Books on the Nightstand discussion

A little contest just for our Goodreads BOTNS friends

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann (last edited Jul 30, 2008 08:29AM) (new)

Ann (akingman) | 2097 comments Mod
I've got an advanced reading copy of The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo that I want to give to a member of our Goodreads group.

description

The book is being published in September, and is one of the best books I've read this year. It was originally published in Sweden, and has been a bestseller in every country where it was published. I'd call it The DaVinci Code of Scandinavia in terms of how it has sold there. While some would call it a mystery or crime thriller, it's really much more than that. The main female character is fantastic, and one of the most memorable women I've read. A bookseller who mostly reads poetry said it was the best novel she'd read in years, and people who don't normally like mystery have found it to be an incredible read.

Want it? Here's how you can win.

Post a message in this thread telling us about the *one* book that you most often recommend to friends or others who are looking for a good book. If you don't have one, make it up.

You must have joined our Goodreads group prior to Wed. July 30th in order to win -- the contest is to reward members of our community for their support.

Entries close on Saturday, August 9th at 11:59 EST. We'll choose a winner randomly on Sunday, August 10, which is the day before my vacation starts.

message 2: by Savvy (new)

Savvy  (savvysuzdolcefarniente) | 102 comments That looks like a very interesting book Ann!

Now...about recommending books...gadzooks!...I'm all over the place doing that! There are so many fantastic reads!

But I'm going to go with PRINCESS BRIDE by S. Morganstern...Classic Tale of True Love and High Adventure because it crosses all age and sex barriers...there's a story in there for everyone.

And it begins with reading a book! :-)

"The Grandson: A book?
Grandpa: That's right. When I was your age, television was called books. And this is a special book. It was the book my father used to read to me when I was sick, and I used to read it to your father. And today I'm gonna read it to you.
The Grandson: Has it got any sports in it?
Grandpa: Are you kidding? Fencing, fighting, torture, revenge, giants, monsters, chases, escapes, true love, miracles...
The Grandson: Doesn't sound too bad. I'll try to stay awake.
Grandpa: Oh, well, thank you very much, very nice of you. Your vote of confidence is overwhelming."

message 3: by Taueret (new)

Taueret | 42 comments I always recommend (and lend) "The Memory of running" by Ron McLarty as no one has heard of it and everyone who reads it loves it.

message 4: by Lynnea (new)

Lynnea Taylor (lynnealtaylor) | 13 comments I often recommend Three Bags Full by Leonie Swann because it's different, funny and engaging. And I think most anyone of any reading level or interest would enjoy it.

message 5: by Michael (new)

Michael (mkindness) | 537 comments Mod
Taueret-

I've been meaning to read THE MEMORY OF RUNNING ever since it was the the Rhode Island state read (last year, I think.)

message 6: by Summer (last edited Jul 31, 2008 01:21PM) (new)

Summer | 49 comments I often recommend The Alienist because I feel that it is suitable for a variety of reading genre preferences and it is not gender specific. I know that’s not exactly PC, but it is what it is. There is some violent imagery, so I usually give a little disclaimer with it, but I think that more people are now accustomed to crime scene images from television. The setting of New York City is familiar, but novel because of being at the turn of the century. I have loaned or otherwise recommended this book to several people and all seem to have enjoyed it. My copy is now highly worn, but it hasn’t been stolen yet.

I'll loan it to you for your vacation, Ann. ;)

message 7: by Stephen (new)

Stephen (sawinkler) | 45 comments It's got to be The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay. It works for those who want a casual read, those who enjoy good writing, and those who like to dig into symbolism, metaphors and all that other English 101 stuff. And it doubles as a history of America, post-war.

I used to think I loved it only because I used to collect comics, but my wife read it and loved it, so not only is it NOT geek specific, it is also NOT gender specific (and Summer, there are definitely gender specific books out there, don't let 'em tell you different).

message 8: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (kaelesa) | 39 comments My most recommended book over the years is probably "Dragonriders of Pern" by Anne McCaffrey. Most of the people I recommend books to have similar tastes to mine, so they know it's sci-fi/fantasy.

message 9: by Catyche (new)

Catyche | 18 comments I always recommend two books: "Wintering" by Kate Moses and "Blue Pills: A Positive Love Story" by Frederik Peeters which is a graphic novel. Both are amazing and deal with themes of love, parenting, sacrifice and death. But they also have really hopeful tones to them.

message 10: by Taueret (new)

Taueret | 42 comments Michael, you won't be sorry- I'd even encourage you to let it jump the queue.

message 11: by Barbara (new)

Barbara My most recommended book is The Beggar Maid by Alice Munro. It is a collection of short stories about Flo and Rose, her stepdaughter. Each story could stand alone, but they also follow the evolving relationship between these two women over the years. Munro is a master at describing the details in relationships that no one wants to admit they see. And, I think she is at her best in this collection.

message 12: by Ann (new)

I love reading everybody's recommendations.

