My Adventures Through Theology and Beyond discussion

The Bible > Forever 21 Bags

Comments Showing 1-50 of 72 (72 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 965 comments So today I noticed that on the bottom of Forever 21 bags (like, the plastic ones they put your stuff in, not necessarily the ones they sell), it says John 3:16.

John 3:16 says this: "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."

...Discuss.

*Mrs. Brightside* Oh my god, I've been meaning to mention that! I was kind of suprised. I wonder why it's like that.

message 3: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 965 comments Yeah, I know, it's super weird...I mean, as a large chain, they could lose a bunch of face over something like that :P

message 4: by Nathan (new)

Nathan I certainly would stop shopping there.

*Mrs. Brightside* Exactly. I don't think they should do that /:

message 6: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 965 comments No, definitely not...I'm a bit surprised it hasn't gotten more attention :/

*Mrs. Brightside* Well, I don't know...it is on the bottom of the bag. :P Unless you always look at the bottom, I doubt people would notice.

message 8: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 965 comments Yeah, but we two noticed, so...

*Mrs. Brightside* I noticed it...accidentally XD I was just sitting in my closet one day, wondering what to do. Looked down and saw the bag. Hmm...should I put my clothes away? No. Pushed the bag away and it went to the side.
........some time later..... :P
Went back in the closet and totally forgot what I was doing. I sat down again, and went through some stuff. Glanced at the bag again and saw it! Since the bottom of it was facing my way(: that's how I accidentally discovered it. Well, it wasn't an accident, but whatever.

message 10: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 965 comments Yeah, basically the same story with me. :P

*Mrs. Brightside* Lol. See! Not a big chance of this happening to people.

message 12: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 965 comments Actually, I think that a bunch of people do stuff like this...especially if they're like me, and take the stuff out of the bag, put it in the closet, and then just sort of leave the bag there for future use >.<"

*Mrs. Brightside* Haha(: I throw my bag in the closet, and leave it alone. I don't take the clothes out until I wear them, then I'll do something with the clothes afterwards. If the bag is pretty, I'll still hang on to it, giving it a special corner in my closet(;

message 14: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 965 comments xD Awww ;) I keep bags in general...and I use them for a bunch of stuff o.O

*Mrs. Brightside* Well, I keep grocery bags...(:

message 16: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 965 comments My mom does that >.<

*Mrs. Brightside* Lol. My mom's the one to tell me to keep them :P but I don't mind. As long as it isn't in my way.

message 18: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 965 comments xD Our moms have soo much in common ;)

*Mrs. Brightside* Haha, maybe(;

message 20: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 965 comments xDD Fail :P

*Mrs. Brightside* Lol XD Nope.

message 22: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 965 comments It is so! x]

message 23: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 336 comments I love Fo21, it is their business so I believe that they can print anything they want on their bags, if they where goverment owned I might care, however they are private so therfore it is OK :)

I believe inNout burger also has John 3:16 on their cups

message 24: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 965 comments InNOut has a bunch of Biblical references on their stuff...

message 25: by Anna (new)

Anna Banana | 68 comments Well, mixing religion and business is generally a bad idea, in my opinion. It can be seriously bad for business, and the firm would loose costumers. I would get annoyed if a biblical verses where printed on stuff I bought, no matter what it is.

message 26: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 336 comments what about a franchise?
what if you owned a baskin robbins store, would it be ok to play christian music?

*Mrs. Brightside* I don't think it really matters what music you play. Some stores play rock, others country, christian music, whatever. I think it depends on the store you're at. At certain stores, I think it would be weird to play certain music. But most stores I go to play the radio, so it's not bad.

message 28: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 965 comments I love the music Hot Topic plays ^-^

Anna wrote: "Well, mixing religion and business is generally a bad idea, in my opinion. It can be seriously bad for business, and the firm would loose costumers."

Agreed, which is the main reason why I'm confused about it. I mean, it's a huge company - I'd assume they're trying to make money, not spread their religious views....

