~Opinions~ discussion

28 views
Fun > Lol... or not?!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 87 (87 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Amina (new)

Amina  (journalistam) LOL.

So, with the surfacing, networks and online forums, our language has shortened in the past years considerably. You know what I mean by this: "not" has become "nt" and "right" has become "rite" including millions of others. Abbreviations like "lol" "ttyl" and "tc" for various common phrases have taken over the vocaubalary of social networkers, especially the teenagers who are online all day, writing in dozens of different forums by the minute.

Now, what I personally think is this: writing properly, with proper spellings, punctuation and grammar is pretty cool and I respect those who can. When I try though, I end up going back to my routine of shortening and adding abbreviations since I'm usually jumping from discussion to discussion and seriously don't have the time. Words like "cum" instead of "come" though should be avoided so that the wrong meaning isn't taken. However, if you're talking to someone who doesn't mind you saying it, a third party shouldn't mind since they aren't even being spoken too.

Anyway: Grammar Nazi or text talk? What's for you?


message 2: by Emma (new)

Emma (zeeberg) Not the cum thing again! Oh no! :)

I'm a mix. I sprinkle in a bit of everything along the way. I'm tired of "lol" being used in every situation, all the time though.

LOL = Laughing Out Loud

Not: Oh, I said something I can't totally stand by, I better make myself sound nicer by adding a lol.

Not: I have nothing else to say so I just post this randomly.

Not: Omg, how stupid are you? I better laugh at you with this.

Lol is meant for when something IS FUNNY. The rest annoys the living crap outta me.

End of rant.


message 3: by Amina (new)

Amina  (journalistam) LOL. sorry, that really did make me laugh. Anyway, I agree... though I do sometimes use it when I'm being a bit harsh... just to lighten the mood a little.


message 4: by Emma (new)

Emma (zeeberg) Yes, many people do that. I don't think I've done that though. I usually stand by what I say, harsh or not. If I dont, I say sorry.


message 5: by meri (new)

meri (meri_is_a_saltedfish) | 127 comments i use LOL all the time. whenever i heard something funny or just dismissing some crazy idea....


message 6: by Emma (new)

Emma (zeeberg) Ugh. I just genrally don't like the word/phrase "lol". It makes people sound like 12-year old pre-teenage, immature girls trying a little too hard to be cool.


message 7: by meri (new)

meri (meri_is_a_saltedfish) | 127 comments or dismissing ideas i don't want to hear again...changing topics...LOL can be used anytime...though these abbreviations are giving me problems when it comes to writing essays for my english class...but duh.! it's part of language evolution and when language evolves human mind evolves too...it's for better or worse...it's for us to find out...
oh...i hate ranting...ideas are not so organized...


message 8: by Emma (new)

Emma (zeeberg) Exactly: Lol = avoiding the subject at hand. I have no problem with the word when the person who writes it actually thinks something is funny. The rest of the time, it does just sound like a little kid trying to be cool. If a person uses a big amount of lol's I naturally assume that said person is no older than 13.

"lol.... ur so rite.... lol" = "I agree" or "You're right"

"lol.. u sound rly dumb when u say stf like tht. lol." = "You sound very unintelligent when you make such a statement"

"lol seriously? cnt u c tht ur rong? lol ur so immature. lol" = "Why can't you see that you are wrong? This only makes you seem immature"

"lol. cm on lol. u cnt b serious lol? lol i cnt tke people like u serious when u say stf like tht. lol grw up... lol" = "When you learn how to participate in a debate like a mature person, I will be happy to debate with you"

See how these things ruin the meaning completely?


message 9: by meri (new)

meri (meri_is_a_saltedfish) | 127 comments that made me laugh emma...


message 10: by Emma (new)

Emma (zeeberg) I'm happy it amuses you :) - I mean it though.

I should I rather say:

"lol. its kool lol. im serious tho lol."


message 11: by Nate (new)

Nate I had this one person on Twitter that If I didn't put the lol on the end of every post she would ask me if I was in a bad mood.

The bad thing about text is that it can be misinterpeted. I perfer talking for this reason, cus ppl can then hear the inflection in your voice and the tone will let them know if your joking or not.

On a side note.. ummm I'd advise nawt using the cum vs come abrv. LOL


message 12: by Nate (new)

Nate Recent report says complete words are better than text - All I can say is OMG, WTF, ROFLMAO!!!


