Axis Mundi X discussion

What are you reading this month?

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Servius  Heiner  | 1980 comments Mod
What’s on your real reading list this month? If you’re like me you have a massive "dream" to read list here on good reads that you never seem to get to. I'm working on changing this and slowly but surly correcting bookshelves.

At any rate, I'm currently reading "Black Bodies and Quantum Cats: Tales from the Annals of Physics" It is basically a history if Physics kicking off with Leonardo. It is an interesting and light read. I suggest it for anyone that wants to know just how physics affects or every day lives.

message 2: by Hayley (new)

Hayley | 576 comments I'm reading Four Past Midnight by Stephen King and will be starting on The Tailsman also by Stephen King soon.

I also want to trying reading Midnights Children, I started a few weeks back adn couldn't get into it so I'm going to give it another try.

message 3: by Rusty (new)

Rusty (rustyshackleford) When it comes to reading, my eyes are bigger than my stomach, so I’m reading several books at the moment, and I’ll never finish them all before the library wants them back. I’m reading a beginners’ book about Stephen Hawking in Spanish. It is also tracing the history of physics, and it has my head spinning. I’m also Reading “Song of Kali,” by Dan Simmons. It’s a horror novel based in Calcutta, and it’s pretty good. I just started “The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford.” It’s good so far. I’m listening to “How The Irish Saved Civilization” in the car, and that’s a bit dry, but interesting. I’m completely neglecting “A Short History of Nearly Everything,” by Bill Bryson. It would be better if he were as clever as he thinks he is.

message 4: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony Huh, that physics book sounds interesting.

I'm reading the Dalai Lama's book on healing anger (I need it!) and start McDonald's "River of Gods" last night. When the family's gone I should have time to delve seriously into both. I also want to finish the Pynchon...

I don't really care for pretentious writers. Pull the uppity stick out yer ass and just write.

You might want to try "Black Bodies and Quantum Cats: Tales from the Annals of Physics" Rusty it is really a light read. I believe you would understand it, even if you never has a science class in your life... well that might be pushing it, but it is really easy to follow.

message 7: by Rusty (new)

Rusty (rustyshackleford) Okay, Nick – it’s in the queue. I really would like to understand matters of science better. In high school I just got in my mind that science sucked, so I didn’t really try to retain anything, but I would like to broaden my horizons in that department.

Science doesn't suck! Oh Oh My head hurts now. Science is the sweet sweat of nerdom. Embrace it and it will take care of you. Scorn it, and the world will collapse in on itself. Repent good sir.

message 9: by Rusty (new)

Rusty (rustyshackleford) I know, I’m trying.

Try not, there is no try only do. You either do, or you do not. No try.

message 11: by Rusty (new)

Rusty (rustyshackleford) ::Concentrates as he psychically removes (science-hating) mental blocks::

Oh, now I see – F=G m1m2
R2

You jest sir!

Really though you don't need to grasp the mathematics of it to understand the principle. It's all about delivery ;)

RA, What is Pynchon... I don't think I have herd of that one.

Dry red eyes }:-)

Do you know what/who Pynchon is Donna? I looked it up and it might be a writter, but RA made it seem like a book????

Ok so he/she is an author... I don't think I have ever herd the name before. My wife would probably scream if I said that too her.

message 16: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony Yes, what Donna said, although I'm the lame slacking group member...Pynchon is too hard to read on the side of my kids' baseball games.

message 17: by Lori (last edited Jul 30, 2008 01:27PM) (new)

Lori After 30 pages, I decided I didn't want to work my brain so hard during the summer so returned the Pynchon to the library.

I liked that Bill Bryson book alot! I admit it's been sitting neglected for a year now about 2/3 thru. It was the first time I ever really got quantum physics. And the Theory of Relativity is so simple when it's described with the 2 trains, but then I get fuddled with the expanded theories.

Since I love physics, I'm going to get that book, Nick, thanks!

I'm in the middle of Cloud Atlas.

message 18: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony I liked Bryson's "Lost Continent." I'd read more of him.

message 19: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

Charissa (dakinigrl) | 3620 comments Mod
I'm reading a book about how the Chinese discovered America originally. It's fascinating, but a little scary. The Chinese are going to take over the world, you all know that, right?

message 20: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

He he he. Yes.

message 21: by Misty (new)

Misty I like Bryson. Made in America and The Mother Tongue were both required reading for a study of English language course I took. Very amusing. I keep meaning to try something else, but I never have "THE LIST" with me when at the library.

Right now, I'm reading more YA books for summer reading. Heat by Mike Lupica is the current one.

Tim (Mole) The Gunslinger (Mole) | 62 comments At the moment im reading Candle Night py Phil Rickman and The Right Hand of Evil by John Saul

message 23: by Cyril (last edited Jul 30, 2008 06:44PM) (new)

Cyril I'm working my way through the Modern Library's 100 best novels. I'm on The Ambassadors by Henry James but am also making my way through the History of Art (Janson) and the Classic Hundred Poems.

Sometimes I hate seeing what other people are reading because I know I'll never get to everything good out there.

message 24: by RandomAnthony (last edited Jul 31, 2008 02:01AM) (new)

RandomAnthony Henry James is the best sedative known to man. I believe surgeons have their patients read Henry James right before operations.

Sarah, I LOVED Oscar Wao...I think Char did too.

message 25: by Not Bill (new)

Not Bill | 1062 comments There was an earlier thread. A book penned by Erwin Rommel was at debate. For the record, it wasn't "Attack". The book that was in pursuit was "Panzer Greift an"..."The Tank in War" . I'm just finishing it. Finally I can say: "Rommel, you magnificent bastard - I read yer book!"

message 26: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

Oscar Wao is the best read this year so far. I'm passing it along to my mama.

message 27: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

w00t!! Now that's a happy email. Libraries ROCK!!!