Fantasy Aficionados discussion

Off Topic > Confessions of a Book Buying Addict.

Comments Showing 1-50 of 640 (640 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 12 13

message 1: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3204 comments I've read a lot of threads in certain groups, like our own group, of people who have way too many books on their to-be-read book shelf. If you're like me at all, than you have an entire bookshelf all its own, dedicated to the books you want to read.

Jackie and I thought it would be fun to start a thread, where you can confess your sins...

As for me, I think I might take a picture in the near future of my to-be-read book shelf and post it in my pictures. When I do, I will post it here, and you will see a small corner of my madness...LOL

message 2: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 857 comments I'd like to see it.

We can also tell about our great bargains. For example, a few months ago I went to the library to return a book and perused their sale shelf. I found 14 Darkover novels by Marion Zimmer Bradley for $2. How could I pass that up? I wouldn't, I couldn't and I didn't.

message 3: by Laurel (new)

Laurel I lie to myself about how many unread books I have at home - they're hidden amongst all of the ones I have read. I shudder to think how many are actually there...

Maybe after the visit with the family, I'll have to spend an afternoon re-arranging! I see a new bookcase in my future.

message 4: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 857 comments I keep mine separated. It makes choosing a new book to read easier if I don't have to filter through books I've already read.

message 5: by Jason (last edited Dec 24, 2010 11:10AM) (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3204 comments I'm like Jackie, mostly because I like having a fairly large amount of books to choose from when it's time to select a new one. Going to my tbr book shelf is something like hitting the book store.

Though, this often fails, because when I'm at an actual bookstore and see a bunch of books I want.... hence this thread.

message 6: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 857 comments I'm contemplating buying the rest of Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series. My son is working at Borders for the holiday season and get's a 33% discount. Oh, give me strength!

message 7: by Christine (new)

Christine Practically my entire library is TBR. Most of the books I have collected thru the years and plan on reading them all. I will have to post a photo of my library too. I consider myself a reader and a collector and some of the books are reference books and art books and I only read parts of them from time to time. I'm trying really hard not to buy a book unless its by an author that I collect his/her work or there is something unusual about the book like its illustrations or its cover is fur as in Dave Eggers latest. I usually buy a lot of books as gifts at Christmas and some for me too. This year I have been really good and only bought one for myself, The Left Hand of God by Ursula LeGuin at the SciFi Museum in Seattle. My souvenir from our trip to Seattle. I'm really trying to utilize my kindle more and not have as many physical books, especially those that are like mind candy and only take a day to read. Part of my problem is I belong to too many book discussion groups and I always buy the book for the group. I need to stop doing that and cut down on the groups I belong to. Its cutting into my own reading lists.

message 8: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 857 comments I only join in group reads when I own the book they're going to read. Once in a while, I'll get it from the library if I really want to read the book. And rarer still is when I buy a book for a group read.
Poverty has it advantages, LOL

message 9: by Christine (new)

Christine I just need to get better at saying "No". That goes for a lot of things. LOL.

message 10: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 857 comments Hang around with me more, I'm an expert at it.

message 11: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3204 comments I need help on that front, too. LOL

message 12: by Jackie (last edited Dec 24, 2010 07:40PM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 857 comments Join the party, Jason.
I look at it like this: I've got one life, I refuse to waste it on doing things I don't want to do.

I may not be the most popular person on the planet but I'm probably the happiest.

message 13: by Elena (new)

Elena | 7 comments Jackie wrote: "I only join in group reads when I own the book they're going to read. Once in a while, I'll get it from the library if I really want to read the book. And rarer still is when I buy a book for a g..."