*Mrs. Brightside* I was thinking of Hot Topic when I wrote that :P

message 30: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 965 comments xD Wow. lol!

message 31: by Courtney (last edited Dec 30, 2010 07:08PM) (new)

Courtney | 336 comments however you have to look super hard to find the verse on the bagI don't think it is trying to evangilize (sp), yes it is odd, but I also see it as an extension of the owners personality

message 32: by *Mrs. Brightside* (last edited Dec 30, 2010 10:12PM) (new)

*Mrs. Brightside* /: You don't have to look super hard to find the verse on the bag. Seriously.

message 33: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 336 comments isn't on the bottom seam?

message 34: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 965 comments Not the seam, the whole side...and, it's even written twice, so that it's not upside-down :P
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=h...

message 35: by Cody (new)

Cody (rolinor) I don't think it's a big deal, the owner of the store is just expressing his/her beliefs, he'she is not trying to force it onto you or anything... Am I the only one who has never heard of Forever 21 till now...

message 36: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 965 comments Cody: Yeah I know, it's just really odd because it's a huge chain. And, er, I think so.

G4b: ?

message 37: by Cody (new)

Cody (rolinor) ♥ Rachel♥ wrote: "Cody: Yeah I know, it's just really odd because it's a huge chain. And, er, I think so.

G4b: ?"

I understand the part about it being a chain and all and might not have been smart but the action may (I don't know why) push away some customers but it also may bring in new ones I think it was just a gamble the company took...

did that make any sense whatsoever

message 38: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 965 comments Yeah, but...I mean, I can't see anyone thinking you'd get good publicity because of something like that....

message 39: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 336 comments Girl4beluga wrote: "eehh i call them tear away cloths"

haha

message 40: by Cody (new)

Cody (rolinor) ♥ Rachel♥ wrote: "Yeah, but...I mean, I can't see anyone thinking you'd get good publicity because of something like that...."

Really? You do realize this world is full of idiots and unfortunately many of those are people in charge such as the heads of companies... The Forever 21 head happens to be one of those head idiots... probably or it was just something to make the store a little more personal to him/her.

message 41: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 336 comments ^ are you calling them idiots because they mismanage their stores?

message 42: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 965 comments Cody wrote: "♥ Rachel♥ wrote: "Yeah, but...I mean, I can't see anyone thinking you'd get good publicity because of something like that...."

Really? You do realize this world is full of idiots and unfortunately..."

Yes, but those head idiots don't design their bags. People are paid to do that for them :P

message 43: by Cody (new)

Cody (rolinor) yeah... they make bad gambles... they should not play poker lol.

message 44: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 336 comments well if they make bad gambles they would lose money, however they have been opening many new stores

message 45: by Cody (new)

Cody (rolinor) Courtney wrote: "well if they make bad gambles they would lose money, however they have been opening many new stores"

Like I said I have never heard of the place till this thread opened so there business hasn't reached my area yet.

♥ Rachel♥ wrote: "Cody wrote: "♥ Rachel♥ wrote: "Yes, but those head idiots don't design their bags. People are paid to do that for them :P
"

True but the heads still have to approve the bags.

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 297 comments ♥ Rachel♥ wrote: "Yeah, but...I mean, I can't see anyone thinking you'd get good publicity because of something like that...."

I'm sure they would get some good reactions from the conservative Christian groups, and some moderate Christian groups. However, from what I've read, it seems like the company owners are doing this as an honest attempt at evangelism, not a marketing gamble.

I honestly don't think it's that big of a deal. I don't currently shop their, and this isn't going to change that; if I did shop there, I don't think I would stop just over this. I have no problems with expressions of faith (or lack of faith), so long as those expressions don't harm others and aren't excessive, like the Westboro Baptist people.

message 47: by Cody (new)

Cody (rolinor) Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) wrote: "♥ Rachel♥ wrote:
"I'm sure they would get some good reactions from the conservative Christian groups, and some moderate Christian groups. However, from what I've read, it seems like the company owners are doing this as an honest attempt at evangelism, not a marketing gamble. "

Well thats's just dumb...

message 48: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 965 comments Cody: Yes...but still. I just think it's extremely odd :/

Rachel: Well, yeah, but the majority of the press and stuff is probably not being overly positive :P But, if so, OK...
And same, I don't really have a problem either. I just think it's worth mention and stuff :P

message 49: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 336 comments ^my thoughts exactly, I don't think this is is being preachy or full of malice for non-christian

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 297 comments ♥ Rachel♥ wrote: "Cody: Yes...but still. I just think it's extremely odd :/

Rachel: Well, yeah, but the majority of the press and stuff is probably not being overly positive :P But, if so, OK...
And same, I don't r..."

The majority of the press, no. The "Put the 'Christ' Back in 'Christmas'" crowd, yes. (Disclaimer: I have nothing against this crowd, though I think they do overreact a wee bit)

« previous 1