Software Engineering discussion

The Mythical Man-Month > Plan to Throw One Away

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Erik (new)

Erik | 165 comments I really like the "Plan the system for change". I think it briefly hits most of the OO and iterative life cycle concepts.

The "Plan the Organization for Change" is still an unsolved problem from what I've experienced. Cross-training developers for a matrix-like organization structure hasn't ever worked in the medium/small companies I've worked for.

The project scalability topics discussed very early are great. A lot of software can suffer from "works on my machine, but doesn't work in production". It's non-trivial (and not free) to get a realistic implementation up and running. This is more true today with the Web and distributed systems.

I was happy to read "Systems program building is an entropy-decreasing process", because I've always felt that to be true too.

My favorite chapter so far by far.

message 2: by Brad (new)

Brad (bradrubin) | 264 comments Mod
Lots of good stuff here, I agree.

I find that the first of any piece of software, especially with some newer technology, is a throw-away and requires a second start to get it right. I am glad that this chapter highlights the problems of changing customer requirements too. As you mentioned, this is a precursor to iterative methods.

I lived the dual-ladder in IBM, and I think it is a very powerful organizational technique.

The maintenance problems discussed in this chapter, along with the organizational issues, have not gone away today, although techniques such as OO that increase cohesion and decrease coupling help.

The entropy increasing idea has been "formalized" in the Big Ball of Mud design pattern. See:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_ball...