Book lovers discussion

Random > Favorites of 2010

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarah23l) So I'm curious - what were your favorite reads of 2010?

message 3: by Nadia (new)

Nadia A (bagambo) My favorite reads for 2010 were:

The Passage
The Unit
The Book Thief
Dracula
Her Fearful Symmetry

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarah23l) I'm planning to read The Book Thief and Dracula next year! Glad to hear they are noteworthy :-)

message 5: by Nadia (new)

Nadia A (bagambo) Sarah, I'm planning on reading Fingersmith next year - so I'm glad you included it in your 2010 favorites. I'm looking forward to it.

You will definitely enjoy both The Book Thief and Dracula - they are definitely noteworthy reads.

Happy Holidays!

message 6: by ms.petra (new)

ms.petra (mspetra) | 39 comments The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
Game Change
The Book Thief
A Dog's Purpose
My Reading Life

One of my goals for 2011 is to squeeze in a classic and a nonfiction every month. Most of my books for 2010 were new or within the last 5 years. I had a good balance between fiction and nonfiction and hope to keep that going.

message 7: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) I think the Collected Works of Roger Zelazny books were my favorites, although my reread of the entire Matt Helm series was a lot of fun, too. For nonfiction, Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex by Mary Roach was definitely the top read. She does such a great job handling tough subjects.

message 8: by Angela (new)

Angela (bookangel2) | 220 comments In 2010, I read some great historical fiction. I particularly enjoyed,"The Redemption of Alexander Seaton" and "Game of Sorrows", both by Shona MacLean and featuring the same main character. I also loved "The Owl Killers" by Karen Maitland and "The White Queen" by Philippa Gregory. "The Book of Negroes" by Lawrence Hill was very good and I loved "The Help" by Kathryn Stockett.

message 9: by Alese (new)

Alese (ireadtoescapereality) | 7 comments My favorite book of 2010 was "Message in a Bottle by NS

message 10: by Angela (new)

Angela (bookangel2) | 220 comments Have just remembered - how could I forget!! - loved the Stieg Larsson Millenium Trilogy.

message 11: by Diane (last edited Dec 28, 2010 12:00AM) (new)

Diane  (dianedj) here's all of mine -- Russian Winter by Daphne Kalotay

Let the Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist

Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë

message 12: by Yassemin (last edited Dec 28, 2010 01:22AM) (new)

Yassemin (yas666) | 59 comments Pillars of the Earth
World Without End
The historian(reread)

message 13: by Chris (new)

Chris Stanley (christinelstanley) I have read some teriffic books this year - and a few not so good, these are my favourites;
Stieg Larsson's Millenium Trilogy
Shona MacLean's The Redemption of Alexander Seaton and A Game of Sorrows
Kathryn Stockett's The Help
Dawn French's A Tiny Bit Marvellous
CJ Sansom's Dissolution
David Nicholls's One day

message 14: by Shelli (last edited Dec 28, 2010 08:00PM) (new)

message 15: by Diane (new)

Diane  (dianedj) Good books, Shelli!

message 16: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) I read "The Art of Racing in the Rain" this year, too. That was a fantastic book. Not my normal read at all, in fact, I should have hated it, but I loved it!
;-)

message 17: by Diane (new)

Diane  (dianedj) You can't hate Enzo ;)

message 18: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) No, you can't. Afterward, I read a Dog on It by Spencer Quinn. Not as good as "Racing in the Rain" but it was fun.

message 19: by Diane (new)

Diane  (dianedj) Jim, is that a series? I think I've seen them at Borders, there's two of them, right?

message 20: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) Yes. I haven't read the 2d one yet, though.

message 21: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
I think mine would have to be The Millenium series. So good!!

message 22: by Curlyhair (new)

Curlyhair Mine have to be;
City of Bones
One for the Money
8th Confession
Bloodwork