75 Books...More or Less! discussion

Archive (2011 Completed) > Don's Most Excellent Reading Adventure

Comments Showing 1-50 of 118 (118 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 2: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

Andrea | 4124 comments Mod
Awesome Don!!

Don (The Book Guy) (donthelibrarian) 1. Chosen: the Lost Books, Vol. 1 by Ted Dekker.

I've had some students tell me about this author so when I saw a cheap copy at a bookstore yesterday I picked it up. I really liked the characters and read it quickly. I don't reach much fantasy/scifi anymore but I liked this enought to track down the rest of the series.

Don (The Book Guy) (donthelibrarian) 2. The Adventures of TinTin: King Ottokar's Sceptre by Herge (4 stars)

Don (The Book Guy) (donthelibrarian) 3. Rabbit Hole by David Lindsay-Abaire (4 stars). Excellent play about a couple dealing with the accidental death of their 6 year old son. We are looking at doing an adapted version for a school forensics competition.

Don (The Book Guy) (donthelibrarian) 4. Infidel:The Lost Books, Vol. 2 by Ted Dekker (3 stars)

Don (The Book Guy) (donthelibrarian) 5. The Tenth Man: a Novel by Graham Greene. (3 stars)

message 8: by Christy (new)

Christy (christy_t) You are off to a great start to the year, Don!

Don (The Book Guy) (donthelibrarian) 6. Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford (3 stars). Set in Seattle alternating between the 1940's and 1986, a love story, with a backdrop of the jazz scene, Japantown and Chinatown. First novel for this author.

Don (The Book Guy) (donthelibrarian) 7. Takeru, Opera Susanoh Sword of the Devil, Vol. 1 by Kazuki Nakashima (3 stars)(manga)
8. For the Love of Autumn by Patricia Polacco (3 stars) Children's story I picked up while helping out the elementary librarian. I worked as an elementary librarian in the past and still love reading children's books, and Polacco is one of my favorites. Her "Thundercake" is one of the best.

JanB(on vacation till October) | 980 comments Don wrote: "6. Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford (3 stars). Set in Seattle alternating between the 1940's and 1986, a love story, with a backdrop of the jazz scene, Japantown and Chinatown..."

Don, I read this last year and was underwhelmed. It was OK, but I didn't think it lived up to the hype.

Don (The Book Guy) (donthelibrarian) JanB wrote: "Don wrote: "6. Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford (3 stars). Set in Seattle alternating between the 1940's and 1986, a love story, with a backdrop of the jazz scene, Japantown a..."

That was the feeling of the book group I read this for. We hope he gets better.

Don (The Book Guy) (donthelibrarian) 9. Renegade : The Lost Books, vol. 4 by Ted Dekker (3 stars)

Don (The Book Guy) (donthelibrarian) 10. Chaos: The Lost Books, vol. 4 by Ted Dekker (3 stars) Almost 2.5, Dekker switched the setting from another world to Earth in the future. Having the characters adapt to this world was not interesting and slowed the story as far as I was concerned.

Don (The Book Guy) (donthelibrarian) 11. Who Wrote the Bible? by Richard Elliott Friedman (3 stars) This is one of several books that Maphead recommended back last year. I decided to tackle the list this year and must say I am impressed by this work.

Don (The Book Guy) (donthelibrarian) 12. Character: Profiles in Presidential Courage by Chris Wallace. (2 stars) Would have been a 3 but had some terrible typographical errors and the last chapter was about George W. Bush and the invasion of Iraq. The book was written in 2004 so I don't feel that history has decided yet if his actions should be included alongside the other choices in the book.

message 17: by Tuğçe (new)

Tuğçe Gökırmak (tugcenidasevin) Don wrote: "6. Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford (3 stars). Set in Seattle alternating between the 1940's and 1986, a love story, with a backdrop of the jazz scene, Japantown and Chinatown..."

How did you find this one? and wow, 12 already?? I am way too slow for this challange this year...