A note: I heard from someone that they felt funny entering the contest because they hadn't posted prior to this, and they didn't want to be seen as "greedy."

The reality is that this contest is partly to get the lurkers out of hiding. It's perfectly fine to leave a comment here and never comment again. Just being a member of the group is great support, and you are as eligible as anyone to win.

So please, jump in and post.

Thanks.

message 13: by Kathrin (new)

Kathrin Stacked'n'Painted (kathrinp) | 11 comments That one is easy!
To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee - it's a book that is not as well-known here in Germany, which I really can't understand. I love that book and always recommend it to my friends and acquaintances here.
Oh, and I don't count in for the contest, okay? ;)

message 14: by JT (last edited Aug 03, 2008 08:27AM) (new)

JT (jtishere) | 43 comments I would have to say my #1 recommendation is East of Eden by John Steinbeck. It's one of my favorite novels (if not absolute favorite). Steinbeck was such a gifted writer, and his rendering of place, character, and narrative just completely mesmerized me in this book. I always find myself lost in whatever novel I read, but never more completely and fully than in Eden. I have vivid memories of being swept away while reading this book, and to this day - 5 years after reading it - I find myself thinking about the characters every once in a while. Just writing about it makes me want to read it all over again.

message 15: by Ann (new)

Kathrin, why don't you count for the contest? Perhaps you've already read the book? (I know it was published there awhile ago).

I'm fascinated that To Kill A Mockingbird is not as well known there. It's one of my top 10.

JT - I read East of Eden in high school, but don't have much of a memory. I will have to go back to it.

message 16: by Kathrin (new)

Kathrin Stacked'n'Painted (kathrinp) | 11 comments Ann, I'm in Germany, that's why I figured it would be easier if I didn't count for the contest.
It's a pity To Kill A Mockingbird is not as well known here. That's why I recommend it every chance I get ;)
Kathrin

message 17: by Ann (new)

Kathrin, everybody here counts, regardless of where you are. OK, I should qualify that -- as long as the mail can get to you, you're in. If you live on some remote island where I need to charter a plan to get you the book, well, call me and I'll read it to you over the phone :)

message 18: by Adriana (new)

Adriana (adrianacontreras) Ok...so here it goes. The one book that I always recommend to people is "7 Habits of Highly Effective People." I know most people aren't into reading self-help books but books offer us so much knowledge as it is and when we find a book that builds upon our character and our self-esteem, it's difficult not to accept it into our repetoir of books.

This book helped me find myself at a time where I wasn't even lost. It just made me grow into a woman that I could admire and respect and it taught me how to pass on this beautiful knowledge to my daughter. It is a fantastic read and you can read it over and over again and always learn something new.

I highly recommend it.

message 19: by Michael (new)

Michael (mkindness) | 537 comments Mod
I love this topic thread and am so glad that Ann started it! Thanks to everyone who has posted!

I'm particularly glad that you weighed in Adriana. Too often we think of favorite books being only fiction. There's a reason non-fiction books like 7 Habits live on the bestseller lists for years on end!

message 20: by Ann (new)

Mark, that sounds fascinating. I've never read de Botton but do have The Architecture of Happiness here for in 'someday' pile.

Thanks for the post.

message 21: by Laura (new)

Laura | 90 comments I most often recommend Possession by A.S. Byatt -- published in 1990, I believe. I've probably read it at least three times and it's not a short book. The "hooks" for me are the literary theme (modern day scholars studying Victorian era writers), the dual storylines (one in present day, one in the Victorian era), there's a bit of a mystery, and, I'm not ashamed to admit it, the fact that romance does enter into play. :-)

message 22: by Julie (new)

Julie M (woolyjooly) | 280 comments I always like to recommend an author from my state. Lately it's been 'Peace Like a River' by Leif Enger. I even found a good used hc copy for my swap buddy on Ravelry in June! Of course it's very hard to come up with one book to suggest, depending on the age, gender and tastes of the person.

message 23: by Summer (new)

Summer | 49 comments Laura, I just started Possession this morning. It seems promising.

message 24: by JT (new)

JT (jtishere) | 43 comments Possession has been on my TBR list for forever. Methinks I should move it up.

message 25: by Laura (new)

Laura | 90 comments Summer & JT -- all I can say is hurray and enjoy! :-)

message 26: by Kathrin (new)

Kathrin Stacked'n'Painted (kathrinp) | 11 comments Thanks, Ann!
No remote island, more like Frankfurt/Main, Germany ;)

message 27: by Ann (new)

Drumroll, please ....
The winner of THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO advanced reading copy is ........

Mark!!!!!

Congratulations, Mark -- I'll shoot you a private message also, but please email me your mailing address and I'll put it in the mail.

I'm leaving for vacation tomorrow (Tuesday), so if you can get me your address today, I'll mail it before I leave -- otherwise I'll take it with me and mail it when I can from the road.

Congratulations!