Terminalcoffee discussion

Face Off! (Less Serious) > Gift wrapping paper vs. gift bags

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brittomart (new)

Brittomart Okay, so I'm TERRIBLE at wrapping any type of gifts. I don't like doing it 'cause I'm terrible at it. I was going to gift bag all of my presents, but I didn't 'cause I already had tons of Christmas wrapping, and I didn't need to buy any bags.

But I'm pro-bags because if you get one, they are reusable, and they're easier and less messy. You just put the gift in the bag, stuff it with tissue paper, and write something on the tag, and you're done.

I just wrapped my presents, and my room looks like wrapping paper hell.

message 2: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17346 comments Mod
I like to put wrapped gifts inside of bags.

message 3: by Sally, la reina (new)

If you prefer gift bags, why is your room full of tissue paper?

message 4: by Sally, la reina (new)

I'd like to talk about gift wrapping technique. Can we do that here?

message 5: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) It's your show.

message 6: by Brittomart (new)

Brittomart I didn't buy bags. I caved and wrapped. I bought one tiny bag for my mom's perfume.

message 7: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I gave my doorman his gift of a bottle of wine in a paper bag -- the way he normally uses it.

message 8: by Sally, la reina (new)

Ha!

I wrapped my brother's in a page from the newspaper. Very artfully.
Wrapped it with twine, and put it inside a lame 90s reused bag stapled shut.

message 9: by Sally, la reina (new)

It was a book tho, not wine.

message 10: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24362 comments Mod
I like to put wrapped gifts inside of bags inside of wrapped boxes inside of bigger bags inside of pirate chests inside of steamer trunks inside of shipping containers.

message 11: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Sally wrote: "I'd like to talk about gift wrapping technique. Can we do that here?"

We're waiting.

message 12: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca White (rebecca_white) | 1028 comments Variety is the spice of life!
Wrapped presents look nicer and more gifty, I think, but that, augmented with a few cute bags, is nice too.

message 13: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (lesslie) I finally gave up ever learning to wrap a gift properly and do gift bags only now. I love stick on bows- the bigger the better.

message 14: by Sally, la reina (new)

Lobstergirl wrote: "I like to put wrapped gifts inside of bags inside of wrapped boxes inside of bigger bags inside of pirate chests inside of steamer trunks inside of shipping containers."

Will you marry me?

This is a fun technique, true.

I also enjoy nestling a super small or fun toy inside bunches of tissue inside a plain old shirt box.

What I want to know about gift wrapping is:
do you make tidy folds with the edges of the paper?
do you get obsessed with having folds at both ends point the same direction?
ribbon:
curling or non?
tack on bows, or make your own?
what about real ribbon vs. paper?

message 15: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I suck at wrapping. I essentially just gather the paper around the box and tape it. But my wife wants to keep gift bags forever and we have about 14,000 in the basement, so I don't have to wrap much if I can find the right sized bag.

message 16: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca White (rebecca_white) | 1028 comments I'm an okay wrapper, but my ex-husband is an excellent wrapper. He takes forever but he's very careful and they look lovely, so I let him do it.

message 17: by Kate (new)

Kate (kateharper) | 206 comments I prefer wrapped gifts. It's way more fun to watch someone open a wrapped gift especally if you actually tie ribbon around it. I try to be careful with my corners but I'm not fanatical about it. I do love beautifal ribbon and adding a little decoration. But once strapped for time, I get out the bags. I have today set aside to do my gift wrapping.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day tomorrow!

message 18: by Sally, la reina (new)

I have fun wrapping. I like to use recycled, awesome paper and ribbons.

message 19: by Jammies (new)

Jammies If I have time and space, I wrap. This year, since I had to get my presents in my checked luggage, I took gift bags folded in my suitcase and added the presents when I got to Dallas.

message 20: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I am the world's worst gift wrapper.

message 21: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Sarah Pi wrote: "I am the world's worst gift wrapper."

No, I am.

message 22: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I think that would make a great contest: worst gift wrapping.

Here's my first round offering:

Also, Jim can probably corroborate. I think my package weighed about an extra pound more than it should thanks to my wrapping job.

message 23: by Sally, la reina (new)

that looks awesome 432

message 24: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) You win.

message 25: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments The wrapping was great Sarah, but maybe a little excessive.

message 26: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments The picture in 23 wasn't actually mine, but approximates my usual style.

Excessive is code for "the wrapping went around the book so many times it looked like an encyclopedia."

message 27: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments :-)

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I like gift bags for things that are weird shapes, and for a collection of small things. And I save them, which is GREAT! I love the reusability of them.

But I tend to wrap most gifts, and use curling ribbon to decorate them. I love stick on bows at Christmas, though, when there's a LOT to wrap and I get tired, and just slapping a sticky bow on it sounds really good.

message 29: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Sarah Pi wrote: "I think that would make a great contest: worst gift wrapping.

Here's my first round offering:

Also, Jim can probably corroborate. I think my package weighed about an extra pound more than it sho..."

That is actually inspirational. It makes me want to be a really shitty giftwrapper.

I don't really see the point of extravagant giftwrapping and expert techniques if it's all going to end up in the garbage anyway.