Don (The Book Guy) (donthelibrarian) Our book club selected it based on reviews. Some of the 12 are really short plus we've had a lot of snow days (I work in public schools). Also, I stopped playing games on the computer, 2 years ago I got hooked on playing online games. I finally got tired of the time I was spending on them and cut it way down so I could spend more time reading.

Don (The Book Guy) (donthelibrarian) 13. A History of God: The 4,000-Year Quest of Judaism, Christianity and Islam
by Karen Armstrong

Don (The Book Guy) (donthelibrarian) 14. Cleopatra : A Life by Stacy Schiff (3 stars) Interesting read and a new evaluation of Cleopatra and her role in history. But I had some problems with making statements and not giving clear sources for the basis of the statements/evaluations.

Don (The Book Guy) (donthelibrarian) 15. The Way of the Heart: The Spirituality of the Desert Fathers and Mothers by Henri Nouwen. (4 stars)

Don (The Book Guy) (donthelibrarian) 16. Hate List by Jennifer Brown. (4 stars) Young adult novel about a school shooting and its aftermath. I teared up at the end, very emotional.

Don (The Book Guy) (donthelibrarian) 17. Kabbalah: a Very Short Introduction by Joseph Dan.

message 24: by Christy (new)

Christy (christy_t) Don wrote: "16. Hate List by Jennifer Brown. (4 stars) Young adult novel about a school shooting and its aftermath. I teared up at the end, very emotional."

This sounds like a good one! It's not a topic I've seen much written on, and it sounds like this author did a good job of it. I'll have to add it to the TBR.

Don (The Book Guy) (donthelibrarian) 18. Open Mind, Open Heart:The Contemplative Dimension of the Gospel by Thomas Keating. (2-3 stars) This is one of three books that were recommended to me when I wanted to find resources to help deepen my spiritual life. Found it somewhat repetitive, think he could have made his point in a lot fewer words, but then maybe I am not ready for this level of prayer life.

Don (The Book Guy) (donthelibrarian) This sounds like a good one! It's no..."

Another good one about school shootings taken from a different angle is "Give a Boy a Gun" by Todd Strasser. I personally feel every teacher should read it to open our eyes to the role we can play in preventing these incidents.

Don (The Book Guy) (donthelibrarian) 19. The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery. (4 stars). This book is probably not for everyone, but I found many wonderful turns of phrase, characters I liked even to the point of laughing out loud, which I hardly ever do, quietly thoughtful at the end. For a lover of thought, art and people this is a book well worth the time.

message 28: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

Don, I have this one to read. I've heard some mixed reviews, most are similar to yours. People say it's not for everyone but has a lot of good factors.

Don (The Book Guy) (donthelibrarian) I almost gave it a 5, I liked it that much, but there were a few places that could have been edited out to keep the pace moving. It is looking at the lives of 2 people and mostly their interior thinking about what is happening around them.

Don (The Book Guy) (donthelibrarian) 20. When the Pie Was Opened by Jean Little. A small book of poetry I stumbled over while straightening shelves at school. It was a delight. 5 stars. Every poem had something that attracted me or made me think of someone to share the poem with.

Don (The Book Guy) (donthelibrarian) 21. The Life You've Always Wanted by John Ortberg. (4 stars) Practical look at spiritual disciplines.

message 32: by Joy (new)

Joy | 1116 comments Don wrote: "13. A History of God: The 4,000-Year Quest of Judaism, Christianity and Islam
by Karen Armstrong"

This one looks like it'd be very interesting...I have a BA in Theology, so this kinda stuff is right up my alley!!

Don (The Book Guy) (donthelibrarian) Maphead posted a list last year of books to read before tackling a book by Bloom. This was on the list and was extremely interesting and helped me understand a lot of what I read by Jewish and Christian writers now, but it was a long read.

