's not to like, here? Perhaps writers who attempt a book like Polly! wanna crack or two across the face for their audacity (to parrot conventional wisdom)--but not if they can manage to pull it off this entertainingly.

So ... ya pays yer money and ya takes yer choice.

The book is available in both paperback and multiple ebook formats. There’s a special holiday weekend deal on the ebook version. Buy the book from the Smashwords page and enter coupon code AV74C (not case-sensitive) and you’ll get it at half price. But hurry; the coupon expires Sunday, Dec. 26. Whichever edition you prefer, I hope you’ll give the book a try.

Happy holidays, and pleasant reading!

Kelly H. (Maybedog) (maybedog) Now you tell me! I'm reading it now. Breaking in my new Nook!

message 3: by Stephen (new)

Kelly wrote: "Now you tell me! I'm reading it now. Breaking in my new Nook!"

Well, I hope you find it an enjoyable piece of Nookie.

message 4: by Stephen (new)

My book Polly! by Stephen Goldin is featured today on the Quackers & Tease blog...sorta appropriate, since Polly is one of the biggest teases around. The blog has a blurb and an excerpt from the book.

The site's running a contest: a free ebook copy of Polly! to the best commenter. Check it out.

message 5: by Stephen (new)

My birthday is still a couple of days away, but I've already gotten a present--a fantastic review of Polly! by Stephen Goldin from Bill & Davilynn Furlow's blog, Great Books Under $5.

The review's final paragraph went straight to my head: "Polly is the kind of book aspiring writers should read just to study the craft. Goldin’s writing is fastidious. And he seemingly has the gift (Would that be a theological term?) of calling on everything he knows from the silly to the profound to create a story that starts out being entertaining and winds up being interesting, even thought-provoking."

I'm hoping such a complimentary review will tempt more people into meeting Polly for themselves.

message 6: by Stephen (new)

And here's yet another great review Polly! just got, this one from Flying With Red Haircrow. Check it out.

message 7: by Stephen (new)

Polly! just got a great review from Frida Fantastic, who says, "Polly! is a quirky contemporary fantasy with a hopeful message... The story is comparable to the Frank Capra film It’s a Wonderful Life, but it speaks to non-religious skeptics and has a weirdness that makes it more interesting." See the complete review here.

message 8: by Stephen (new)

I just put a new cover on the ebook edition of Polly! by Stephen Goldin , (The paperback edition retains the same cover, which I also like). I'd enjoy hearing what people think about it.