Maria [the clockwork creeps on useless lives] (mariachhile) | 14 comments Emma (Merry Fucking Christmas) wrote: "Ugh. I just genrally don't like the word/phrase "lol". It makes people sound like 12-year old pre-teenage, immature girls trying a little too hard to be cool."

I am a 12 year old girl, but I wouldn't call myself an 'immature girl trying too hard to be cool.'

Anyway, I am a huge grammar Nazi and I barely ever use text talk except for on skype.


message 14: by Amina (new)

Amina  (journalistam) I only use it when I'm in a hurry.


message 15: by Emma (new)

Emma (zeeberg) I am a 12 year old girl, but I wouldn't call myself an 'immature girl trying too hard to be cool.'

I didn't say you are. I said this is what an overuse of "lol" makes me picture. That is not saying that every 12-year old girl is immature and trying too hard to be cool. It's saying that some 12-year olds are immature and trying to hard to be cool. Which is true.


message 16: by Annemarie (new)

Annemarie Carlson (annielawlz) | 470 comments I think that abbreviation are stupid and are ruining the English language. I see people on actual essays and stuff say "u" for "You,' and it physically makes me cringe.

I wouldn't really consider myself a Grammar Nazi... but I just don't like "lol" and all that stuff.


message 17: by Andrez (new)

Andrez (andrez-ssi) hmmm I only use word abreviations when I'm in a hurry, but I do use LOL, ROFL, LMAO, and some others. I have to agree with nate though- I prefer talking with the person, especially because sarcasm is usually misinterpretated on the web


message 18: by Kylee (new)

Kylee (kyleerae23) I dont mind using stuff like this when I'm texting, even though I usually dont, but when people actually start saying "lol" or "gtg" or "ttyl" it makes me want to strangle them. Period.


message 19: by Annemarie (new)

Annemarie Carlson (annielawlz) | 470 comments Oh, yeah all bets are off when you're texting. But I think that textspeak should be reserved for texting only. I think its easier to make full words on the computer.


message 20: by Andrez (new)

Andrez (andrez-ssi) agreed.


message 21: by Nate (new)

Nate I agree Text talk should be reserved for texting, chatting, or twitter that type of thing.

But people that say 'OMG' out loud should be shot. No questions asked.

I must admit though that if I'm typing really fast (ususally in an effort to get something down before it leaves my head) I am quitly of going back over the doc. and catching things like 'u' instead of 'you'.

*I hang my head in shame.*


message 22: by Andrez (new)

Andrez (andrez-ssi) *pats back*

I guess if it's just because you don't want the idea to leave...


message 23: by Nate (new)

Nate Stray wrote: "*pats back*

I guess if it's just because you don't want the idea to leave..."


You know how it is, you've got the words to flying thru your head and you just can't type fast enough..so yeah Guilty.


message 24: by Andrez (new)

Andrez (andrez-ssi) I know, its so annoying, especially when i can't write or when the idea really goes away


message 25: by Michael (new)

Michael You inadvertently touched on a pet peeve of mine with the phrase, "Grammar Nazi". I think the word "Nazi" would be reserved for exactly what it is and not used as an adjective or in other ways. I think maybe it all started with the "Soup Nazi" on Seinfeld, I don't know, but it's always been something that's bugged me. Anyway, I use some internet shorthand but for the most part it really bugs me to see the language get changed. That's one reason why I don't like Twitter, too.


message 26: by Emma (new)

Emma (zeeberg) "a person who is fanatically dedicated to or seeks to control a specified activity, practice, etc."- Dictionary.com


message 27: by Michael (new)

Michael You forgot the "sometimes offensive" part of the definition and if you're going to play the definition game then it's only fair to include the entire definition. The definition you cite also refers to the lower case spelling which is not the spelling you used in your original question. Capital "N" Nazi carries a lot of weight.


message 28: by Emma (new)

Emma (zeeberg) Geez Michael, does it matter? Of course it's offensive sometimes. Being called a Nazi is rarely a compliment.

And what question might I ask?


message 29: by Michael (new)

Michael The question in your original message: "Anyway: Grammar Nazi or text talk?"

Does what matter? Using an incomplete dictionary definiton or whether the word "Nazi" as an adjective is offensive to some?


message 30: by Emma (new)

Emma (zeeberg) The question in your original message: "Anyway: Grammar Nazi or text talk?"

Except I didn't write that post.

Does what matter? Using an incomplete dictionary definiton or whether the word "Nazi" as an adjective is offensive to some?