I have tried that, but have failed...

message 14: by Rakib_khan (new)

Rakib_khan | 5 comments .....I buy 5-10 books each month,read about 1-2 of them(cuz I got more to read from before) n the pile grows on.....actually it's good to live in a third world country,I can't find many of the books I wanna but(but it's still hard every time to choose according to my budget).....

message 15: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 857 comments Rakib_khan wrote: it's still hard every time to choose according to my budget

I can sympathize with that. I just checked amazon and what I want is out of my price range.
Where do you live?

message 16: by Leighann (new)

Leighann | 159 comments I've gotten to the point where I have sacrificed having a dresser in my room in order to have another book shelf for my books. I was at one point so bad that I had not only all of my bookshelves filled but every corner of the room had piles of un-read books. I still buy books that I "intend" to read and then they sit there for months. But hey when I'm in a bind and can't make it to the store or the power goes out - I've got that book tucked under the stack in the left corner that I know I can read!

message 17: by Jason (last edited Dec 27, 2010 11:07AM) (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3204 comments That's awesome, Leighann! It also makes my unread book collecting look pathetic in comparison. lol

message 18: by Leighann (new)

Leighann | 159 comments Thanks - I am currently on a mission to knock down the pile of unread books and moved them into the read bookshelf. Only problem - I'm discovering there is a reason some of them haven't been read!

message 19: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3204 comments That's funny, because I have books in my tbr bookshelf that makes me wonder what the heck I thought made them look interesting in the first place. But then, some of them I've had in there for ten years or more.

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) I am very much a book-collecting addict. When I can't afford to buy books, I don't. But when I do, I continually buy them. I love owning books. My mother and sister are nice enough to put up with my book addiction, although they benefit. I was thinking I would buy another bookcase this weekend for my spillover books. :)

message 21: by Rakib_khan (new)

Rakib_khan | 5 comments Jackie wrote: "Rakib_khan wrote: it's still hard every time to choose according to my budget

I can sympathize with that. I just checked amazon and what I want is out of my price range.
Where do you live?"

.....Bangladesh.....we have only a few English bookstores in the city(Dhaka) I live in.....n a few of them is way expensive for me,I usually buy book from some used bookstores n they have limited collection.....

message 22: by Jackie (last edited Dec 27, 2010 05:23PM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 857 comments Rakib,
I'd imagine it would be expensive for English language books. What is are the languages of Bangladesh? Are books in those languages any less expensive?

message 23: by Rakib_khan (new)

Rakib_khan | 5 comments @Jackie:.....Bengali....some books are less expensive but quite a lot are not.....in our language there is so few books from the genres I like now-a-days,there are just too much tv serials & movies,so few people actually reads books here beside to study.....

message 24: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (jaedia) | 2 comments I've been collecting for a few years and took a bit of a reading break, and now I work in a charity shop, in which I'm given a 50% staff discount, and every book costs me 25-50p ... I'm a very slow reader as well, it's getting pretty difficult to keep up with myself! I just keep spotting books that sound so much better than the ones already on my TBR list, or my interests take a turn.. I've always been awful at saying no!

message 25: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 857 comments Rakib,
While the US has a lot of book, many younger people do not read. TV, video games and the internet has taken it's place.
It bothers me when someone wants to read and books are not available to them at an affordable rate.
Do you have lending libraries nearby?

message 26: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3204 comments Video games, movies, television are all a great way to keep the populace satisfied easily. Much less work, and they don't have to think so much.

But hey, I like my brain candy too! lol

message 27: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3204 comments Hannah, I'm a slow reader as well. Which doesn't help with the creeping piles of growing books. lol

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) Jason, I wish I read faster than I do. It adds to my tbr pile anxiety. And I can't seem to abandon a book that is a slow read. I have to finish pretty much all the books I start (with rare exception).

message 29: by Jackie (last edited Dec 28, 2010 06:13PM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 857 comments Lady D, I'm the same way! Even if I'm hating a book, I can't drop it til the end, even if it takes a long while to finish. The sad part is that a crappy book in the beginning usually stays a crappy book til the end. I wish I could just say I don't like this and shut the book for good. I waste a lot of reading time because of this inability.
I think we all wish we read faster, no matter what our pace may be, faster would still be better :)

message 30: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3204 comments I will drop a book if I don't like it. Life is too short. I do think that I will stick to reading the Lovecraft bio. It's really interesting so far. But it will take forever. lol

message 31: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 857 comments Jason, I'm always saying 'life is too short...' for this or that but I never thought about it for quitting a book. I'll have to remember that the next time I have a rotten book.
Part of my issue with quitting a book is that I always think the book will get better. It's something I have to work on.

