Roger Zelazny discussion

Roger Zelazny
This topic is about Roger Zelazny
NESFA Collection > Collected Stories #7 - The Ides of Octember: A Pictorial Bibliography of Roger Zelazny

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ckovacs (new)

ckovacs | 142 comments This comprehensive bibliography of Zelazny's works has been published and ordering information should go up on the NESFA Press website soon. Ordering through Amazon and the like will take a few weeks longer to become active. The book is a large format trade paperback with cover art that matches the six-volume The Collected Stories of Roger Zelazny so that the seven volumes form a continuous picture along their spines.

It runs 400 pages, contains over 600 cover images, and has detailed bibliographic entries for all English-language appearances of Zelazny's fiction, poetry, essays, and other works. Detailed descriptions of each book are provided so that first editions can be distinguished from later printings. The thumbnail images include the covers from every edition of Zelazny's books and from the first publications of his stories and poems in magazines, fanzines, and anthologies. The main index includes every known official, alternate, manuscript, and phantom title associated with Zelazny's works. Additional lists include interviews, Amber memorabilia, audio recordings, limited editions, fanzines, and awards. A secondary bibliography is also included which lists more than 300 essays, theses, and books that have been written about Zelazny and his writings.

Chris

message 2: by Jim, Keeper of the Pattern (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 976 comments Finally! And just too late to order as a Xmas present.
;-)

Glad it finally got finished, Chris. Can you provide a link? Is it considered #6 in the 'Collected Stories'? I would think of it that way, the icing on the cake, & it should probably go into that folder, here.

message 3: by ckovacs (new)

ckovacs | 142 comments Jim:

There are already six volumes in The Collected Stories, so this could be considered the seventh volume. As I mentioned above, the cover is designed to match the first six volumes so when aligned on the shelf, all seven spines form a continuous image.

But it is distinct from The Collected Stories and best considered a companion to those six.

The link is this:
http://www.nesfa.org/press/Books/Zela...

At the moment it still shows it as a pending publication. Since the books arrived so close to the holidays it will take a few days for NESFA Press to get organized and show the active purchase link. But the books are in hand, it's not a pending publication any longer.

Chris

message 4: by Jim, Keeper of the Pattern (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 976 comments #7! Duh. I have the first 6, although I haven't read the last yet.

I've moved it into the Short Stories & Collections folder & edited the topic title a bit so folks can see it lines up with the others. Thanks, Chris. IF Xmas didn't completely ruin me financially, I'll pick it up after the holidays.

message 5: by ckovacs (new)

ckovacs | 142 comments The purchase button is now active at this link:
http://www.nesfa.org/press/Books/Zela...

message 6: by Jim, Keeper of the Pattern (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 976 comments Super! Thanks! Order placed.

message 7: by ckovacs (new)

ckovacs | 142 comments It's now a pre-order on Amazon and they should have it in stock within 2-3 weeks.

message 8: by Jim, Keeper of the Pattern (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 976 comments Here's the blurb on this book from NESFA:

The Ides of Octember: A Pictorial Bibliography of Roger Zelazny is an essential reference for both collectors and scholars. It includes a comprehensive listing of all English-language publications of Zelazny's fiction and non-fiction. Detailed descriptions of each book are provided so that first editions can be distinguished from later printings. Thumbnail images are included of the covers from every edition of Zelazny's books and from the first publications of his stories and poems in magazines, fanzines, and anthologies. The main index includes every known official, alternate, manuscript, and phantom title associated with Zelazny's works. Additional lists include interviews, Amber memorabilia, audio recordings, limited editions, fanzines, and awards. A secondary bibliography is also included which lists more than 300 essays, theses, and books that have been written about Zelazny and his writings.

ISBN 10: 1-886778-92-2
ISBN 13: 978-1-886778-92-4
Page count: 400
Book Size: 5-3/4" x 8-3/4" (trade paperback matches outside dimentions of hardcover Collected Stories)
Published: December 2010 [trade paperback]
Compiled by Christopher S. Kovacs.
Edited by David G. Grubbs, Christopher S. Kovacs and Ann Crimmins
Cover art by Michael Whelan
Cover design by Alice Lewis
Price: $26.00

message 10: by Jim, Keeper of the Pattern (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 976 comments I got my copy today. I paid for it & was then contacted by NESFA asking what I had paid for & what my address was. Apparently they haven't worked out all the kinks with Paypal, for some reason. I was a little disappointed that my request for confirmation was ignored.

