Karen Chance Fans discussion

Midnight's Daughter (Dorina Basarab, #1)
This topic is about Midnight's Daughter
The Dory Books > Midnight's Daughter (Dorina Basarab #1)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 589 (589 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

message 1: by Enjee, Founder (new) - rated it 5 stars

Enjee | 1194 comments Mod
The first of the Dorina Basarab series. What are your thoughts?

message 2: by Enjee, Founder (last edited Dec 23, 2010 06:54PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

In this book, we learn about Mircea's daughter Dorina (Dory). Dory has sheballs.
I know you are asking "What's that you say, Enjee? Sheballs?"
I recently re-learned this term after reading this review of a totally different book...but this review has visual aids:
Kat Kennedy's review of Paranormalcy

I shall add comments, and I encourage the rest of you to as well, that offer proof of Dory's sheballs.

message 3: by Suz (new) - rated it 4 stars

Suz Well, I get the she-balls thing and agree that Dory has them. Although Dory is not without her issues, she's also not typical in her breakage ie: she's not unapproachable.

Kat Kennedy's review of Paranormalcy, however, read a bit more like a humorous slam of Anita Blake than a real review of the topic book.

I may as well use this opportunity to confess:
"Hi, my name is Suz and I am a Jean-Claude fan. Yes, I liked all the Anita Blake books, pre and post sexing, and I still look forward to the new releases."

The group responds: "Hi Suz!"

message 4: by Enjee, Founder (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hi Suz!

message 5: by Mai (new) - added it

Mai (maisydaisy) Hi Suz. I have been sober for 2 months and 12 days - oh, wait, wrong group, sorry.

message 6: by Suz (new) - rated it 4 stars

Suz :D I think I'm gonna like it here.

message 7: by Enjee, Founder (new) - rated it 5 stars

And here is the full primer on sheballs:

http://nmdefamationsuit.com/post/1043...

Valerie ~ Val Hall ~ | 1164 comments Hi Suz. I started a diet 14 days ago and so far I have lost 2 weeks.

message 9: by Suz (new) - rated it 4 stars

Suz Valerie wrote: "Hi Suz. I started a diet 14 days ago and so far I have lost 2 weeks."

HAHAHAHAHA

Hi Valerie! Let me know when you find those weeks.

Besides, didn't anyone every tell you what diet stands for?

Dare
I
Eat
This

I can't speak for you, but I'm a daring woman. :D

message 10: by Mai (new) - added it

Mai (maisydaisy) Personally I'm on a seefood diet. I see it, then I eat it. While we're on the topic of bad jokes.

Valerie ~ Val Hall ~ | 1164 comments All jokes aside, there is a restaurent I always wanted to go to but did not find the time. Actually, it's owned by blind people therefore you have to dine in the dark. Being deprived from sight must add to the experience.

message 12: by Kat (last edited Jan 03, 2011 09:33PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kat | 237 comments Ooh is that the one in New York? I've heard of that one, it sounds awesome.

message 13: by Mai (new) - added it

Mai (maisydaisy) Cooool.

message 14: by Enjee, Founder (new) - rated it 5 stars

For those of you who are members of the Goodreads group Who's Your Author
, Karen's book Midnight's Daughter is being suggested as the June group read.

June BOM Poll

message 15: by Enjee, Founder (new) - rated it 5 stars

Enjee wrote: "For those of you who are members of the Goodreads group Who's Your Author
, Karen's book Midnight's Daughter is being suggested as the June group read.

June BOM Poll"

Cool... Midnight's Daughter (Dorina Basarab, #1) by Karen Chance was the top vote and will be the group read.

They are also reading Hounded (Iron Druid Chronicles, #1) by Kevin Hearne in June.

June Poll Results

Sandra "Jeanz" Have my copy of Midnights Daughter on order just waiting...n....waiting for it to arrive through the post!

message 17: by Dawn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dawn Bakewell (dbakewell) | 11 comments I'm probably going to get blasted for saything this but I liked the Dory series better than the Cassie series. I like Cassie but I love Louise-ceaser and Dory storyline. I Dory just kicks Butt.