message 32: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3204 comments I used to think that too, that the book could get better, and so I would read it until the bitter end. After so many times of these books not getting better, I just decided it was better to give it up. I don't give it away, though, unless I know that it's something I am not into and never will be. It could be just my mood as to the reason I'm not into it.

message 33: by JoLene (new)

JoLene (trvl2mtns) My book buying habit got out of control when I moved to France for a couple of years. I lived in fear of not having something to read so I really started stockpiling.....and didn't really stop when I moved back to US. I only keep a select few so most of my books are TBRs, once read, I give them to friends or family. However, my husband likes to keep his books after he's read them ---- so between the two of us, we have books in every room of the house.

message 34: by Rakib_khan (new)

Rakib_khan | 5 comments Jackie wrote: "Rakib,
While the US has a lot of book, many younger people do not read. TV, video games and the internet has taken it's place.
It bothers me when someone wants to read and books are not avail..."

.....Nope.....no libraries.....don't worry cuz I still got many books to read that I bought & to buy.....n I am also a slow reader(1 book per week or less/more if boring/interesting).....

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) I usually do alright when I stick to a book that's going slowly. But then,I'm so picky that I won't start a book I know I'll hate.

JoLene, stockpiling books has come in handy for me. There have been times where I didn't have book-buying money, and I just read books I already owned.

message 36: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 857 comments Lady Danielle wrote: But then,I'm so picky that I won't start a book I know I'll hate.

I try to find book I think I'll like but often the publisher will make the book sound like something it's not, or there'll be enticing blurbs on the cover. That really makes me angry, it's a bait and switch scam. I wish they'd just say what it really is because I'm sure someone will want to read it, even if it's not me.

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) I agree with you. I hate false advertising of any kind. I had an author push her book on me, assuring it wasn't a kind of book I don't like, and it totally was.

message 38: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 857 comments I don't know why they do that. OK, yes, to make sales, but if I get the bait and switch I'm more likely to write a scathing review and tell every person I know how awful the book was. I don't think it's worth it in the long run. Word of mouth for 'bookies' like us goes a long way.

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) I would think they'd worry about bad press with the bait and switch too. I guess she thought if she snuck in some objectionable subject matter with the story, I'd love it so much, I'd forgive her and give the book a good rating. I haven't read and I won't. Not my cup of tea.

message 40: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 857 comments I'd have done the same.

message 41: by Jason (last edited Dec 29, 2010 02:15PM) (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3204 comments I notice that they do the false advertising a lot with movies. Which is frustrating. A really bad example, or perhaps a good one, is a recent low budget move called The Tomb. They say on the front cover, if not in the title, that it's based off the H. P. Lovecraft's short story. If you've read the story, as I have, then flip over the DVD case, you find that the movie is about some serial killer. Has nothing to do with the Lovecraft story. They just slapped on his name to try and get people to buy it.

message 42: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 857 comments Wow, that's really bad. Can't they get sued for that?

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) Oh, that annoys me. I watched a movie called "Tell Tale" that was supposed to be like Poe's story. The only connection was that the main character had a heart transplant and he had memories of his donor's murder. What?????

message 44: by Christine (new)

Christine The TV show, Haven, and Stephen King's The Colorado Kid are the same way. I'm not sure how they can say they are connected when there is so little that connects them.

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) I am still trying to figure out Haven and how it relates to The Colorado Kid too!

message 46: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3204 comments I think the fans should be able to sue...lol

message 47: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 857 comments I like the way you think, Jason. Class action suit, anyone? LOL

message 48: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3204 comments LOL Let's do it!

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) Ha, the studios would go bankrupt!

message 50: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 857 comments It would serve them right!

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 12 13