The Plantagenets discussion

Books > I want your movie recommendations!!!

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nan (new)

Nan Hawthorne (nanhawthorne) What movies that take place in the Middle Ages do you love best? Here's a way to answer the question and get a reward.

1. Visit http://www.medieval-novels.com.

2. Look at the entries already in Movies & TV.

3. If your favorite is not there, add it at"

http://medieval-novels.blogspot.com/p...

Put you full name in "Source".

On January 1 we will draw one name to receive one of the following, your choice:

- Copy of Nan Hawthorne's "An Involuntary King" or of "Alehouse Tales", due out late spring 2011.
or
- Copy of Druidsong's album "Rebels and Rogues".
or
- Gift certificate for $20 to amazon.com

The medieval-novels.com site relaunches officially on January 1.

Spread the word.. unless you want to improve the odds you will be chosen.

--
Respectfully,

Nan Hawthorne
Author, blogger, broadcaster and songwriter
www.nanhawthorne.com

Celtic holiday music at www.radiodedanann.com

message 2: by Jacinta (new)

Jacinta Hoare | 5 comments Do we cast our votes here?

I can't help myself - "A Knights Tale" makes me smile every time I think of it. Not particularly high-brow but that's my sense of humour anyway.

... and as an Aussie I need to cast a vote for our Heath.

message 3: by BookAddict (new)

BookAddict (bookaddictgirrl) Added a couple of movies. Didn't show up. Is there a delay?

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I really enjoy watching, A Knight's Tale also. :) Very entertaining!

message 5: by Hyarrowen (last edited Jul 02, 2012 12:20AM) (new)

Hyarrowen | 11 comments Sir Kenneth Branagh's 'Henry V'. In fact that's my favourite film ever. (Though I also enjoyed 'A Knight's Tale' - they really did their research on that.)

message 6: by Hyarrowen (new)

Hyarrowen | 11 comments St Crispin's Day gives me goosebumps every time, and the whole thing is an examplar of How To Do It - and on a budget of about ninepence, too!

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 75 comments Also with Jeremy Irons as Henry IV (and Julie Walters as Mistress Quickly).

message 8: by Susan (new)

Susan (suereadsbooks) My favourite film in this period is The Lion in Winter starring Peter O'Toole as Henry II And Katherine Hepburn as Eleanor. Amazing acting and script.

message 9: by happy (last edited Apr 03, 2014 10:01AM) (new)

happy (happyone) | 142 comments I'll stay with Peter O'Toole as Henry II, but change the film to Becket

message 10: by Susan (new)

Susan (suereadsbooks) Just found Lady Jane starring a young Helena Bonham Carter. Forgot I had this one. Must watch it again. Tells the tragic story of Lady Jane Grey - the nine day queen.

message 11: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (wendyloveridge) I know it probably doesn't count but William Marshal....The Greatest Knight.... was on UK TV last week.
That man was amazing!

message 12: by Susan (new)

Susan (suereadsbooks) I have recorded it to watch this weekend. Did you watch The Plantagenet series too?

message 13: by Susan (new)

Susan (suereadsbooks) I have just remembered a great movie - well I love it - Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead. If you enjoy Hamlet You will enjoy Stoppard's play as two minor characters take centre stage. Still counts as medieval; it's fiction based on fiction in a medieval setting. Stars Gary Oldman and Tim Roth.

message 14: by Mark (new)

Mark Beaulieu | 19 comments Perhaps the best ever Eleanor of Aquitaine performance, even exceeding Katharine Hepburn, is a four minute gem from the 1997 TV series Ivanhoe starring Siân Phillips as Eleanor at 70. In this scene she must rejoin her two famous sons, John and Richard. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwRu2Q...

message 15: by Mark (last edited Apr 04, 2014 10:45AM) (new)

Mark Beaulieu | 19 comments Nan wrote: "What movies that take place in the Middle Ages do you love best? Here's a way to answer the question and get a reward..."
My browser returns:
"Sorry, the website www.medieval-novels.com cannot be found"

message 16: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (wendyloveridge) Yes Sue I watched the Plantagenets, did you, it was fantastic although I was a little disappointed John of Gaunt was hardly mentioned, especially given the contribution he made to the Royals of this Country. I am listening to Conn Iggulden's Stormbird (War of the Roses) on audio download at the moment. I'm really enjoying it.

message 17: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (wendyloveridge) I haven't even heard of the film you mention Sue...sounds interesting.

message 18: by Susan (new)

Susan (suereadsbooks)

message 19: by Jane (new)

Jane Sue wrote: "I have just remembered a great movie - well I love it - Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead. If you enjoy Hamlet You will enjoy Stoppard's play as two minor characters take centre stage. Still co..."

Agreed!

message 20: by Jane (new)

Jane I never tire of the Ivanhoe from the 50s[?] w/ Robert Taylor and Elizabeth Taylor.