Yes. That.
Anyway, if you've got a problem with it, it's very easy to solve. And very simple too. You can jut post it yourself. But fair enough. For those of the people who don't know that nazi can sometimes be taken offensivly:

Sometimes Offensive . ( often lowercase ) a person who is fanatically dedicated to or seeks to control a specified activity, practice, etc.


message 31: by Michael (new)

Michael Emma (Merry Fucking Christmas) wrote: "Anyway, if you've got a problem with it, it's very easy to solve. And very simple too. You can jut post it yourself."

Oh, blah, blah, blah. I said it was a pet peeve of mine and didn't give anyone a hard time for using it so why do you have to make a big deal out of it? Maybe you want to think about changing the name of your group if people actually sharing their opinions is such a problem.


message 32: by Emma (new)

Emma (zeeberg) All I did was post the defination the word nazi, when not meaning a Nationalsozialist, and you made a big deal out of it.

Also, read the description of the group.


message 33: by meri (new)

meri (meri_is_a_saltedfish) | 127 comments chill guys! i don't care about definitions and all that much as long as we understand each other. that's fine with me..


message 34: by Michael (new)

Michael Emma (Merry Fucking Christmas) wrote: "All I did was post the defination the word nazi, when not meaning a Nationalsozialist, and you made a big deal out of it.

Also, read the description of the group."


The group's about discussing, debating and sharing opinions which is pretty much what I did when I shared a pet peeve about the use of the word "Nazi" vs. "nazi". Did I miss something in the group description?


message 35: by Emma (new)

Emma (zeeberg) Nope, but then you'll also know that it's not only about sharing opinions, it's also about discussing and debatting them.

And also, I have said nothing against the Nazi vs. nazi thing. I just posted the meaning of the word nazi, for those who didn't know it. You will notice that I didn't write the post asking the question:

"Grammar Nazi or text talk?"


message 36: by Nate (new)

Nate Wow it's getting hot in here. "LOL"


message 37: by Michael (new)

Michael Can you please show me where I said no one should discuss or debate their opinion? The reason I ask is because I'm trying to make sense out of a conversation I'm coming to believe is irrelevant, and because I'm wondering what I said incorrectly that would make anyone think I didn't know the group's focus.

I do know you didn't write the original message and I mispoke in message #30 when I said you did.


message 38: by Amina (new)

Amina  (journalistam) If it's such a big deal, I could edit it..


message 39: by Emma (new)

Emma (zeeberg) Can you please show me where I said no one should discuss or debate their opinion?

You didn't say it directly. You said this:
Maybe you want to think about changing the name of your group if people actually sharing their opinions is such a problem.

The reason I ask is because I'm trying to make sense out of a conversation

There was never any sense in this in the first place. It's a misunderstanding. I posted the defination of the word "nazi" and you seemed to assume that I was the one who had posted the original message, containing the question with the capital N. My post has nothing to do with you, but was merely posted for the people who didn't know what the word nazi means. Now I didn't write nazi = ..., which I probably should've.


message 40: by meri (new)

meri (meri_is_a_saltedfish) | 127 comments and all of this started with LOL...


message 41: by Nate (new)

Nate Megamarie wrote: "and all of this started with LOL..."

Ironic isn't it? lol


message 42: by Emma (new)

Emma (zeeberg) Oh my god.

*Lip quivers*

What has the world become? Will we ever see the end of lol?


message 43: by Nate (new)

Nate Emma

I think its here to stay...


message 44: by Andrez (new)

Andrez (andrez-ssi) Megamarie wrote: "and all of this started with LOL..."

LOL that's so true! ah the twists life gives...


message 45: by Michael (new)

Michael Amina wrote: "If it's such a big deal, I could edit it.."

It's kind of you to offer but you don't have to edit it on my account.


message 46: by Amina (new)

Amina  (journalistam) on your account.. sorry? whaa?

lol.

no emma. mwah hahahaha, it has taken over the world.


message 47: by Michael (new)

Michael I'll rephrase...

You: If it's such a big deal, I could edit it..
Me: Who cares?


message 48: by Amina (new)

Amina  (journalistam) alright.. coolio.


message 49: by Emma (new)

Emma (zeeberg) Amina wrote: "on your account.. sorry? whaa?

lol.

no emma. mwah hahahaha, it has taken over the world."


That settles it. I'm hereby moving to mars.


message 50: by Nate (new)

Nate I want my own PRIVATE island. Complete with sharks to gaurd the perimeter.

All annoying people will be fed to the sharks.
Any univited visitors will be fed to the sharks. Ect.


« previous 1
back to top