Sandra "Jeanz" I have recently read a short novella with Dory in it which has made me want to read a full length book.have it ordered but its not arrived today :(

message 19: by Dawn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dawn Bakewell (dbakewell) | 11 comments You will enjoy it. :)

message 20: by Fiona (new)

Fiona I look forward to checking out both the Dory and the Cassie series.

message 21: by Fiona (new)

Fiona Dare I Eat This. Hadn't heard that one before or if I did, I've forgotten it. It fits.

message 22: by Enjee, Founder (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dawn wrote: "I'm probably going to get blasted for saything this but I liked the Dory series better than the Cassie series. I like Cassie but I love Louise-ceaser and Dory storyline. I Dory just kicks Butt."

I prefer Dory, as well. I like "snarky" better than "soft-hearted".

Kaye620 | 32 comments Enjee and Dawn, I agree! Can't wait for the next Dory book. I like the boys in the Cassie series more than I do Cassie. Now...if I could just make up my mind as to which one I would like to see Cassie end up with... I've got it! Cassie should move on to someone new and leave them both to me!

message 24: by Dawn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dawn Bakewell (dbakewell) | 11 comments I'll take Mircea you can have Prinktin.

Kaye620 | 32 comments What,I can't be greedy and take both? I guess if I had to choose for myself I'd choose Mircea too. Hmmm, I also like LC. Don't guess it'd go to well for the three of them to be brother husbands (compared to sister wives).

LC, if you treat Dory the way Mircea does and keep info from her she won't be sticking around!

message 26: by Dawn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dawn Bakewell (dbakewell) | 11 comments That's an intersting idea brother husbands... humm who would my three be.. let me think.. LC, Mircea and Kit Marlowe I like him too. From other series.

Kaye620 | 32 comments Kit, how could I forget kit? If we were to add in the ones for other series I'd end up with a male harem.

Is there a time table anywhere that shows when each book takes place? I'd like to see if my perception when reading them (Dory & Cassie series)is right.

message 28: by Dawn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dawn Bakewell (dbakewell) | 11 comments I havent' seen anything like that. I would have a harem too. there are too many men that I would want.

message 29: by Shasha (new) - added it

Shasha (designbyshasha) Hm. it might be obvious to others, but are we heading for a Caedmon-Dory-LC thing? The Fey king seems very comfortable with randomly kissing Dory :) In vino veritas was really cute though :)

message 30: by Enjee, Founder (new) - rated it 5 stars

I have often thought the same, Shasha.
Although Dory hooked up with LC pretty quickly.

Gayatri | 62 comments Are the short stories as good as the books of Dory and Cassie becuase I am reading the second book of Dory's and it will end soon so I was wondering. I tried Karen Chance's site for books and I loved the short story of Emry's(Pritkin).

message 32: by Enjee, Founder (new) - rated it 5 stars

@Gayatri - I loved all the short stories, and they provide reading material about our favorite characters in-between full-length books.
Also, all the stories about Lia are short stories/novellas. I loved those...

Samara Chung | 25 comments I've just finished the book today!!
And I looooove Radu :D
He's really cute lol

message 34: by Anna (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anna | 1680 comments Is that cute or cute (sexy)?

Lannister (lannisteruk) | 10911 comments Hey Samara, glad you liked it! I think Radu's an absolute sweetie. He's considered a bit mad by most vampires, yet to me, he actually seems quite human (maybe that's why they think he's crazy LOL!)

What do you think of Dory? She's very different from Cassie!

message 36: by Missdevora (last edited May 11, 2012 05:59PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Missdevora | 2142 comments @Kaye620 Is there a time table anywhere that shows when each book takes place? I'd like to see if..."

