What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Children's/YA > ya/ fantasy teen finds place in woods by creek where time slows down [s]

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ions (new)

Ions | 2 comments This is a novel I read around 4-5 years ago. It was a dark and kind of edgy for the age range and involved discussions of sex.

The main plot is that a fat older teen who lives with his domineering mother in a city apartment finds comfort in walking in the woods. He discovers a place by a small creek where time apparently passes more slowly, as in an hour spent there is only a minute back at his house, and he make this place his refuge. A girl also discovers this location and they get off to a rough start. They eventually learn the secrets of the place and find themselves in a kind of fantasy land. The place is creepy and they chase and fight a monster, the boy does some growing up and there is a climactic scene at the end in a hospital where he is being treated for battlewounds where he tells off his mother and walks into the sunset with his new girlfriend.

Its been noted that there are similarities to bridge to terabithia, but trust me this is not the answer. Though if you think of a more grown up version of that you'd be on the right track.

No idea as to author or title, but I would love to know, this book wasn't that great but it came at a formative time in my teenage years I'd like to read it again now that I'm "grown up".

message 2: by Diana (new)

Diana Welsch | 529 comments Totally The Beginning Place by Ursula Le Guin. I love this book.

message 3: by Ions (new)

Ions | 2 comments Yessss... oh lord, this is great I'm gonna go pick it up right now, thank you.