I haven't really read this yet & don't plan to. It's a reference to Zelazny's work, specifically this collection but great for anyone who has a lot of his stuff. I found that the indexes make looking up a particular story very easy. Bold page numbers show you where the thumbnail is, which is very important.

In an earlier review, I noted that the notes say a story was based on cover art & I was sorry that I couldn't see that work. Now I can & very quickly, too. Super cool & made the purchase worthwhile. Just looking at some of the old pulp covers would be of interest to any SF or fantasy fan. Lots of big names & cool covers.

Unfortunately, I was quite disappointed to see that all the thumbnails are in gray scale, not color. It is 400 pages & I'm sure NESFA isn't making any real money on this, but it would have been nice to have been warned in the blurb about this.

I'm not thrilled with it only being available in trade paperback when all the others were nice hardbacks with removable dust covers. Not a huge deal & the cover does blend in nicely, still it would have made the collection classier to have the same style.

Likely, it would have cost twice as much to provide me color & a hard back. Would I have paid $60? Maybe I would have, but, economics being what they are, I doubt many will buy Ides at the current price. Seriously, how many die-hard Zelazny fans are there with the extra cash in these times? Well, if they ever redo it to the specs I'd like, I hope I'm in the position to buy it.

All in all, I'm pretty happy with it & plan to have it by my side as I read the 6th book & certainly will when I re-read the others.

message 11: by ckovacs (new)

ckovacs | 142 comments Jim, you seriously underestimated the costs. For V1-6 of The Collected Stories, the sales are in the thousands per book. For the bibliography, the projected sales are to be a few hundred copies at best, with the majority going to serious collectors, Zelazny aficionados, and libraries. Bibliographies aren't high demand items. The cost per volume escalates the smaller the print run. Double the cost just if you want it to be hardcover, and drop the sales considerably so it becomes unaffordable or undesirable for the buyer and the publisher. And don't even think about color. For perspective, it wasn't possible to print the 24 Hokusai woodcuts in color for Zelazny's story in V5 because of the tremendous expense. Then consider that there are over 600 images in the bibliography. The book couldn't exist with color images, unfortunately. It is a break-even project as it is.

I hadn't expected the bibliography to have the Michael Whelan artwork on it, and the fact that the cover is in color and matched to the six hardcovers is a bonus for me. And as I mentioned before, it's a companion to the six-volume Collected Stories and not a seventh volume as you've described it. So it's appropriate for it to be distinct from the others.

By the way, there may be a special limited, leatherbound hardcover edition from a different publisher later this year. But it won't have the color images that you want either. I'll post details about that when possible.

message 12: by Jim, Keeper of the Pattern (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 976 comments Wow! That much extra? I knew it would be high, but not that high. It's a shame. I wouldn't be interested in just a leather bound or hardback. The cover makes less difference than the contents. I'd pay more for color inside, but if it's that high, forget it. I grew up with B&W TV, so I'll get by.

As for it being the 7th book... I thought about that. If it isn't listed here as book 7, I was afraid it wouldn't get recognized for what it is - a really important part of the collected stories. Actually, I'd prefer to have it first, before reading them.

message 13: by ckovacs (new)

ckovacs | 142 comments There are quite a few short-piece titles by Zelazny that weren't included in The Collected Stories because they were non-fiction essays or excerpts of novels, and we didn't have space for all of that. And other pieces had several different titles. The bibliography helps in this respect for someone who may knows of a Zelazny title and wonders why it wasn't included. It corrects the misinformation. Some websites and newsgroups had made lists of uncollected stories, but many of the items weren't short stories, many were introductions written for other authors' books, some were poems, some were alternate titles of other stories, and a few weren't even works by Zelazny!

I have all of those covers in full-size and thumbnail-sized color images, so if it ever does become feasible to display them somewhere (such as if the bibliography becomes web-based), then I can make them available.

message 14: by Jim, Keeper of the Pattern (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 976 comments Having them available at all would be really nice.

