100 Books + in 2011! discussion

Book Talk > Top Ten Best Books

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amie (new)

Amie | 75 comments Here is my top 10 list of the books I read in 2010.
They are not listed in any particular order. They were all great! Happy Reading!

The Book Thief - Markus Zusak

Beautiful Malice - Rebecca James

The Shifter Series - Rachel Vincent (1st book is Shift)

Thirteen Reason Why - Jay Asher

The Dark Divine - Bree Despain

The FBI Profiler Series - Lisa Gardner (1st book is The Perfect Husband)

Dark Places - Gilian Flynn

Still Missing - Chevy Stevens

If I Stay - Gayle Forman

Mockingjay - Suzanne Collins

message 2: by Mari (new)

Mari (jinxsantos) Here are the top 10 books I've read in 2010 (in no particular order):

*** John Green and David Levithan - Will Grayson, Will Grayson Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green

This is the first book I've read that tackles the relationship between a straight guy and his gay bestfriend and I LOVED it! Will Grayson (yes, uppercase WG) has firmly lodged himself in my list of book crushes.

*** Laura Buzo - Good Oil Good Oil by Laura Buzo

Age is just a number. But when you're 15 years old and the guy you like is 6 years older, even the idea of being in a relationship with him is doomed from the start. Good Oil is essentially a love story but what shines in this book is the depth of emotion shown by the main characters, Amelia and Chris. The book is told in their POVs and their voices are well-written and so geniune that you can't help but root for them both. The ending may not be ideal for some people but it's honest. Sequel or no sequel, I'll always remain hopeful for Amelia and Chris.

*** Louise Rennison - Georgia Nicholson Series Angus, Thongs and Full-Frontal Snogging (Confessions of Georgia Nicolson, #1) by Louise Rennison

Hands-down the funniest series I have ever read. Georgia's character and the plot subjects (boys, boys, boys!) may be a tad too young for some readers but if you stick with the story you'll find yourself laughing out loud at the characters' antics. I especially lol'd at Georgia's digs at her parents, especially her vati and Georgia's dealings with Libby and Angus.

*** Gary D. Schmidt - Okay For Now Okay for Now by Gary D. Schmidt

Heartbreaking yet inspiring novel about dealing with life's obstacles and celebrating it's triumphs. This book made me cry so much!

*** Conrad Wesselhoeft - Adios, Nirvana Adios, Nirvana by Conrad Wesselhoeft

I always love books that talk about music and this was no exception. I loved all the guitar talk, the performances and the stories that involved musicians like Vedder and Count Basie. But at the core of Adios, Nirvana is Jonathan and how he's able to deal with grief at the loss of his brother/bestfriend Telly.

*** Morgan Matson - Amy & Roger's Epic Detour Amy & Roger's Epic Detour by Morgan Matson

This book In a nutshell: road trip! falling in love... and fab playlists! - what more can you ask for?
A great story about moving on, finding one's self and finding happiness in the most unexpected places.

*** Suzanne Collins - Hunger Games 3: Mockingjay Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, #3) by Suzanne Collins

Mockingjay was intense, haunting, bleak and took no prisoners... amost all the characters were broken to some degree, more so the girl who was on fire. The ending, though bittersweet, couldn't be more fitting. I have to say The Hunger Games is the best series I have read thus far.

*** Melina Marchetta - On the Jellicoe Road On the Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta

This was my first Marchetta novel and it didn't disappoint. On the Jellicoe Road starts out slow and was a bit confusing at the beginning but when it hits it's stride, I couldn't put it down - the story was intense; the mystery engrossing. It's one of those books that's so complex, it becomes very hard to review without giving away anything. The best you can do is recommend it to everyone so they can see for themselves what an awesome book it is.

*** Louis Sachar - Holes Holes by Louis Sachar

Holes has multiple story lines weaved together seamlessly and perfectly. I loved the fairy-tale-like aspect of the story. A book that readers of all ages will enjoy.

*** James Dashner - Maze Runner 2: The Scorch Trials The Scorch Trials (Maze Runner, #2) by James Dashner

This book was non-stop action and suspense. I pity the kids in this series - they either get hit by brutal attacks one after the other or are put through a mental or emotional wringer that would just drain the life out of someone not strong enough. The mystery behind WICKED and Thomas' involvement in everything intensifies. I absolutely cannot wait for the next installment!

RUNNERS UP:

* Melina Marchetta - Saving Francesca Saving Francesca by Melina Marchetta
* John Green - Paper Towns Paper Towns by John Green
* Kristin Cashore - Graceling Graceling (The Seven Kingdoms, #1) by Kristin Cashore
* Neal Shusterman - Unwind Unwind by Neal Shusterman
* Stephanie Perkins - Anna & the French Kiss Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins
* John Van de Ruit - Spud Spud by John van de Ruit
* Sherman Alexie - The Absolute True Diary of a Part-Time Indian The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie
* Wendelin Van Draanen - Flipped Flipped by Wendelin Van Draanen
* Julie Kagawa - The Iron Queen The Iron Queen (Iron Fey, #3) by Julie Kagawa

message 3: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 6 comments My top 10 was...