Don (The Book Guy) (donthelibrarian) 22. From Narnia to a Space Odyssey: The War of Ideas Between Arthur C.Clarke an C.S.Lewis edited by Ryder W.Miller (2 stars) Based on a few letters exchanged by Lewis and Clarke. Poorly edited book. If it weren't for the fact that Lewis and Clare are some of my favorite authors I probably wouldn't have finished the book. It did have a couple of short stories I had not read of Clarke's so I may have to find some of olders collections and read them. Clarke's old stuff is better than a lot of the new stuff out there.

Don (The Book Guy) (donthelibrarian) 23. Prayers by Robert Louis Stevenson, decorations and calligraphy by Hilda Scott. (3 stars) Lovely little book of prayers with an intro by Mrs. R.L. Stevenson

Don (The Book Guy) (donthelibrarian) 24. Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane. (2 stars) Well written, lots of unexpected twists and turns, but ultimately just not my cup of tea. If it wasn't for the fact this it was a group read for our book club at school I wouldn't have finished it.

Don (The Book Guy) (donthelibrarian) 25. Certain Trumpets:The Call of Leaders by Garry Wills. (3 stars) Mr. Wills looks at 16 leaders and their antitypes.

message 38: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

I recently saw Shutter Island the movie. I thought it was really good but odd...lol At the end we were all like "hmmmmm sooo that was interesing!"

Don (The Book Guy) (donthelibrarian) Book was the same.

Don (The Book Guy) (donthelibrarian) 26. For Colored Girls who have considered suicide when the Rainbow is Enuf by Ntozake Shange. (3 stars) One of my students wants to use this to compete next year in speech competitions, so I read it first so we can talk about what part to use. I had heard of it but didn't realize it was what the author called a choreopoem. It was interesting and good.

Don (The Book Guy) (donthelibrarian) 27. Pollyanna by Eleanor H.Porter (3 stars) Something the other day made me want to go find this book which I hadn't read but have seen the Disney movie I don't know how many times. Usually I hate how Disney adapts books to movies but in this case they did a good job, in fact it's even better than the book. (something I just about never say)

Don (The Book Guy) (donthelibrarian) 28. Ghostopolis by Doug TenNapel (4 stars) Graphic novel.

Don (The Book Guy) (donthelibrarian) 29. Out to Canaan by Jan Karon. (4 stars) Love this series or at least the last 4 books. When I need a break from too serious material and a pick me up I turn to this series now.

message 44: by Joy (new)

Joy | 1116 comments Don wrote: "29. Out to Canaan by Jan Karon. (4 stars) Love this series or at least the last 4 books. When I need a break from too serious material and a pick me up I turn to this series now."

I like this series too!!!

Don (The Book Guy) (donthelibrarian) 30. Foiled by Jane Yolen. (3 stars) Graphic novel,for young adults about a young girl fencer. Has fantasy elements and is obviously the first of a series because the ending leaves you hanging.

Don (The Book Guy) (donthelibrarian) 31. A New Song by Jan Karon. (5 stars)(reread) While some might fill it is fluff, to me it is everyday real and inspirational.

Don (The Book Guy) (donthelibrarian) 32. Sea of Grass by Conrad Richter. (3 stars) Set in the Arizona territory but not a typical western, more a character stuff.

message 48: by Karol (new)

Karol Don, glad to see you enjoy the Mitford series. It's one of my favorites. I really loved the author's character development throughout the series.

Don (The Book Guy) (donthelibrarian) 33. Teach Like a Champion: 49 Techniques that put Students on the Path to College by Doug Lemov. (4 stars) Motivational and practical. While not in the classroom I found several techniques to use in the library. After teaching for 24 years its never too late to learn some new tricks.

Don (The Book Guy) (donthelibrarian) 34. Shakespeare Bats Cleanup by Ron Koertge. (4 stars) Great young adult story about a boy, baseball, death, young love and all in poetry (couplets, sestina, haiku, ballad, free verse, pantoum-explaining the different types in a fun format). I really really liked this short fun read.

« previous 1 3