Now you guys have to get to work on the Collected Works of Karl Edward Wagner.
;-)

message 15: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 84 comments I've updated the Collected Works series information. I removed the #7 from this book, but left it associated with the other books.

message 16: by Jim, Keeper of the Pattern (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 976 comments Is it OK if I leave it here in the group or do you want me to change the topic title?

message 17: by ckovacs (new)

ckovacs | 142 comments The cover image is available on the NESFA Press website now so it can be added here. Apparently I can't do it.

message 18: by Jim, Keeper of the Pattern (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 976 comments I put it on there, Chris.

message 19: by ckovacs (new)

ckovacs | 142 comments I discovered yesterday that in the March issue of Locus, and on-line at their website (http://www.locusmag.com/Magazine/2011... ), THE IDES OF OCTEMBER has been chosen one of the dozen New & Notable books for March. I'm totally shocked. I thought at best it would be buried in the "books received" listings and not highlighted in any way. NESFA Press almost baulked at publishing it because they thought few would buy it -- and they've since had to extend the print run because it has sold so well!

I'd mentioned before that there will be a special limited edition coming out from another publisher, and that is expected to be released & announced by them within the next several weeks. What I can tell you is that it will be signed by Roger Zelazny himself, limited to 21 signed copies plus 4 unsigned PC copies, lettered, traycased, and leatherbound. The signed state became possible because I owned a number of signature sheets leftover from some earlier limited editions of the Amber novels.

message 20: by Jim, Keeper of the Pattern (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 976 comments Congrats, Chris! That's excellent news.

I was wondering about the signatures. Quite a trick.

message 21: by ckovacs (new)

ckovacs | 142 comments The signed (by Zelazny) leatherbound, traycased, 21-copy edition of THE IDES OF OCTEMBER has been officially released. I believe about half of the copies are already accounted for in presales. If anyone is interested, the relevant information is contained in this link: http://archive.constantcontact.com/fs...

message 22: by Jim, Keeper of the Pattern (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 976 comments Cool! Unfortunately, too rich for my blood. Wish I could.

message 23: by Paul (new)

Paul Weimer (paulweimer) | 3 comments I picked up an unsigned version of the HC at Uncle Hugo's last weekend. I had not intended to, but I saw it on the shelf and could not resist.

message 24: by ckovacs (new)

ckovacs | 142 comments A second edition, revised to incorporate entries through late 2014, was published last month by NESFA Press. It has a different ISBN - 978-1-61037-309-8 and states "Second Edition" on the cover and spine to distinguish it from the firsts edition. There are many additions (old items previously overlooked as well as new ones) as well as a few corrections. Over 100 changes in total.

The NESFA Press website doesn't list it specifically yet, but it is available for order. It should go up on Amazon and others soon as well.

message 25: by Larry (new)

Larry (redrug) | 2 comments The more Zelazny material in print the better, to me his writing is absolutely in a class by itself!

message 26: by Casey (new)

Casey | 25 comments I keep going back and forth on this. I want it, but also don't know how much use it would get being a Bibliography. But it would be both interesting (and probably frustrating) to see all the things out there that RZ did that I just will never see.

message 27: by Jim, Keeper of the Pattern (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 976 comments If you read the 'Collected Works', you'll find several references to paintings that Zelazny based short stories on. That & having the complete set were enough for me.

message 28: by Casey (new)

Casey | 25 comments Indeed I did read them. They are some of the few RZ that aren't packed with the majority of my books so I have easy access to so much of his stuff (my wife and I need a bigger home, 3 kids take up a lot of space).

Well, I keep going back and forth on it, but with the 2nd Edition mayhaps I'll finally just give in and get it.

message 29: by Jim, Keeper of the Pattern (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 976 comments Our 3 are all out & own their own houses, but I still have some books in boxes. Come to think of it, I just bought 2 more book cases, filled them, & didn't get any out of boxes. I guess some of us will just always own more books than we have shelves for.
;)

message 30: by Casey (new)

Casey | 25 comments Oh before our first was born we had one of our three bedrooms as a dedicated library with nearly all our books in there.... I keep thinking that someday we'll be able to get them back out. If I keep working toward that goal it may eventually become a reality.

Course when Dad passed, almost nobody wanted his books but me and I don't have anywhere to put them so luckily Mom still has those... just more space needed. hehe.

I think you're right, some of us may just find ourselves with more books than we have shelves for.