The Shifter series - Rachel Vincent

Dark Swan series - Richelle Mead

Georgina Kincaid series - Richelle Mead

Black Jewels series - Anne Bishop

Chicagoland Vampires series - Chloe Neill

Guild Hunter series - Nalini Singh

Downside Ghost series - Stacia Kane

Forest of Hands and Teeth series - Carrie Ryan

Perfect Chemistry Series - Simone Elkeles

The Name of the Wind - Patrick Rothfuss

message 4: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 6 comments I can't wait for the next book!

message 5: by Adriana (last edited Dec 31, 2010 07:13PM) (new)

Adriana Still need to get the first book! Ugh.

Top ten books I read in 2010 (No particular order as well)

Skate by Michael Harmon
1) Skate by Michael Harmon
Sweet book about a guy who loves his brother and wants nothing but a normal life for mainly his brother and secondly himself. After his whole life seems like it's going to be ruined he makes it worse and decides to run (skate) away with his brother to find a father who couldn't deal with it all.
Leaving Paradise (Leaving Paradise, #1) by Simone Elkeles
2) Leaving Paradise by Simone Elkeles
Girl and Boy who are outsiders after they go a year later back to school after a car crash. The boy comes back from juvie and the girl after surgeries and re-learning how to walk. Plus a huge secret I did not expect makes it a great read.
Deadline by Chris Crutcher
3)Deadline by Chris Crutcher
Eighteen year old finds out he has a year to live and decides to tell no one. He wants a normal life and wants a chance at being a football player like his younger brother, help the town drunk and go after the girl he idolizes. He also gets obsessed with Malcolm X and wants a street named after him.
Extra info: Two people tell him really big secrets about themselves, his mom is crazy but he's a nice guy about it, and you cry a lot but it's worth it.
How Not to Be Popular by Jennifer Ziegler
4)How Not to be Popular by Jennifer Ziegler
Cover caught my eye while searching for books here. Barnes & Noble let me read 95 pages so I was hooked and had to get it the next day. Her parents are hippies so they move around a lot. She's tired of getting hurt so she decides to avoid making friends. Then everyone wants to be like her and she doesn't know what to do. Also, she's making friends when she isn't supposed to and having feelings for someone she wouldn't normally even be caught seen with (a goody two-shoes).
The Lost Hero (The Heroes of Olympus, #1) by Rick Riordan
5) The Lost Hero by Rick Riordan
It's camp half blood again so it's awesome! Three character narrators throughout which... works. It just got me so excited for the next book and the rest of the series.
Flipped Movie Tie-in Ebook by Wendelin Van Draanen
6) Flipped by Wendelin Van Draanen
Really, really sweet book about first love and seeing someone for who they really are. It's too bad they didn't have the movie near me. I really wanted to see it.
You Don't Know Me by David Klass
7) You Don't Know Me by David Klass
Guy getting beat up by his step father while his mother is oblivious. He seems to be losing it throughout. He's in his head way too much. All in all it's a really good book and he finds that there are people who care about him.
Tangerine by Edward Bloor
8)I remember this book in middle school though I never read it. His (main character) brother is Mr. Perfect but, he still fears him. Only he sees the cruelty in his brother though he never says things he has done and it's killing him inside. By the way he's an outcast. I think the majority of the books for ya are about outcasts.
The Hunger Games Trilogy Boxset by Suzanne Collins
9) Hunger Games Series by Suzanne Collins
I've got to say that the end left me satisfied. All the trials and things she had to deal with and what she ended up with was great. Great series and I loved how it had the whole nature and survival themes in it.
Specials (Uglies, #3) by Scott Westerfeld
10) Specials by Scott Westerfeld
Books about the possible future are always great and of course this one didn't disappoint.

Other great reads:
Maniac Magee
Wringer
Love these books I keep on re-reading them.

message 6: by Adriana (new)

Adriana ♥Rachel♥ wrote: "I loved Thirteen Reasons Why, as well :)"

Agreed!

message 7: by Adriana (last edited Dec 31, 2010 07:08PM) (new)

Adriana Amie wrote: "Here is my top 10 list of the books I read in 2010.
They are not listed in any particular order. They were all great! Happy Reading!

The Book Thief - Markus Zusak

Beautiful Malice - Rebecca Jam..."

Good pick. The Book Thief was amazing except when it was over I was cursing the author for what he did. I've never been so mad at an author before and I still don't think I'm over it.
Mockingjay was great too.

Courtney Cruson | 27 comments 1. Gone With the Wind Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell

2. Battle Royale Battle Royale by Koushun Takami

3. The Great Gatsby The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

4. Angry Housewives Eating Bons Bons Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons by Lorna Landvik

5. The Giver The Giver (The Giver, #1) by Lois Lowry

6. Girl with a Pearl Earring Girl with a Pearl Earring by Tracy Chevalier

7. The Heretic Queen The Heretic Queen by Michelle Moran

8. Moloka'i Moloka'i by Alan Brennert

9. Gemma Doyle Trilogy Gemma Doyle Trilogy List of Gemma Doyle Trilogy Characters, Kartik by Books LLC

10. Lover Eternal Lover Eternal (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #2) by J.R. Ward