Hi! A coupple of weeks ago I was looking if KC has a new novella or story or book out there and I found this awsome timeline at KC's web: http://www.karenchance.com/timeline.html

Samara Chung | 25 comments Lannister, reading the book I almost forgot Radu was a vampire until the end lol and somehow i pictured him as a lovely old man i dont know why lol
Dory is amazinnnnng. You know how Cassie sort of released Dracula in EtN, I always thought that it'd be Cassie going after him in ilke the 6th or 7th book, and wanna know whatd happen to them, so this is like the book I needed years ago lol
Annnnnnnnd. I'm sooo happy that I've learnt so much about Mircea's fam in this book lol
I've ordered Dory#2 already just waiting it to be arrived :p and same old story : after reading KC, Im struggling to read other books lol
(my english sucks lol I hope what i said made sense to you :p )

Lannister (lannisteruk) | 10911 comments Missdevora, yeah that timeline is fab isn't it!! It's especially good for people who are new to the books and aren't short what order to read things in.

Samara, Hey your English is absolutely fine! Don't worry about that. I kinda picture Radu like a sweet old uncle too. It's hard to think of him as the half-crazed creature that Cassie sees when she takes Mircea back to Carcassone in Touch the Dark (though a few hundred years have gone by since then!) I really liked the way KC wrote the whole Dracula storyline. Cassie accidentally frees him but has no idea what she's done. Mircea enlists Dory's help to clean up the mess, but he never tells Cassie the chaos she's unleashed on the world. It was actually quite decent of him not to blame her, especially when he had to kill his own brother in the end.

Can't wait to hear what you think of the second book! :D

Samara Chung | 25 comments I really would like to have an uncle like Radu lol
and isnt Mircea like a good dad to Dory as well? why does she hate him so much..?
I like Mircea is really sweet to Cassie, Im obsessed with him lol and really wanna know whatd happen between Dory and LC, will they end up to be a couple or sth????

message 40: by Sarah ♥ dog crazy ♥ , Mircea's Moderatrix (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sarah ♥ dog crazy ♥  (mylheage) | 6031 comments Mod
I'm obsessed with Mircea as well, Samara. ;-)

Lannister (lannisteruk) | 10911 comments Samara, Mircea has erased some of Dory's memories without telling her. He did it to protect her, and I guess it's up to the individual whether they think that's right or wrong. But mostly, I think he's a big old control freak who tries to tell Dory what to do, and she has a rebellious streak a mile wide. So they clash. For 500 years! And I don't think either of them are very good at letting go of a grudge.

I'm thinking that they'll forge a friendship before the series is done. Maybe not exactly a typical father/daughter relationship, but a caring, respectful relationship.

Missdevora | 2142 comments Sarah ♥ Vutch forever ♥ wrote: "I'm obsessed with Mircea as well, Samara. ;-)"

I think all of us are obssesed with Mircea. It's because of the name 'Mircea' I started to read everything KC publishes... almost from the beginning (summer 2007, ahh those times)

Maggie (lacr1mation) &&& I <3 Dory!!

Lannister (lannisteruk) | 10911 comments Me too!! LOL

Maggie (lacr1mation) I always appreciate kick ass women who have a bad temper & make no apologies for it. ;P

Samara Chung | 25 comments Maggie lol I usually don't really appreciate that kinda womem unless it was me myself lol

Lannister (lannisteruk) | 10911 comments Maggie/Samara, I think we all have an inner Dory just waiting to come out when someone really pisses us off! Mine isn't all that inner sometimes LMAO!

Dinique, "Angry sexual attraction" - That's a great way of describing it! I like the fact that while LC is fighting with Dory, he's also fighting his own attraction to her, cos dhampires are supposed to be like vermin and utterly beneath him. LC definitely needs a good kick up the arse sometimes!

I definitely wouldn't say Dory was a Mary Sue character. She does have a vulnerable side, and she's a bit messed up and makes mistakes.

Maggie (lacr1mation) I always enjoy reading the "angry sexual attractions" more than the lovey dovey BS. It's way more fun.

Lannister (lannisteruk) | 10911 comments Agree 100% Maggie. I can't be doing with lovey dovey stuff. It doesn't feel real to me. However, lots of ranting, fighting and screaming, followed by loud sex, well, I can totally relate to that! :D

Lannister (lannisteruk) | 10911 comments Absolutely Dinique! A mix of both is good, because if it's all constant "I love you, my darling" followed by tender sex, it gets a bit eye-rolling. Likewise, if it's all screaming "I hate you" followed by make-up sex, it gets unrealistic.

A bit of both hits the spot!

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12